Monday, October 7, 2013

When Evil comes Knocking by Paty Jager

I don't believe in werewolves, vampires, and other dark world creatures. But I also don't like to read books or watch shows about them or anything that is scary and heinous. There's a reason I close my eyes and hide my face when commercials for scary movies and supernatural TV shows flash across my television screen.

Some nights without watching or reading anything that is ghastly I can be visited by vile ugly creatures in my dreams. And not just my dreams. Many nights I'll wake up and snuggle up to my husband after thrashing to wakefulness from being chased by the menacing creatures, and when I try to close my eyes and go back to sleep they are lurking behind my eyelids. Then I spend long hours with my eyes wide open so I can keep them out of my head.

I thought these were just my own fears attacking me until I had a long thoughtful conversation with one of my daughter's friends when we drove from Oregon to Montana to a wedding. It seemed she spent many nights being chased or chasing creatures who sounded a great deal like my creatures. But she was resigned to the fact her grandmother told her she was a keeper of the gates. That at night while she slept, she battled the creatures of Hell to keep them from entering this world and causing havoc. This young woman was completely sincere when she said, "I am a keeper of the gate and even if I lose sleep, I need to be there. It's why I am on this earth."

What she said sounded a lot like a paranormal book, but she was serious about her part in keeping the evil out of this world.

I don't know if I'm a gate keeper like she is, but I would like to think my running from the evil and staying awake is one way of thwarting them.

Paty Jager
www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com


7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Fascinating, Paty. I also guard myself from 'scary' anything. I've always thought it was because I know enough evil or evil doers are wrecking havoc all around me and if I don't guard myself, I do have horrendous dreams. Not so much about the vampires, etc. but much more about man's inhumanity to man that I am in some way a part of in the dream. I like the idea of being a gatekeeper...that those sleepless nights have a purpose other than my being sleep deprived the next day.

Diana McCollum said...

Good post, Paty! Never thought about you being a Gate Keeper, but if you are, thanks you! The less evil anything in this world the better.

Paty Jager said...

Judith, It is amazing how much our minds digests and what they make of it. The gatekeeper image has helped me deal better with the dreams.

Thanks Diana. Not sure I'm a gate keeper since I tend to shirk from my duty, but it helps to make sense of the nasties.

Paty Jager said...

Forgot to click the follow-up comments...

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone in wanting to avoid scary stuff. Also an interesting perception of being a Gatekeeper. Sounds like that young woman is very thoughtful. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Raplee said...

What an interesting post!The concept of Gate Keepers resonates.

My daughter has been plagued by nightmares since she was a small child. I will make sure she reads your post!

Paty Jager said...

Hey Genene! I don't understand all the shows they have now that are scary. Why would people want to watch that kind of stuff???

Hi Sarah! If this helps your daughter then I've done a good deed with my own scaries.