Friday, August 18, 2017

Back To School/Back To Work

I can't say I look back at my school days with any fondness, other than for the long holidays. I loved learning but didn't like the noise, the crowding, and throughout secondary school the utter bitchiness of some teenage girls. I didn't follow the latest boy bands or fashion, so instead made my few friends among the boys who were happy to talk Star Wars and Doctor Who with me (I'm still friends with a couple of them now despite being on three separate continents and thirty years on).
I've done further study since leaving school. Two computer courses up to the birth of my first child.
A few years ago, just before my debut novel got a publishing contract, I did an online fiction writing course through the Open University. I'd hoped to continue to gain a degree in English, but cost put a stop to that, plus my publication.
By the time this post goes live I will have been back to 'school' again, this time doing two days training in preparation for my new job. I'm going back to work, part time at least, as a Customer Services Assistant at my local grocery shop. It's only 12 hours a week in two shifts, but it will make a nice addition to our household income while still allowing me to be around for my monsters and my chooks, and even leave me time to continue with some writing. I'm both excited and nervous about the training. Maybe one day I'll go back to studying something more...
BTW, if you like online workshops and are looking for one on world building, a dear friends and fellow author has just opened registration for her Why Worldbuilding (is the secret ingredient) course and I highly recommend it. You can find out more HERE.
I'll finish with some pictures of my chicks, now six weeks old and close to adult size. They don't stay small and fluffy for long!





No comments: