Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fifty Shades of Yeah

Cover of my soon-to-be released book
in my Hot PurSuits Series
Guess I've been living under a rock because up until a week ago, I'd never heard of the new book phenomenon, Fifty Shades of Grey. I do have a very good excuse for being so clueless. This summer we are the homeowner builders for our new home; in the middle of selling our current home; working a full-time job; organizer of the local garden tour; president of the local Sierra Club chapter; and if that wasn't enough, moving into a rental because the old house sold and the new house isn't ready. I'm tired from writing that long sentence!

With everything going on something had to give and it's been my novel writing. I can't do it with all this chaos swirling around me. I have edits due for my next erotic novel that have been pushed off to August. I've NEVER delayed a book before. That's how crazy it's been. Now don't get me wrong. This is not a rant. I wouldn't do that to you. But it does explain why I haven't read a single thing since May. So when I started hearing people talking about this new book, I was had no idea what they were talking about.

Since I write erotica, everyone assumes that I keep up with the book market and what's hot and what's not. (Which of course I should be doing, but see above.) And judging by the talk going around in my small mountain community, Fifty Shades of Grey is hot. I was embarrassed to discover I had no clue what they were talking about so I guess I better find out.

So I'm borrowing the book from my sister-in-law and will have time on my next business trip to check out what all the excitement is about. The one thing I do know before even opening the book is that a surge of interest in erotic novels will be good for the industry and hopefully, as the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Once I get to my edits, I will have the second book in my Hot PurSuits series launch in the fall. Maybe I, too, can ride the tide of popularity.  In the meantime, I'd love to recommend some hot summer reads, but I've had no time to read (see above, again) but I do have some favorites...The Time Travelers Wife and Water for Elephants. If you haven't read either of these, pick them up. They are amazing. (Both were made into movies as well, but of course, the book is always better.)

If on the other hand you've finished all Shades of ...trilogy, you might want to check out other Hot PurSuits!



3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Christie,

You'd mentioned in an earlier post that you were putting up a blog to help sell your house. How did that work?

I also agree that when there is a 'hot book' of any genre, more people read and that is always a good thing.

Here's to a high tide for your books!

Sarah Raplee said...

I hope all goes well with everything this summer so you can get back to writing! Thanks for the favorites recommendations.

Love your cover, BTW - it's EXTREMELY sexy but in good taste.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Christies,
I haven't read these books as yet, but they have certainly got everyone talking and reading, which is a good thing.

Margaret