Tuesday, August 15, 2017

This Mom's Snoopy School Dance

It's that wonderful time of the year again!

The school bells are ringing, the kids are screaming...and I am sitting back drinking my morning coffee with a smile!

Now don't get me wrong. I love my kids with all I have and then some more. But let's face it, the summer is a life-sucker. It's hot. Humid. Long days. Short nights. And did I mention bugs? YUCK!

Every summer is the same. Plan. Plans. Plans. There is no just sitting back and relaxing. It's the time to swim, go camping, have sleepovers, and grill out every single chance you get. It's all fun and games until it isn't. After a while, it starts to feel like work. (And did I mention it's hot and there's bugs?) Plus, you can only have so many darn cookouts! If I eat another hotdog, I swear I will...Well, I don't know. But I am hotdogged out. I want casseroles and chili and lots and lots of soups and grilled cheese. Ironically, I haven't always felt this way. I guess getting older does that to a person. Or maybe just me. *shrugs*

Anyway, I digress...as always...haha

Where did I leave off? Oh yes...the school year is here again! *Snoopy Dance*

While I am not a fan of getting up at the butt-crack of dawn, I am a fan of schedules. Which makes the school year this mom's BFF. As a writer, editor, and graphic artist (still a noob artist), I keep a pretty tight schedule to meet all my deadlines. With the children off getting a wonderful education during the day, I am free to work without interruption. Except the occasional going out to take King Alfred for a walk. It's during the first few hours of morning I get my best writing done. My brain is fresh, the caffeine is refueling my bloodstream, and it's quiet. Bring on the Dragon!

No, not an actual dragon, but that would be cool! The Dragon dictation software that has become my best friend. With it, I am able to just speak my way through a story and my word count triples for the day by noon. Totally awesome! (However, you should see my boo-boos and typos LOL)

Today is the 14th as I sit here and type this. In two days my children return to school, and I have already set my workstation up in preparation. One more final cookout tonight, which I will be eating a darn burger this time, and one more trip to the local swimming hole before the new school year is upon us! Then that's it. Summer vacation will officially be over, and I can return to work! *More Snoopy Dance*

I have sooooo many plans and ideas...my mind is swimming with voices ready to be heard!

If only I can tear myself away from Netflix...

Now that I have rambled on, you may be asking, "Ishabelle, what is the point of this post?"

Depends how you look at it.

Ishabelle dislikes summer.
Ishabelle eats a lot of hotdogs.
OR Ishabelle is ready to get back to writing once the kiddos return to school!

If you voted for the last one, you're right! And I bet I am not the only one! I know tons of writers like myself who depend on the return to school to sneak some writing time in, so here's to you all!

May the words come forth and fill your paper with awesomeness!

Until next time,

Isha


You can find Ishabelle Torry on Facebook Twitter @IshabelleT
Blog


P.S. My podcast is doing a giveaway for its anniversary. Check out the link here for free stuffs!
Focus on Fantasy Giveaway





2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I totally remember, not that many years ago, the same feelings. I think I was more excited for school to start than either my son or later, my granddaughters. So hard to find the 'me' time and the writing time during the summer. Never really minded the Winter and Spring Breaks because I could plan ahead and enjoy the one or two weeks of extra time with them which included not getting up at the "butt-crack of dawn!"

It's lovely to hear that you and Dragon are such good pals. I'm just glad I type fast enough and my hands are 'young' enough to not try and figure out how to retrain my brain. I've always told stories but until I typed them out they were convoluted and you had to be able to see my hands to follow along - lol.

Diana McCollum said...

Great post! I love your sense of humor!