Monday, July 16, 2018

What turns me on in a book by Kristin Wallace

As I write this, I should be in the throes of getting ready for my trip to Alaska so this post might be short. The theme on RTG this month is “What turns your on or off in a book?” For me it’s humor or the lack of humor. I like a book that makes me laugh. Not that all the drama and emotion should be left out, but a book full of nothing but angst and darkness is something I can’t handle. 

That’s why my favorite authors write humor. They can make me cry, too, but there must be laughs. Actually, if they can pull off BOTH that is a really good book. It’s not easy to write humor, of course. Most people have different ideas about what is funny or not. 

I’m not sure it’s something you can teach, either. I have always just naturally gravitated toward humorous situations in my stories. Like a “true-love-doesn’t-exist” woman who gets roped into taking over a wedding planning business (MARRY ME). Or three women trying to win custody of a pig…and a fortune (The Heiress Games series). Even in my darkest book (Imagine That) where the hero’s mother is dying I managed to inject humor. In fact, I deliberately added more humor because I couldn’t take so much sadness. 

I’ll finish with some of my personal recommendations if you want a romance with humor.

Ain’t She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any SEP book if you’re looking for humor. She’s pretty much the master and the kind of writer I aspire to be. Another great one of hers is Breathing Room

Too Good To Be True by Kristan Higgins
Anther author where you really can’t go wrong if you want your stories with some LOLs. In this one, the heroine makes up a fake boyfriend with hilarious results. 

Rescue Me by Rachel Gibson
Really, try any of her books. She’s always funny. 

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie
This book is not exactly new, but do yourself a favor and search for it. Jennifer Crusie is amazingly talented. Faking It is also great, as well as Agnes and the Hitman, which she co-authored with Bob Mayer.

Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
Have you ever read the book on which the movie starring Renee Zellwegger & Colin Firth is based? If not, you really should. 

Here’s a historical romance offering:

10 Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn
This book made me absolutely fall in love…with Julia Quinn. 

Do you have any funny book recommendations? Please share them!


Kristin Wallaceis the USA Today Best Selling Author of inspirational and contemporary romance, and women’s fiction filled with “Love, Laughter and a Leap of Faith”. She has three series, Shellwater Key Tales(sweet contemporary romance) and Covington Falls Chronicles (inspirational romance). Check out her newest series, The Heiress Games, a sweet contemporary that sees three very different women competing for custody of a pampered pig…and a $120 million fortune. Find out more about her books at Kristin Wallace Author.



1 comment:

Judith Ashley said...

Jennifer Cruise's "Welcome To Temptation" - her books are on my keeper shelf so I've read them more than once.

And I do agree that even more serious books are not hurt by a little (or a lot) of humor. Also agree that if a book is too serious/dark and there isn't humor, it isn't for me.

Enjoy Alaska!