Thursday, February 12, 2015

Love in all Places

Love. Such a simple word yet it's filled with so many complications and contrasts. For Romance Authors it is our life's blood. It's what we write about, what we urge others to find and sometimes even what we yearn to find in our own lives.

This month I wanted to touch upon a topic both hot in the press and sort of taboo. Yes, I'm talking about 50 Shades of Gray. A lot of romance authors I've read tend to write dominant male characters, in fact, even I do. There's nothing wrong with it and I'm sure quite a lot of others out there would agree. And then there are the others who are so against the thought or think it is oppressive. I'm not usually one for stirring the pot, but with the movie coming out this month I thought I'd put my thoughts down.

Being in a Dominant and Submissive relationship is nothing new. If you think about it every relationship is one. There is give and take from both parties, sometimes one more than the other. This is exactly what a Dominant and Submissive relationship is. The only difference is the Dominant gets to make the decisions, with the idea that those decisions need to make the submissive feel safe, loved and confident.

As a Submissive you gain immense joy and pleasure to do the things asked of you, not just by the Dominant in the relationship, but by anyone. It is what the Submissive lives for.
So the next time you hear the words Dominant and Submissive give it a second thought. What authors can you think of that write powerful men and women and shy self-conscience partners and watch their love and security blossom. I can name, Christine Feehan, Jayne Ann Krentz, Sheryl Kenyon among many others.

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Interesting post, Mae.

Diana McCollum said...

Interesting point of view. I think Fifty Shades of Gray being so popular is a fluke. Frankly erotica and Dominant & Submissive books have been around for a long, long time. Many have made it on to the best seller lists. I do agree in any relationship: parent/child, husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, teacher/student while there is give and take, on person is always more dominate. And maybe that varies from situation to situation, with one or the other being dominate. Good post.

Vonnie Alto said...

Thank you, Mae, for clarifying the dominant submissive relationship in a romance. I now understand the concept better. However, I think taken to an extreme, it become erotic romance as in Fifty Shades of Gray.