OCTOBER
THRILLER ROMANCE


10-21 Sarah Raplee – Author of “Blindsight” Psychic Agents Series, Book One

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Victorian Halloween

Our general topic for this month is supposed to be about Blogging, the pro and cons and such, but I had a better idea to show my reason for blogging. Since this is the great and grand month of October, I thought I'd talk about a Victorian Halloween.


October 31st wasn't always the fun atmosphere it is today. Before the late 1800s, the Victorian Era, Halloween or All Hollows Eve, also known as Samhain (sa:win), was once a night to stay inside away from mischievous spirits allowed to visit the living. In the late 1800's, Americans started to mold Halloween into a more community and neighborly holiday. At the turn of the century, parties were the thing to do. They held parties for both adults and children that were as extravagant as you can image. Much more so than today's.
At the time parents were encouraged to remove anything scary or grotesque from their celebrations. Games played at both parties are the same games we play at childhood games. Bobbing for Apples, Blind Man's Bluff, Pin the Tail on the Donkey and Scavenger hunts where boys and girls could pair up and search in the night were the most common. Of course, we've always had the costumes to scare away spirits, but the Victorian era was more about the historical people, fantasy characters, and the silly that we know and love today.


Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. My family has always dressed up in costumes, including my mom, and gone trick to treating and decorated the front of our house. Now, as a mother myself, I get to make the costumes for my kids, decorate our new house and count the candy.

Thank you for joining me for this lovely Victorian Halloween Blog. How do you celebrate Halloween? What is your favorite aspect?