Monday, September 3, 2018

Missing Deadlines Craziness by Paty Jager

If you had told me four months ago I wouldn't be a raving lunatic about now, I would have laughed and said, "Yeah, right." At that point I had found myself falling farther and farther behind in my writing commitments. I'm a person who is always early for appointments and finishes things ahead of schedule.

Until the last year.

Life interrupted and the schedule I'd made out last fall for this year started to feel like an anchor around my neck because I wasn't getting projects done in the time I'd predicted. I had been asked to join a group of authors who were starting up their own "world" books. It sounded like fun and I came up with characters and helped populate their fictional town/community.


Before I started that book, I found out the book I'd put in a Kindle Worlds project was coming back to me. That was an added revision I hadn't planned on. But a joyful one! I loved this book and after putting it in the Kindle World I was sorry I'd let the rights go. I'd let peer pressure push me into doing the Kindle World. But Now that book, Isaac: Letters of Fate is mine, revised, and out there for everyone to purchase at all ebook venues and in print. 

The more I thought about all the projects ahead of me and how would I get them done on time, I had to step back and decide which were the most important. I decided to back out on the world project. It was the only thing I hadn't "started" writing and my fans wouldn't miss because they didn't know anything about it. Once I backed out of that, I didn't feel so rushed and didn't tighten up when I sat down to write knowing I had to get X amount of words done that day.

Writing became fun again!

And I'm happy to say, I am slowly getting back on track with my deadlines!

Isaac: Letters of Fate released in July and Lottie Mae: Silver Dollar Saloon released in August and the Dangerous Dance will release. I'll have one more Shandra Higheagle book release this year, Honeymoon Cadaver, then January 2019 will start the beginning of another mystery series release. Book one of that has been written and has received good words from the beta readers.
end of September or the first of October the next Shandra Higheagle mystery,

How is your summer going?  Did you get to spend as much time relaxing as you'd like or has it been hectic for you?

 

6 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Hi Paty, There are always times when Life gets in the way of our plans. Sounds like you found a way to adjust your schedule to relieve the pressure. And you are still SUPER PRODUCTIVE! Looking forward to reading your new releases. Good luck with sales!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks! There was a point when I wasn't sure I could keep up with anything, let alone, what I wanted to do. But it is working out and I'm happiest when I'm busy. Just don't like to be feeling pushed to get things done.

Judith Ashley said...

Paty, Had to laugh at your picture. That would be me for most days this summer and many days this year. I'm not sure I can even spell the word "relaxing" when it is hot and smokey and to me, miserable. There were weeks when I felt caged because going outside was so toxic (literally). Oh, Honeymoon Cadaver -Shandra Higheagle gets married, maybe? You won't even give her a break and let her go on a honeymoon without a mystery to solve? Or, am I off base. Guess I'll have to read all about it to know the answers to my questions.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

As Sarah said, you always seem super-productive. Nice to see more of your releases coming soon!

Diana McCollum said...

Sounds like you are back on track and spinning tales! Great post!

Paty Jager said...

Judith, This summer has been unusually hot and smokey here too. Glad you survived. LOL Nope, I can't give Shandra a break when it comes to finding dead bodies. ;) One person who is reading the series told me over the weekend, "She(Shandra) sure leads an exciting life. All those bodies." And she laughed and said, "But I enjoy that excitement."

Hi Genene! Thanks! Yes! I'm excited about the new mystery series and keeping Shandra moving forward.

Hi Diana, Yes, thankfully! I was wondering if I would pull it off. Glad you enjoyed the post.