Monday, October 8, 2012

Real Life Mysteries?



I don't know of any real life mysteries, unless you count the collapse of the Boston Red Sox this baseball season, but that's another story.   
I've always been intrigued by mysteries, even as a child.
The house we moved into when I was six had been in the same family since the 1700's when it had been built by a sea captain for himself and his daughter. The year was 1960. I remember for the first few years we were always finding things left by that family. Small things, mostly tins labeled with food and other necessities of life in a long gone era, some silverware, things like that. As I looked at these things I found myself wondering, who had held them, what they did with them and why were they left there. 
A few years later we discovered that the top floor held a passage way between the two houses.  My mother had gone downtown to City Hall and found a copy of the original house plans. I was excited; maybe there would be a dead body there? 
Unfortunately we never found out. Since the houses were side by side and shared a wall, we couldn't break the wall down unless the neighboring family agreed. They wouldn't. I was so disappointed. I would not find out what was behind the wall.
I guess I really did have a mystery after all.
Many years later, I've written my own mystery The Pink Lady, set in a haunted home being renovated into a B&B. It's the first in a series of the same title. So far there are no hidden rooms or passages but you  never know. It's available now for download on Amazon. Later this year it will be available in other formats as well as P.O.D.

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

How cool, Elaine. My house is a baby in comparison - built in 1924 - but when we've done extensive renovations, we've found things in the walls and between the floor joists in the attic. Fascinating to get a real life glimpse into another time.

The Pink Lady sounds like an interesting read. I'll look for it.

Diana McCollum said...

How interesting! My Grandparent's farm house was built before the Civil war, (not sure of the date). When they were adding electrical wiring in the walls they discovered newspapers from the Civil War era and before that had been used as insulation. They donated the newspapers to the museum. I was young at the time. Wish I could read those newspapers now. Just imagine all the good story ideas one could get from those newspapers!!!

Paty Jager said...

Isn't it wonderful when things from our past can produce great stories?