Tuesday, July 24, 2018

ANNOY ME AND I’LL TOSS YOUR BOOK!

Hi, I'm Sarah Raplee, author of surprising, touch-your-heart paranormal romantic suspense.
AUTHORS:   DON'T ANNOY YOUR READERS!!!
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve always been a very forgiving reader. Until I was in my thirties, I’d never even considered (gasp!) not finishing a book. The idea felt rude, maybe even immoral. Shouldn’t I give the author a chance to redeem himself or herself somewhere before The End? After all, the story had potential. If they blew their second chance to grab me in this book, they’d lose me for life.
Young Reader Me was, however, okay with reading a page or two in the library or bookstore to see if an author could hook me before I would commit to reading the entire book. Many readers do this to try to gauge a new-to-them author’s mettle. “Hook the reader in the first five pages” is a writing guideline ignored by authors at their own peril.
Unfortunately, some authors spend a lot of effort on the beginning of a book and then get lazy or lose their way further in. For years, feeling sorry for them when they began to screw things up wasted a lot of Young Reader Me’s valuable reading time. Finally, a particularly bad fantasy novel—unsympathetic characters, nonsensical plot, poor description, bad copy editing—brought me to my senses. My attempt to read the book came to a screeching halt. The realization that I had no obligation to finish the horrible mess, and that in fact it was the author who had let his readers down, was freeing.
I haven’t made the decision not to finish a book often since. I've tossed a couple with a couple with morally bankrupt or otherwise unrelatable characters, but there have been far more that are simply too annoying to finish:

~the mystery author who repeats information as if I am too dumb to get it the first time;
~the romantic suspense author who describes the heroine shaking out her “mane of chestnut tresses” so often I can’t stay in the story; 
~the historical author who hasn’t done her research so she loses my trust; 
~the paranormal author whose characters violate the rules of the story world he built; 

~any author who obviously thinks they don’t need an editor (or even spell check!). I don't expect perfection, but too many grammatical errors and misspellings will annoy me. 


My advice to authors from Mature Reader Me is: 
Don’t annoy your readers. It’s like rubbing a cat’s fur the wrong way. Kitty won’t stick around for more discomfort, and neither will your readers.



I'm curious. What annoys you in a book?


10 comments:

Madelle Morgan said...

Hi Sarah,

Love this post.

What annoys me are the TSTL (too stupid to live) hero/ines who rush into danger without thinking first.

"Oh, there's a mysterious noise in the _______. Must be bad guys. I better check it out without telling anyone where I'm going or waiting for backup."

I'm seeing this a lot in TV dramas lately from professionals (detectives, cops, etc.) who know better in real life.

The other thing that bugs me is absence of conflict. Not the "having an argument/fight" type of conflict. The type where the hero/ine has to overcome obstacles and "coincidence" is not part of the plot!

Thanks for the opportunity to share my pet peeves. :)

Judith Ashley said...

Just finished reading a book (yes, I kept hoping) where the conflict in this case a misunderstanding could have been cleared up with a simple "What do you mean?" Yes, the characters were forced together and had no trust between them in the beginning but after pages and pages and pages (insert I had no other unread book close to hand) all of a sudden they start spouting "the truth" to each other. No dramatic moment where they can say "oh, I realize how much I care about you, etc."

And Madelle's TSTL? Definitely is a turn off. Turns a serious book into a farce.

Sarah Raplee said...

Thank you for commenting, Madelle! I find myself watching tv sometimes and saying, "Too stupid to live" to my husband because of a character's actions.

Agree also on the lack of true conflict.

Sarah Raplee said...

I agree with you about a lack of true conflict, Judith. Sorry you had no other unread book to turn to!

Maggie Lynch said...

All true, Sarah. For me the most important thing is to have a character I can root for. If I get that early on and it stays through the book, I'll forgive lots of little things--like one TSTL moment if it's a learning moment; or one you could just talk it out moment if it's a learning moment. But the character has to make it believable.

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

If a book doesn't hold my interest enough that when I put it down, it's a long time before I pick it up again, then it doesn't get finished. I have plenty of books on my tablet and plenty on my shelves. I could read everything in my house and never run out of reading material. So, a reader has to hold my interest. I have to care about the characters and their situation. And there has to be conflict that keeps me coming back to see what happens.

Sarah Raplee said...

I agree with you, Maggie, that having a character I am rooting for is essential to keep me reading. Caring about a character does make me less inclined to get annoyed.

Sarah Raplee said...

Good points all, Barbara! Who wants to be bored by their chosen entertainment? I've stopped reading for the same reason more than once.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

What I find particulary annoying is dialogue for dialogue's sake doing nothing to move the story along. When my eyes start crossing, it's time to put the book down or snap off the Kindle.

Diana McCollum said...

Good blog post , Sarah! I've had a few books I've thrown against the wall never to finish reading. Some from NY times best seller lists that had obvious plot, character descriptions or ... that hadn't been edited well.