Thursday, October 27, 2011

WHO IS MARGARET TANNER?

I have always been a writer from as far back as I can remember. I used to write these pitiful sad little ditties, then I moved on to short stories. I was quite successful with short stories, had several published and also won a few contests.

One contest win really sticks in my mind.  Years ago I entered a competition for a sock company writing about feet.  Little feet, big feet, smelly feet, any kind of feet and guess who won?  I dutifully collected my prize - twenty pairs of socks. Dad and my brother were ecstatic, so were their feet.

I graduated to novel writing and fell in love.

I have to say I love my books, all nine of them, (sorry about the self adulation), but my favourite would be Holly And The Millionaire, my one and only published contemporary romance. It might seem strange because I call myself a historical writer, but somehow Holly got under my skin and stayed there. She was a gutsy little fighter whose soldier husband was killed in Iraq and left her with a toddler to support. She didn’t let being dealt a bum hand in the game of life defeat her.


I am a multi-published Australian author who loves delving into the pages of history as I carry out research for my historical romance novels, and I pride myself on being historically accurate. No book is too old or tattered for me to trawl through, no museum too dusty, or cemetery too overgrown. I have been known to badger elderly relatives about their past. Hard to reconcile these frail old men with brave young soldiers who sailed 12,000 miles across the sea to fight for mother England. Many of my novels have been inspired by true events, with one being written around the hardships and triumphs of my pioneering ancestors in frontier Australia.

My novels published by Whiskey Creek Press are:

Savage Utopia and its sequel Stolen Birthright

My novels published by The Wild Rose Press are:

Holly And The Millionaire   (Contemporary)
Cardinal Sin, The Trouble With Playboys, Shattered Dreams, Wild Oats, Reluctant Father, Frontier Wife


If you would like to find out more about me, my Website is:  http://www.margarettanner.com/


7 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Hi Margaret,

Welcome, welcome, welcome to RTG!

I love the sock story!

Reminded me of the only drawing I ever won, although all I did was put my name in a box. The prize was a twenty-five pound wheel of baby Swiss cheese. Guess what the neighbors got for Christmas instead of cookies? :)

I love gutsy heroines, so I must read Holly's story! Books of the heart have give the reader a little extra something, I believe.

Again, welcome. We're thrilled to have you as a Genre-ista.

Robin Weaver, Author said...

Hi Margaret,
Your sock story is inspirational. :-) Glad to have you with the Genre-istas. Welcome!

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Margaret,

The first thing I ever won was a sack of groceries when a store was remodeled and they had a 'grand opening'. I think I've won the tremendous total of $10.00 playing the lottery (and one $2.00 ticket expired before I turned it in over a year later - ).

I may not do the really old books but I have been known to badger the older relatives and haunt the historical graveyards.

I'm thrilled you are able to join us at Romancing The Genres!

Judith

P.S. I've checked Kobo and will be downloading some of your books soon. I'm not yet very skilled at it (nope, I'm not the techie person in the group - that would be Sarah).

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Judith, Robin and Sarah,
Thank you so much for the welcome, I am thrilled to be here at Romancing The Genres. I think I would have preferred winning the cheese to the socks, at least I could have eaten some of it. Graveyards are a great source of information, not that you would ever get me to go there in the dark, I am not that brave.

Regards

Margaret

Bron said...

Hi Margaret - a fellow Australasian here - I'm from NZ. I love learning about our past too. We can learn so much - hindsight is magical!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Bron,
Thanks for dropping by, I appreciate it. I have visited your fair country on two occasions and I have to say it is beautiful. Love to go back

Regards

Margaret

Unknown said...

Sorry for being a day late in commenting on your wonderful first post. Welcome to RTG! I loved your comment about no book being too old, no museum too dusty, or cemetery too overgrown. I could happily take that on as a person motto and it's great to find a like-minded fellow writer.

Christy