Friday, September 30, 2016

Masks and Me

Masks and Me by Judith Ashley

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual traditions that nurture the soul.

There are several ways to interpret Romancing The Genres topic “Masks”. The masks we wear around other people to protect ourselves, the masks we wear to fool ourselves, the masks we wear for Halloween and Carnival, if we celebrate those holidays.

Judith with Snowy Owl Mask
Another type of mask is one we make and wear or, in my case, one that was made for me.

My power animal is the Snowy Owl. One of my gifted Circle sisters decided to make masks of our individual power animals. She’s made Bear, Coyote, Snowy Owl and is in the process of making her own – Badger.

Over the years I’ve made several masks for myself. They are carefully wrapped in tissue and stored away.

However, my newest mask is a different story. I want to be able to see it without the hassle of getting it out of the bag I store it in.

So, I’ve been on a quest to find something. I checked a plastic store and found the storage cube they sell when someone has a collectible or favorite football helmet. I’ve also found a small cube at a merchandise display store. I’ll take the mask there to see how it would look/fit.

Why a protective shell for it?

Feathers.

I won’t be able to vacuum it and in my house, no matter what I do, there is still some dust.

The plastic cube will allow me to see it while protecting it. I plan on opening it up every couple of weeks because the idea of my Snowy Owl mask being kept in an airless space is unsettling.

Will I wear it? Of course I will. Perhaps not constantly everyday but on those occasions when I want to feel closer to my power totem.

What are your spiritual practices that bring you comfort and peace?

Judith Ashley without Mask
You can learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series on my website.


Follow me on Twitter: @JudithAshley19

I’m also on Facebook


© 2016 Judith Ashley


2 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Daily prayer and meditation bring me comfort and peace.

So does asking myself when I am upset, "Will this matter 1000 years from now?" If it may, it's worth worrying about. If not, I can let it go.

Being in nature also helps put things in perspective.

Your post made me think. I like that!

Judith Ashley said...

Wow, Sarah, I've never gone as far out as 1000 years! I do ask myself "Does this matter in the relative scheme of things?" Usually the answer is "no". I do agree with you that it is always easier to let it go when put into perspective.