Monday, May 18, 2015

Revisiting Favorites

It recently occurred to me that, while I love to watch favorite movies over and over, I rarely ever re-read books. Even my all-time favorite novels have made it barely to a second round of reading. I'm not sure what the deeper reason for this is, whether maybe the "ready-made" visual presentation of a movie vs. the more creative involvement of the reading experience has anything to do with it.

In some way, I guess, I feel like there are just that many good books out there waiting to be read that I can't afford to spend time on a book I've already read. And indeed, peering at my towering TBR mountain the size of the Everest (which just keeps on growing), I'm itching too much to read these new stories in what little time I have at my disposal. How often have I wished for Hermione's time turner from the Harry Potter series--oh, all the extra books I could read!

And speaking of which, the Harry Potter novels are some of the few books I would actually re-read. And they also belong to those novels I would love to read again for the first time. Some books are like that--they're so delicious and brilliant that I don't just want to re-read them, I want to experience them again as if I had never read them before. The Fever series by Karen Marie Morning is another example.

Do you have books like that? The ones that make you wish to read them again for the first time?

And are you a re-reader? Or do you share my strange unwillingness to read a book more than once? Tell me in the comments and share your favorites.

~~~

Following her lifelong passion for stories and languages, polyglot Nadine Mutas went from tangling with tongues at a translation agency to wrestling with words in her writing den. She pens wickedly sensual paranormal romances, and her debut novel, Blood, Pain, and Pleasure, which will be released on May 28, 2015, has won several awards for excellence in romance writing.

You can find more information on Nadine and her books on her website, www.nadinemutas.com.


Blood, Pain, and Pleasure
Book 1 in the Tales of Blood and Magic series

When seduction weaves a spell more powerful than magic…

Desperate to save her demon-abducted sister, witch Merle MacKenna breaks the law of her Elders. As a last resort to track down the kidnapper, she unleashes another demon, Rhun, from the magical prison of the Shadows. Determined to bind him again after he helps her, Merle vows to keep him tightly controlled. Easier said than done when her own personal demon is hellbent on charming his way into her pants—and her heart.

After twenty years in the Shadows, bound for a crime he didn’t commit, Rhun is past caring about anyone but himself. The plan: Seduce the sexy witch, steal her powers, break the magical leash to her, and then be on his merry way. But when a heinous betrayal in the ranks of the witches forces Merle and Rhun to work even closer together, Rhun’s plan backfires—and the witch he meant to play gets under his skin. With his unbidden feelings for Merle vying with his need for freedom, he struggles with a bitter realization: Being a selfish bastard is a lot harder when love is involved.

Warning: Includes lots of witty banter and snarky humor, as well as a charmingly disrespectful demon hero who's hot enough to melt panties with a look.


Blood, Pain, and Pleasure will be released on May 28, 2015, and is available for a special pre-order price on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and iBooks

3 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I do re-read favorites on occasion, but like you, I have a huge To-Be-Read pile that I usually go to for a new read.

How many languages do you speak, Nadine?

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah!
I speak German and English fluently (the former being my native language), and I can read and understand these languages to some extent (I can have a conversation in some of them, others I can only understand): Spanish, French, Hindi, Japanese, Italian, Latin, Sanskrit, and Russian. Can you tell I just love learning languages? ;)

Judith Ashley said...

There are a few books I've read numerous times but that was long ago. Somehow I seem to have fewer hours in my day!

Also since I read in bits and pieces now, I really don't read the "can't put it down until the last page" books which means no thrillers, not too much suspense, etc.

I'm in awe of your fluency with languages. I could read French and Latin (as well as English). Having an "ear" for languages is a gift I missed out on.