Oh, how I love the Holidays! Starting off with Thanksgiving, and this year 21 people for dinner, and ending with the magical Christmas holiday.
For the past five years I’ve made the “Pinecone Cheese Ball” for an appetizer at either Thanksgiving or Christmas. The first year my 12 year old grandson wanted to know if it was a football cheese ball. The shape had not hardened up or kept its shape as planned.
It may not always look pretty, but it is always a big hit. The Pinecone Cheese Ball is the one thing that doesn’t last. Oh there might be a tiny bit left, and does it make it to the next day? Never!
I thought I’d share this wonderful recipe with all of you.
Pinecone Cheese Ball
2 pkgs (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 pkg (3 ½ to 4 ounces) soft chevre (goat) cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Beat all ingredients in medium bowl with electric mixer on med/low speed until smooth.
- Shape mixture into upright shape like a pine cone, pointed on top, fat on the bottom waxed paper or plastic wrap
- Press sliced almonds into cheese ball, sticking the almonds up at top and angled on the rest just like a pine cone.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (2 hours but no longer than two days)
- Garnish with sprigs of rosemary around plate and grind up rye crisp crackers to sprinkle on almonds. Serve with your choice of crackers.
Another thing I enjoy about the season besides all the company, food and cheer, is to sit quietly with a cup of hot chocolate and the fireplace going and the tree lights on, and just ENJOY!
A Silent night and Christmas meditation! It’s wonderful!
Do you have a special tradition for relaxing at the holidays?