Friday, July 14, 2017

Fireworks books from Sizzling to Beautiful!

By Diana McCollum


Here are four fireworks filled books. A historical love story from WWII, a murder mystery, think cozy, a clean, sweet feel good love story and a hot romance. All happen in the summer and fireworks are involved one way or another.

It's always fun to try someone new. And these authors are all new to me.

By Jeffery Stepakoff:  "Every so often that story comes along that reminds us of what it's like to experience love for the first time—against the odds, when you least expect it, and with such passion that it completely changes you forever.
This is the story of Lily Davis Woodward in 1945, and the five days that forever changed her life. Married for a week before her husband is sent to fight in WWII, Lily is worried about him. She prays for his safe return and the  chance to begin their life together. The small Georgia town of Toccoa plans a big celebration for the returning soldiers.

Jake Russo, a handsome Italian immigrant, also returned from the war, is in charge of the  fireworks display. He and Lily have a chance encounter in a star-lit field, and he steals her heart and soul.

Lily must choose between a commitment she's already made and a love she's never known before.
Fireworks Over Toccoa takes us to a moment in time that will resonate with readers long after the book's unforgettable conclusion. A devastating and poignant story, this debut novel will resonate with anyone who believes in love." Blurb

This is a truly loving and moving story about a 

military war hero that heals and finds love in a very special place called Kissing Bridge Mountain



"What a heartwarming story. A very wholesome novel about a broken PSTD war hero and a heartbroken young lady finding love. The trials and tribulations that they both go through are to be felt but the HEA ending is worth it. A very feel good read." Reviewer on Amazon, Delightful.







HOT! HOT! HOT!
.
"He invited her out for the Fourth of July weekend, and Cierra had no problem saying yes. After all the steamy conversations, it was high time 
they got down to making their own…fireworks" quote from Blurb








By Susan Bernhardt

"Wedding bells are in the air, and so is murder.
Kay Driscoll's son's wedding reception for two hundred guests is in her backyard. As if that wasn't enough, a precocious and troubled twelve-year-old is foisted on her two days before the wedding. When the happy day arrives, one of the guests disrupts the event and is asked to leave: a womanizing member of Kay's book club.

A few days later, after a Fourth of July fireworks show, he is found dead on the beach. Kay and her ever-present friends, Elizabeth and Deirdre, investigate the death, which at first is declared a suicide. They believe this is a cover-up and go about to prove their theory, an arduous task because the potential suspects are many, and few (if any) will regret the victim's death" Blurb

Have you read a 'New' to you author this summer? What Genre?

8 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Alyssa Maxwell's cozy mystery "Murder at the Breakers". Alyssa was a guest at Romancing The Genre's 6th Blog-O-Versary. I was intrigued with her mysteries, all set in Newport, Rhode Island and involving the Very Elite Top 400 families when their wealth was fairly new. (Think industrial giants like the Astors and Vanderbilts).

Also have Lara Lacombe's Antarctic set medical thriller "Dr. Do or Die" Not only do the hero and heroine battle against an unknown deadly disease but they are in one of the world's harshest environments. Based on a recent news story about a piece of Antarctica's ice shelf the size of Delaware breaking off, there's more to learn about this continent as it used to be from author's who do their research like Lara.

Karen Duvall said...

I promised myself I'd read more books this summer because I haven't been reading enough. I beta-read a friend's massive tome that took me a couple of months to get through, so now I'm treating myself to some women's fiction I've been hearing a lot of good things about.

I just finished Sisters One, Two, Three by Nancy Star. It was pretty good. It's a family drama written from a single 3rd person point of view and alternates between two timelines of the character's life.

I'm currently reading Kerry Lonsdale's Everything We Keep, which is a drama about a woman who's fiancé is presumed dead and what was meant to be her wedding day is his funeral. It's very well-written and I'm enjoying it so far.

Next up is A Piece of The World by Christina Baker Kline, author of one of my all time favorite books, Orphan Train. This one is an interweaving of fact and fiction about a little-known part of America's history. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Kathy Coatney said...

Great list Diana. I'm adding them to my TBR list.

Marie Harte said...

Love the list, Diana. I need to read more. My reward to myself once I finish a few blasted projects! LOL

Diana McCollum said...

I love seeing all the diversity of what genres are being read. Judith & Karen have a couple I'd like to fit in to my reading schedule this summer. Thanks, ladies! and thanks for stopping by Kathy and Marie.

Deb N said...

Love this - all with one theme, but so different. They all sound good! One book - that I believe has a fun and sensuous fireworks scene in it, is Donna Alward's Somebody Like You, book 1 of the Darling VT series, which also has a Kissing Bridge in each story. I have read all three in the series (so far - not sure if there will be more). It is small town romance, which I love. And so poignant - each one of them. Although not a new author to me - I read a book of hers years ago - I was reintroduced to her in the last year through a writer's loop. I think I have probably now read up to 10 of her books since last fall - including some of her back stock cowboy novels, and 2 recent cowboy anthologies where she has a novella in each. Happy reading everyone!

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

An interesting bunch of books listed here! I was trying to read more, but got sidetracked by too many other things to do. Must resist and do the reading. I did read a Maeve Binchy book recently. I hadn't read her before.

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Deb and Barb!

I've read some of Maeve Binchy's books. I think she passed away recently. I have a friend who has read most of her books.