Friday, May 2, 2014

I Never Would Have Believed It!

By Judith Ashley

Judith and Sarah at Desert Dreams Book Signing
Three years ago on April 30, 2011 Sarah Raplee and I crossed our fingers, held our breath and checked this site.

We were "Live!"

Everything worked so we knew we didn't have to stay up all night although we did hover multiple times a day for several months (years) after our launch.

As I write this 6637 comments have been made on 947 posts. Our stats say we've 108,204 page views and also show that just over 1200 are from stat-gathering robots or whatever they're called (they "visit" you and use your link to build their stats or something like that).

I digress.

One half of the original Genre-istas are still with us.

When a Genre-istas life goes in a different direction, we add them to our Alumni Page and continue to support them in various ways including featuring a new release or award in our Headlines. (You'll see our Saturday guests include former Genre-istas as well as popular guests).

How do we fill a vacancy? We stay focused on diversity and inclusiveness and invite someone who writes in an under-represented romance sub-genres, is from another part of the United States or country, and as we are well aware men write romance we've had a male romance writers as Genre-istas and guests.

Three years ago today I might have dreamed of this much success but I didn't believe it possible.

Judith and Sarah at Desert Dreams with L&M poster
What else did I believe impossible?

Coming from the "old school" where you sat down with someone, sized them up and got to know them, I knew with a certainty any relationship developed over the internet would, of necessity, be superficial. Romancing The Genres blew that right out of the water. Reading thirty plus posts and some of their books as well as engaging in cyber conversations with them, I've come to know and value the relationships I have with other Genre-istas.

I've made a fast-friend in my co-founder and co-Blog Queen, Sarah Raplee although that did happen the "old-fashioned" way. As I sit and type this post, I'm doing so directly into the "new post" setting on Blogger. When I finish the text, I'll go back and add links and pictures. If it doesn't work the first time, I will try again. No panic, no stress (well, maybe a little if I've tried a couple of times and nothing is working - after all, it is less than 10 hours before this is to go "live").

Three years ago I never would have considered sitting down and writing my post this way. I had a website but was not published. My technical skills were better than some but sorely lacking when it came to the internet, blogging, etc.

So much has changed and yet I can honestly say three years ago "I Never Would Have Believed It". And today? Well today I'm saying "We've Come A Long Way!"

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support!!!

Check out Judith's website at www.JudithAshleyRomance.com
You can find Judith's books here


3 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Congratulations on the Blog-O-Versary!!! What you and Sarah started as newbies has grown to a wonderful blog I am proud to post on and most anxious to read each day. You both have learned so much a long the way. And in turn, I've learned a lot too!! Thank you both for creating this positive beautiful blog for us. Your journey just goes to show anything is possible, even if you've never done it before. Best wishes!!

Paty Jager said...

Judith and Sarah, Thank you for including me in the genre-istas! It's been a fun experience. Getting to know you two better has been the icing on the whole event. Happy Blog-o-versary!

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks, Diana and Paty,

For the most part it has been fun although there were times I wondered if it was worth it. Fortunately I've had Sarah to talk to and balance things out.

The real key to RTG's success is the partnership and collaboration. Without everyone pitching in and showing up, we wouldn't be here.