Friday, April 13, 2012

Cleaning The Green Way

First let me say that I am so-o-o envious of Paty Jager’s writing space pictured in her April 2, 2012 post right here on Romancing the Genres Blog.

Up until our move to the High desert in OR I had a spare bedroom that I had turned into my writing room. There were bookshelves that lined the walls, a magnificent computer stand with doors that closed and locked when not in use and even room for my exercise bike. The computer stand stood in the corner by the window. I could look out into my garden whenever I wanted to. I had all the room I could possibly need or want.
Fast forward to now. I have a small stand cramped into a corner of our T.V. room. I do have a window I can see out to the bushes and the road. My writing books are packed in the garage, except for one shelf of “How to…” and research books that have found a home on the one free shelf in the closet.

I have found with this smaller space that I have become a neater writer. My stacks of notes and papers have to be organized, dealt with or thrown away because there is no room for those stacks to grow. No free space on the floor either




Now to get back to the subject at hand, cleaning the Green Way is not only good for the environment it is good for the pocket book.

My friend and one of my critique partners, Louise P. lives in Kansas and last week sent me a list of Green Cleaning Recipes. I spoke with her today (since I haven’t tried any of the recipes) and asked her if she had tried them.

Louise said she made and tried the furniture polish and it works wonderfully. Her dining room table has never been so shiny.
So here’s the Green Recipe for wood polish:

1 cup mineral oil
25 drops of pine essential oil

Mix in a spray bottle by shaking up. Do this each time before using.
Then when you polish in the different rooms of your house it will smell like Yule time. If you don’t like pine, try cedar or clove essential oil.

What cleaning short cuts, saving time or money, do you use?

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

LOL Diana, When I started writing I had the little alcove between the bedroom and master bath that I set a small desk in.

My mother-in-law who cleans houses for over thirty years swears by hot water and vinegar to clean everything but especially windows.

Sarah Raplee said...

I love the idea of furniture polish that smells like cloves!Thanks for the tip, Diana.

And I agree with Paty's mother-in-law: White vinegar and hot water are amazing natural ingredients. They make floors shine!

Judith Ashley said...

I've a book of Green Recipes I got from Metro (a Portland governmental service) and the workshop I went to had us making our own soft scrub and cleaner. That was a few months ago and I need to purchase my own ingredients so I can make another batch - they actually last a long time in my house because they aren't used very often. Check back to my post April 6th if you want to know why.

I've been fortunate to live in my house for going on 40 years and for the past 25 at least I've had a whole room to myself. I do remember having the computer set up under the eaves in the bedroom. Thankfully that was in the 1980's and far enough in the past that any trauma associated with it is gone.

Diana McCollum said...

Paty, I have used hot water and vinegar to clean too. Great tip!

Sarah, I am thinking of trying Cinnamon. It always smells so good.

Judith, what do you use to make soft scrub?

Thanks, for stopping by everyone. Have a wonderful weekend.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Cleaning? What's that? Oh, it's something I do as little as possible. :)

Hi Diana. Your nook looks very cozy. We never have enough room for our books, do we? Nice to see your work space. Also saying hi to Louise P. if she reads this. Haven't talked to her for years unfortunately.

I am really bad and just use what is available at the time. Not much of a 'green person' except that we do recycle. Living in the mountains for so many years I sort of gave up and just name the spiders. I can keep the house picked up but with hubby bringing in firewood a couple of times a day, it is impossible to keep the house spotless. The wood stove and pellet stove are our only source of heat and since we are still getting snow, I don't worry about it anymore.

I do sound lazy, don't I. I would rather write or make my quilts instead. :)

Diana McCollum said...

You're not lazy, Marlene. Heck, if I could make beautiful quilts like you I'd probably spend the rest of my time doing that.:)) I know about the mess of wood stoves. We don't have one now, but did for 25 years.

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Diane,

The recipe for Soft Scrub is

1/2 cup baking soda and
1/4 cup vegetable based liquid soap

Mix until well-blended. Use with sponge as you would a commercial product.

I think I'll try the Wood Polish with clove oil. I've a friend who is allergic to pine so that one is out. Wonder if Lavendar Oil will work. That is my favorite essential oil.

I took an Introduction to Aromatherapy and learned to make my own air freshener and create my own 'signature' scent. That was a fun thing to do.

Diana McCollum said...

Judith,

I took an herbalist course in California. It was very interesting. Learning to make teas, soaps etc.

Thanks for the recipe!