Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Writing Lessons of a Lifetime by Kristin Wallace

The theme on Romancing the Genres for August is “life-changing events”. It took some thought to come up with mine. What one event changed my life? Truthfully, every event changes your life in some way. I don’t have a husband or kids…things that many might say changed their lives...so it’s hard to pin down.

Then I thought about my writing journey and how long it took to become a published author. My true success began the day I went to my first Florida Romance Writers (FRW) meeting in 2005. FRW is the Southeast Florida chapter of Romance Writers of America. 

When I joined FRW, I had been “writing” for a long time, but it never went anywhere because I had no idea what I was doing. Joining FRW literally changed my life. Now, I am not a natural “joiner”. I’m a classic introvert. I HATE walking in to a room full of strangers. But I walked into that room…and I stayed.

I learned how to write a novel. Each month I would learn something different, from crafting sentences, to dialogue, to marketing, and the ins and outs of publishing. I would often go home thinking I would NEVER get it. There was so much to learn! But I did learn it.


I also gathered a wonderful group of writer friends whom I adore. There were mentors, critique partners, people who would share their expertise, those who encouraged when needed. I can honestly say I would not have a writing career without FRW and the many people who have taught me what it means to be an author.

Kristin Wallace is the USA Today Best Selling Author of inspirational and sweet contemporary romance filled with “Love, Laughter and a Leap of Faith”. Look for her latest release coming SOON! A 2-book box set containing LEFT TURN AT PARADISE and COMING HOME TO PARADISE, Book 1 and Book 1.5 of the Shellwater Key Tales. Find out more about her books at Kristin's Website

You can also connect on social media: Facebook Twitter Instagram


1 comment:

Judith Ashley said...

I totally agree, Kristin. I'm not a joiner but---my deciding to jump in with both feet did change my life. I won an hour chat with Alexis Harrington at a Willamete Writers conference. She told me if I was serious about writing romance, I had to join RWA and a local chapter. Life altering advice!

What got you through the door of FRW the first time?