I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of person. When I set my mind on a goal, I pursue it without reserve. For instance, in high school, I loved science. I loved it so much, I dropped AP English so I could take AP Biology and AP Chemistry. I joined the Science Club and baked superconductors in the school kiln.But I’ll never forget a scholarship interview I had with some engineers. They laughed that I had included some awards for poetry in my scholarship portfolio. “A poetry writing engineer.” I can still feel the heat in my face as one man shook his head in disbelief.
Only a few months later I attended a Department of Energy science camp at Lawrence Berkley Laboratory and realized what a life of science might mean for me – sleeping on a cot in the lab so I could run experiments day and night. I knew I wanted more out of life than a lab.
Once again, that all-or-nothing side of me kicked in, and I turned my back on science in pursuit of the written word. I immersed myself in Stephen King, Anne Rice, Jean Auel, and Andre Norton. I majored in English in college, and even started my first novel as my senior thesis. Fantasy, Romance, Horror. I wanted to write it all.
Now, twenty years later (yes, that’s telling my age a little) I have finally found my “voice.” And guess what? It happens to be smack dab in the middle of my two favorite subjects – science and fiction. I guess the pendulum had to swing both ways before coming to rest.
Do you have a passion that influences other parts of your life? How have you found a balance?
© Tam Linsey, 2011. All rights reserved.
Cross posted at www.TamLinsey.com

I love how you've combined your passions, Tam.
ReplyDeleteFor me, my passion is using my god-given talents to make a positive impact on the world, bring people together and help them to understand themselves.
As a little girl, I wanted to be a writer. I learned so much from books! In high school, I thought I wanted to be a wildlife biologist. I'd always loved animals and biology had opened a whole new world to me. But I wanted a family more than I wanted to live in a tent and study animal behavior. (Sound familiar?) And still, I wrote.
I've always loved learning new things, problem-solving, having adventures, and traveling. And meeting people, of course!
So after a long time I returned to my childhood dream with the experience, support, direction and confidence to make it come true.
We sound very similar, Sarah :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I love this post, Tam. :)I guess my love for history and English is what spurred me into the historical fiction genre. I tried to write contemporary, even enjoyed it for, like, 4 chapters... But in the end, I went running back to Regency, Victorian, even Medieval England/Ireland/Scotland. That was my first love as a kid in school, and I guess it always will be.
ReplyDeleteWe've travelled similar paths, although I did do the science route first, Biochemistry and Computer Science. Never had to sleep in a cot inthe lab, thank God, but I did spend the night in a hospital bed when I worked at the University of Chicago clinical chemistry labs. (The things we do for our passions).
ReplyDeleteI learned to create in the sciences, and now I'm creating in the world of literature.
Thoughtful post, Tam. I love the picture of the rock...that I can relate to - sometimes there is a very small piece keeping us connected to our world. It's hard for me to identify an all consuming passion - what I can say is that having a life filled almost to the brim with joy and happiness is something I focus on each day. And, that focus does keep me in balance, brings me back from the swings to the dark-side, and provides me with what I need to write, raise my granddaughter, be with my friends, take care of myself - all those small and not so small events that make up my life.
ReplyDeleteAlyssia, I tried contemporary, too! ANd while I enjoyed it, It wasn't my passion.
ReplyDeleteB.A., Love to hear of your experience in the sciences.
Judith, a full life should be a goal of most writers, I think. It gives us fodder for the next novel :)