Monday, March 21, 2016

Reading like a boss.

March is reading month. Since my crazy day job is at a school, I spend the month quoting Dr. Seuss, promoting family reading, and coming up with unique ways to entice young kids to read. Then as a writer, reading has many forms. Some for research (i.e. the articles on keeping spiders as pets, the most dangerous spiders, spiders found in various regions – yes, this was research because I personal HATE spiders but the killer in my current WIP has a thing for spiders), some for improving my craft, some for critiques, so it’s often hard to fit in ‘pleasure’ reading.
I love to read! And I know it benefits my writing. But with my schedule it’s hard to squeeze the time in. I have found that if I set a reading focus it hopes me work books into my schedule.  This year I’m reading through the alphabet. My list is over on my blog – http://www.lynceeshillard.wordpress.com

Books are a uniquely portable magic ~ Stephen King
Here are a few tips on how I fit reading into my busy life…
1. Make Reading a Priority
In most every case, you can make time for what you truly want to have time for.
2. Always Have a Book Handy
I keep a few books I’m working on reading through different parts of the house, my purse, and my car. That way, if I have a few minutes of extra time, I have a book handy to pick up and read.
When I’m headed out the door for an appointment, when I’ll be riding in the passenger seat instead of driving or when I’m going anywhere that there’s a potential I might have some “dead” time, I bring a book along. Sometimes, I don’t even get to crack it open. Other times, I end up having unexpected waiting time and finish half the book!
3. Set Reading Goals
I’ve been amazed at how much more I’m reading when I have clear-cut reading goals in place. Like reading at least 2 steampunk books in addition to any other books that grab my interest with a 3 book a month minimum. I don’t do weekly goals…
This year I’m going to ‘try’ to post the books I’ve read on Pinterest. I have avoided Pinterest with the same diligence as a person would the plague but I’ve been repeatedly told that it’s wonderful….
4. Turn Off the TV and deleted Candy Crush
I’m not a big TV watcher but I did donate HOURS to Candy Crush… I don’t even want to think about the total.
5. Listen to Audiobooks
I do this while crocheting or working one of my other Linus Project blankets unless I need to focus on the pattern or I’m ‘cooking’ on a writing project. But you can listen in the car, while you’re folding laundry, while you’re exercising… any time your hands are busy but your mind is free.

These are five things I’ve done that has increased my reading time. I’d love to hear any of your suggestions/tips.


Thanks for stopping by and have a great week :D

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Lyncee, I also keep a book handy. Seldom go out the door without one! I'm not really in to audio books - was listening to one years ago and drove 20 minutes past my exit. Not a good thing because I was teaching a class!!!

Making sure I have several books available is one tip I have that brings me back to reading more. Sometimes I'm just not interested in a historical or maybe this week I am.

Pippa Jay said...

I really struggle to find reading time. But I now take a break from writing and social media during school holidays and take that time to read, and I now have both Kindle and Kobo reading apps on my phone so I carry a complete library with me at all times in case I'm stuck somewhere.

Sarah Raplee said...

Hi, Lyncee! Great post! I've been having trouble fitting in reading time for the last year, but you've inspired me to try some new strategies. Like Pippa, I have reading apps on my phone for 'wait times.'

Tell us more about the Linus Project. I'm curious!