Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What do you MEAN a different genre?

I never meant to write in another genre.

Okay, technically I'm not; I'm still writing historical stories. My hero is still a Hansen - my brand's fictional family from Arendal, Norway (Norway is the new Scotland!). And my hero and heroine are older and have tragedies in their backgrounds; backgrounds which shape who they are when they meet.

But Brander is different. He's deaf. And he's a private investigator in 1720 Norway: "A Discreet Gentleman of Discovery."

I didn't know he was going to be more than one book's worth of stories when I finished the first one. But, dang. He's way too hot to let go of! So he became a trilogy. That decision was easy.

Desert Breeze Publishing agreed. I was offered three book contracts based on the strength of the first book, all set for release in 2012.

Now I need to write two more stories. And since the hero and heroine are married, the continuation and maturation of their romance is the secondary plot, and the crime has moved to the forefront. That's the hard part: blending genres.

Because now I am writing crime dramas. Historical, sure; I'm used to that. But crime? This is a whole new set of rules. A new set of conflicts. A doling out of information. A misleading of the audience. The decision of who knows what and when do they know it.

And a conclusion of the crime that relates to the hero and heroine's conflicts!

What was I thinking?

Never one to shy away from a challenge, I am pushing my way through manuscript Number Two. I went to a workshop, and took an online class to be sure I understood the components of the crime genre. It's hard, but it's also exciting when it works.

How these three books are categorized will be up to Desert Breeze. But frankly, it doesn't matter. As eBooks and POD (print on demand) they don't need to be filed on a particular shelf anywhere. People who have read my previous works will find these as well - by searching for me.

Meanwhile, the next two books in the Hansen series: Loving the Norseman and Loving the Knight are now available on Amazon, Kindle, Nook & Smashwords!




5 comments:

Vicky L said...

Combining genres sounds like a great way to keep the conflict fresh with much loved characters, Kriss. These sound like terrific new books!

Judith Ashley said...

Interesting to read how you've kept the Brand "Norway is the new Scotland" while expanding your stories.

derekd said...

I think most books we enjoy have at least one or more genre intruding at some point. Whether a bit of paranormal, crime, mystery, comedy, etc., these spice things up.

Some genres probably shouldn't cross. Having a strapping sheriff in a wild west setting who is of viking blood, and carries a big sword in addition to a 6 shooter might be over the top. Congrats on your contract, and good luck writing them.

Paty Jager said...

I think the mingling of genres makes for a better book. There is more action and it keeps the reader more engaged. I may need to pick your brain. My heroine and her family in my latest WIP are Norwegian.

Sarah Raplee said...

Kris, Your new series characters sound totally intriguing. Can't wait to read their stories!