Sunday, September 9, 2018

Lara Lacombe Writes "Romance with a Scientific Twist"

DR. DO-OR-DIE

Thanks so much for having me on the blog today!  I always love talking about two of my favorite things: romance novels and science!

I started out my professional life as a scientist—I actually have a doctorate in immunology and infectious diseases, and I’ve worked in labs all over the country doing biomedical research.  

With such a ‘serious’ day job, I turned to romance novels as a way to escape and unwind after a long day in the lab.  Gradually, I began to think up stories of my own.  You’ve probably heard the adage, “Write what you know.”  In my case, what I knew was biomedical science.
I love to write about heroines who work in the medicine, or in some type of scientific field.  It’s fun to incorporate interesting details about their job, and I try very hard to keep things as realistic as possible.  Obviously, I’m not a medical doctor.  But my brother is, so I frequently pester him with questions about procedures, drug dosages, even something as simple as the type of phrases doctors and nurses would use in a given situation.  Nothing pulls me out of a novel faster than an obvious inaccuracy, so it’s important to me to stay as true to life as possible.  I have been known to take a few fictional liberties for the sake of the story, but hopefully readers will forgive me!

If you enjoy medical romantic suspense, I’ve written several books that feature a heroine who is a doctor or biomedical scientist.  My first book, Deadly Contact, features a microbiologist who must work with an FBI agent to prevent a bioterrorism attack in Washington, D.C.

In Lethal Lies, an ER physician is kidnapped by a desperate undercover FBI agent who needs her help as he faces down a deadly street gang.

Finally, my Doctors in Danger trilogy is jam-packed with action and suspense!  In the first book, Enticed by the Operative, a plastic surgeon and DEA agent work to outsmart a drug cartel in the jungle of Colombia.  In Dr. Do or Die, an epidemiologist (disease detective) from the CDC is sent to Antarctica to help the doctor on the research base stop an outbreak in its tracks.  And in the third book, Her Lieutenant Protector, a cruise ship doctor teams up with the head of security to prevent a dirty bomb attack in New York City.

For a full list of my books, please visit my blog (http://www.laralacombe.com).   You can also find me on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/laralacombe1) or follow me on BookBub to get notified of my new releases (https://www.bookbub.com/authors/lara-lacombe)
At any rate, I hope you ‘see’ you around the web soon!


Bio: Lara Lacombe is a recovering research scientist turned college professor who now spends her days writing and wrangling a toddler. She lives in Texas with her family and two entitled cats, and loves chocolate and her Crock Pot. She uses Facebook to procrastinate--stop by Lara Lacombe Books if you'd like to chat!


6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lara, So glad you could join us this weekend! Wow!!! I love the ideas behind your books. And I think featuring women in fields like medicine and research that are often seen as "male-dominated professions" is a gift to girls and women. Yes, we can succeed in those areas and you are living proof in your own life as well as through your books.

Madelle Morgan said...

Lara, I'm so excited to discover your books!

It's is truly a treat to read scientifically & medically accurate romance. I love to learn something new when I read.

Madelle

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for having me on the blog, Judith! I appreciate your comment about representation in science and medicine--it certainly seems like a lot of the most famous fictional characters are men, so I like to do my part to show that women are interested in these fields as well!

Unknown said...

Hi Madelle,

It's nice to 'meet' you here! I hope one of my books piques your interest, and that you enjoy it! :)

-Lara

Unknown said...

Hey Thanks for sharing this collection. You really share a god content. I love to read your blog post. As i found so manypopular books. These are sound cool. I will add all these in my collection and read these books after eBooks download online.

Sarah Raplee said...

I love your tag line, Lara! You have the background to 'own' it!