Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Fiber Arts, Lost and Found by Sarah Raplee

This style, but with a smocked top and
crocheted lace trim on edges of sleeves
and hem - as well as matching slip.
Hello, I'm Sarah Raplee, author of Paranormal Romance that crosses genres into Suspense, Fantasy and Steampunk.

I've loved working with fabrics, threads and yarns since I was five years old. In kindergarten, we were each given a big square of burlap and a huge assortment of yarn and embroidery thread, dull plastic darning needles, buttons and pieces of fabric and told to imagine a scene in nature and recreate it with our materials on the burlap.

I loved the scratchy texture of the rough burlap, the softness of dark green cotton muslin, the slippery feel of brown satin. I pictured an apple tree in a meadow of flowers with the sun shining down. Round red buttons became apples, yellow fabric became the sun. I cut out fabric birds and made yarn-and-button flowers. Happiness bubbled up as my vision came into being.

Later, I learned to making yarn octopuses and sew doll clothes by hand. When I was old enough, Mom taught me to sew clothes on her machine. I took to it like bird to flight.
Years later, I decided to sew my first baby’s christening dress. I was determined to learn to crochet in order to make the five yards of lace trim required. I wanted to create a family heirloom. [I'm traveling, so unfortunately don't have a photo of the actual christening gown and lace to show you. These photos will give you an idea.]

Having my sainted mother, a master (mistress?) of the art of crochet, in my corner gave me the confidence to even attempt such a thing. Mom taught me using a large hook, thick yarn and the patience of—well, my mother. She's an amazing woman.

Although the end goal was to crochet yards of tiny, delicate blue lace, for the first week I made thick potholders. Then I graduated to thinner yarn, a smaller hook, and bookmarks. Lots of bookmarks! Finally, Mom announced it was time to work with a thin-sliver-of-a shiny steel hook and some cotton crochet thread hardly thicker than sewing thread. That was super hard! After a few days’ practice, I tackled the lace. It took weeks to finish the lace and the dress, but I’ve never been prouder of making something beautiful and meaningful with my own two hands.

After that, I loved to crochet. I made hats, booties, blankets and sweaters for my children and for gifts; crocheted scarves and vests and afghans, doilies and lace pillow edgings; and even a beautiful red skirt for myself. The skirt required a knitted waistband, so Mom and I figured out how to knit and purl a little, but it took forever to finish that one small piece! The end result was beautiful, but I hadn’t the patience for knitting.

Through the years, I tried knitting a few more times, but it never stuck. My slogan became“crochet all the way!”

Fast-forward to the present. The second-eldest of my ten grandchildren and her husband are expecting a baby—our first great-grandchild! I so want to make him a blanket, but I gave up crocheting some years back due to arthritis in my hands. It’s just too painful.

A friend suggested I try knitting, because it puts less strain on the finger joints. I decided to give knitting another try. My daughter-in-law gave me a book for beginners, Stitch 'n Bitch: the Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller. I tried, but I struggled with the book until I visited my sister for a few days. She had me knitting and purling in half an hour.

After much practicing with large needles and thick yarn, I knew Knitting didn’t hurt my hands. I bought yarn for the (gulp) soon-to-arrive baby’s knitted blanket. I chose an easy pattern from the book. Last weekend we went for a getaway to Gig Harbor, Washington, where I planned to begin my project. But when I started to knit, I discovered the yarn I’d chosen had NO STRETCH WHATSOEVER! Knitting requires yarn that stretches a little. .

Luckily, amongst the picturesque shops around the harbor, my husband spotted Rainy Day Yarns. I showed the shop ladies my stiff yarn (something they’d never experienced before) and asked them to recommend some yarns that would work in the pattern. They guided me to the area where I discovered an even more beautiful (and elastic)  yarn than my original!

I’ve rolled the hanks of yarn into balls. Tonight, using the virtues of patience and gratitude I’ve learned over the years, I begin a new chapter in my creative life—as a knitter!!! (Although the baby may be crawling by the time I finish his blanket...)

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

And if your first great grand is crawling, she or he will have a lovely blanket knitted by a loving great grandma to snuggle with when finished and ready for that nap. Yeah you!!!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

That's awesome, Sarah. I gave up crocheting because of my arthritis--maybe I should try knitting!

Maggie Lynch said...

My mother has always been a knitter and crocheter. I am blessed with many pieces from her, as are all of us kids. Funny about the arthritis. She is 85 and found the opposite. She can no longer knit, but can still crochet. I can't remember a day in my life growing up where she wasn't working on a project. She would bring her needles with her on every vacation and knit or crochet while we were in the car traveling to various national parks or visiting relatives.

I was taught to knit and crochet and did make some things when I was a new adult and newly married. But I quickly came to realize that is not where my creativity lies. I haven't done it now for more than 25 years.

Your children and grandchildren will certainly treasure everything you make, from a small tea cozy to a large blanket. They are certainly blessed that you have the talent and the desire to create.