Monday, October 30, 2017

Haunting Corpse- A Halloween set Mystery by Paty Jager

After using Sheba, a dog, and secondary character in my Shandra Higheagle Mysteries as the character to find the dead body in my Christmas set mystery, Yuletide Slaying, I had the idea to use Lewis, the cat, also a secondary character, as the character to find the body in my latest Halloween mystery, Haunting Corpse.

I enjoy including the animals in my amateur sleuth, Shandra Higheagle's, life in the finding of the bodies. And Lewis, being an orange cat that we could add a streak of red on to look like blood, made for a great cover.

The book actually opens with a wedding the weekend before Halloween. But there is a Halloween party where clues are dropped. The title Haunting Corpse came to me as I ran words through my brain that I felt were connected to the holiday. Haunting came to mind and fit the story line. While the body (Corpse) doesn't actually haunt, the person's past comes up time after time in the investigation of the death, bringing back pain for the people who knew him and in my mind, haunting them even after he is gone.

I've found I enjoy murdering characters during holidays or events. It brings people together and lends itself to multiple suspects. I had a fan send an email giving me a great idea of a book set in Colorado, so stay tuned for a book set there.

Several people have asked me how many books will be in this series. At the moment, I have the idea for four more for sure and will keep writing them as long as fans want them and I can come up with plausible murders.

I have a question I will be sending out to my fans in my newsletter. It has to do with the romance between the amateur sleuth, Shandra Higheagle and the Sheriff's Department Detective, Ryan Greer and their wedding. If you aren't on my newsletter list and would like to know when the next mystery comes out or help me in a decision about the series-here is where you can sign up for my newsletter: Paty's Mystery Newsletter

Here is the blurb for Haunting Corpse, book 9 in the Shandra Higheagle Mystery Series




A runaway bride, murder, and arson has Shandra Higheagle sleuthing again. Sorting through the debris of her best friend’s childhood, Shandra believes she must solve the murder before her friend becomes the next victim. 

Stumbling upon a dead body, Detective Ryan Greer is determined to bring the killer to justice before Shandra becomes too entangled in her friend’s dysfunctional past. He could be too late. Her deceased grandmother has already visited her dreams, putting Shandra in the middle of his investigation and danger. 

This Book Link takes you to whichever ebook store you use: Buy Link

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 32 novels, 6 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. This is what Mysteries Etc says about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.”
 


blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest



2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

So glad you've another Shandra Higheagle book out! I love this series --- but then I love your westerns also. Guess I just love the way you tell a story! Lucky for me you keep on writing!!!

Maggie Lynch said...

I really liked your title, Haunting Corpse. It is definitely different from the norm. I love your Shandra Higheagle mysteries because they are just the right amount of interesting background, mystery, and puzzle to solve. I can see them going on and on like "Murder She Wrote." One always wonders how so many murders occur in a small town, but we always willing go there to learn a little more about the characters.

As for the detective and Shandra getting married. I, for one, definitely wanted that to happen. It's rare that any romantically linked couple is seen beyond that first blush of love. To portray a working relationship of some kind for book after book I think is refreshing.