Friday, February 8, 2013

Favorite Romance Novel, H-m-m?


I don’t have a favorite romance novel.  Instead, I have many novels that are favorites.  I have two boxes of keeper books.  So if you are looking for ideas on what to read you won’t find it here, because I'd be hard pressed to choose only one!

I’m going to tell you what makes me love a good romance novel.  Whether it is contemporary, western, paranormal, time-travel, historical, steampunk or erotica, (yes, erotica can have a romance/love story too), all the genres have a few commonalities.

Here are five must haves:

1) You need two characters worth breathing life into.  Two people who are meant to be together, even though they may have no idea at the beginning of the novel.  Two people I will want to root for.

2) Then throw everything in their paths but the kitchen sink.  Show how they triumph over these challenges to grow in character and forge a strong relationship.

3) Anything worth having is worth fighting for and defending.  I really like the Knight in shining armor romance books.  Sigh!!  Historical or Contemporary!!

4) I like to read a romance that makes me pull for the Hero and Heroine. A book that makes me cry, laugh and maybe even clap for joy.  A book I don’t want to end, because I am loving the journey.

5) Romance novels reaffirm that Happily Ever After is possible.

The short version of what makes a romance novel, quote from Victoria Alexander.

Victoria Alexander (VictAlex@aol.com):
A romance novel is a story in which, in spite of all obstacles, the hero and heroine end up together.

And I’ll add, together and happy!

The romances that intrigue me the most are time-travels.  The heroine or hero ends up going ahead or back in time without the means of traveling through time again to reach their love interest. The authors come up with some very clever ideas for getting the lovers back together.


What are some of the things you like about Romance Novels, and what is your favorite romance genre?

15 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I love to read historicals and I think that is because history was my favorite class in school. At one point I read everything I could get my hands on about the Civil War - oddly enough I've never read 'Gone With The Wind'. My second go-to genre is contemporary. A good dose of humor is important to me, an interesting story (not too suspenseful) definitely no terror or horror scenes although that can be alluded to. I'd prefer the hero and heroine to be more ordinary i.e. not a god or goddess with people fawning all over them. Love the historical wallflower - rather a misfit but if you look more closely - you find a person of worth.

Diana McCollum said...

Hi, Judith, I love the wallflower who blossoms in the story to her full potential. Susan Wiggs wrote one I really enjoyed, a historical, "The Charm School". Thanks for commenting.

Sarah Raplee said...

I love romances of all genres with themes of underdog heroes and heroines overcoming adversity, finding family/a place where you belong, deciding who you are or who you want to be,; plots that surprise me; characters I relate to who sometimes make me laugh.

I agree with you on what makes a good romance novel, Diana.

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks, Sarah!

Paty Jager said...

I don't have a favorite genre to read but do have some I won't read. ;0)

Like you I want to love the characters not just for their chemistry but for who they are. I want to be able to laugh, cry, and worry about them while reading the book.

Good post!

Unknown said...

As long as it has a happy ending, I'm happy, too. I enjoy romances that feature a hero I can fall in love with. Some of my favorites are the old Silhouette Intimate Moments. I really miss those books. My favorites were IMs by Karen Templeton. She's a wizard at creating engaging and memorable characters.

Cecy said...

Urban Fantasy Romance is my favorite. Can't . . . live . . . without . . . it . . . ahggg gurgle.

Karen Duvall said...

Oops, that post by Caridee Vale is my alter ego. Ha! I forgot to log her out of Google. My bad. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a funny, naughty contemporary, and I LOVE urban fantasy. Except if there are vampires. You've got to work really hard to get me to like a vampire story. Which is funny, because I just finished reading one that I LOVED.

Diana McCollum said...

Hi, Paty! There are certain genres I won't read either! Horror is one of them.

Caridee Vale & Karen Duvall thanks for stopping by. Now I'm curious, is Caridee Vale a pen name?

Diana McCollum said...

Amanda, I've read several vampire/hero books. Kerrelyn Sparks does an excellent job of creating vampire heroes. A couple of Keepers I have are "Secret Life of a Vampire" and "The Undead Next Door". Thanks for stopping by!

Karen Duvall said...

Caridee Vale would be my pen name if I used one, but so far I haven't had a need to. Right now I use her for my Second Life persona, so she has an online identity separate from mine.

Diana McCollum said...

Then I've seen Caridee on Second Life!

Marie Harte said...

Great post, Diana! I especially like, "loving the journey." That's totally it. I love all romance, though I'm partial to paranormal--and the steamier, the better. :) But if I can't get into the characters, genre doesn't matter.

Marie

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by, Marie! Waving to you from across town!!