Saturday, February 18, 2017

HOW TO KEEP THE FAITH by Sue Ward Drake

Sue Ward Drake drew on her experiences as a hearing-impaired woman to write her hearing-impaired heroine in her soon-to-be-released romantic suspense novel, HEAR NO EVIL.  ~Sarah and Judith~
SUE WARD DRAKE
(Photo by Mari Corn)
Now I know it’s way past New Year’s Resolution time, but that’s essentially what this little piece is about. How to keep the faith, when it’s easier to give up.

Because you’ve been trying to lose weight, or graduate from college, or get fit, or write a novel for what seems like forever. Should you forget about achieving the impossible or plug on?

When I published my first book, a romantic suspense, HEAR NO EVIL, with Silhouette Intimate Moments, I could not contain my excitement. Then I discovered I had to turn in more ideas. They weren’t happy with just the one! Imagine.

I slaved away on several proposals, each one I was sure worse than the one before. Instead of sending them into my editor, I changed my genre and flamed out. There were extenuating circumstances, or so I tell myself. I recently got back my rights and will self-publish HEAR NO EVIL again within the next few months.

I am currently on my second iteration as professional writer, but I can never have enough inspiration. 

Tips and tricks on how to stay motivated—at whatever:
  • --Practice affirmations. Instead of plugging into music at the gym—an impossibility since I am nearly deaf—I recite affirmations. I am creating/living the life I want. Because I am a talented writer, I easily make my own opportunities. I easily wear a size 10, etc.
  • --Visualize success. An oldie but goldie. Make a vision board if you have to, or just write down what you want. Henriette Anne Klauser wrote a book on how she fulfilled her dreams this way.
  • --Clip articles from magazines and newspapers and review the folder along with one for story ideas if you’re a writer. I have one from the New York Times wedding section about a bride who when she wanted something would go after it with a “sort of mythological force.” 

Newspaper syndicated columnist Jeff Herring wrote about “destination thinking.” He talks about not making excuses, about reminding yourself daily why you want this particular destination, about breaking down the journey into small enough steps so you begin to see them as manageable.

 Remember there’s an unlimited supply of success. I particularly like this quote of Nora Roberts, who got her start as a Silhouette author.

“If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never get it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’re always in the same place.”

I hope you will continue with whatever you resolved that night at the turn of the year with a champagne glass in your hand. You can do it. ~ Sue Ward Drake

Please watch my TWITTER account for the date of my re-release of HEAR NO EVIL, a story with a hearing-impaired heroine. 

Bio
Sue Ward Drake has lived in many places: New Orleans before and after Hurricane Katrina, Greece, Baltimore, Nevada, and Germany. All are fodder for her stories. Her hobbies include hiking, travel, cooking low density meals and, of course, reading. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Thriller Writers International, and Mystery Writers of America.

7 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Sue, I really enjoyed your blog post. Some great tips on staying motivated. I don't make New Year's resolutions. But have daily and weekly goals. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for your book to come out. All the best!

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

Good post, Sue. My daughter has been urging me to make a vision board. Maybe that's what I need to do to get my motivation back.

Deb N said...

Love all your suggestions, Sue. Like Diana, I do write out an annual wish list and then make daily and weekly goals to accomplish that. I recently went to a conference where the speaker has a grueling schedule. But she cautioned - always build in time for things you enjoy, as well. So I now give myself permission to not work on certain days and adjust my goals on days I work. I like your affirmations - I do not do enough of that, so your advice is well-timed. I can't wait to read your book.

SusanD said...

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I keep a folder with a lot of the older newspaper columns. Most have yellowed now. You can tell I've been reinforcing my positivity for years. It works, too.

Barb,
Would you believe there is a business in Reno where you drink wine and make a visualization board? I use post-its on my bulletin board and am keeping motivational quotes in the notepad app on my Mac.

Deb,
I don't make New Year's resolutions per se. I'm more like Deb where I write out an annual wish list and keep it updated.

Sue

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for being our guest, Sue. I'm also hearing impaired and have a difficult time attending conferences, especially large ones like RWA National. I know you are one of the presenters this year in Orlando, how do you prepare and manage in that noisy environment?

I start my day with 5 gratitudes and end it reflecting and recounting on what went well. While I make a list of goals I've not reached the point where I break it down into steps. I'm thinking that is something that might help with the promotion goals. Thanks for the ideas!

Pippa Jay said...

My motivation comes and goes - some days are harder than others. But I'm blessed with extreme stubbornness - I might slip for a couple of days but I'm a 'never give up - never surrender' girl. I always bounce back. And also 'if you don't ask, you don't get.'

SusanD said...

Hey, Pippa. Just caught your comment.

Fading motivation is a problem. Definitely some days it's harder to keep motivation high.

Stubbornness ALWAYS helps. So is stubborness for you only a matter of "I will not give up," or "I will come up with as many ideas or ways as I need?"

But you can't be stubborn if you didn't have the DESIRE in the first place.

Thanks for pitching in.