Wednesday, January 16, 2019

My 2018 Best Books

There is something about interlocking stories within a book that really appeals to me. I have no idea why. Maybe something from deep down in my psyche or in a past life? Who knows. It's the same with movies. My all time favourite movies (which all have this theme) are Babel, Crash and The Red Violin (check them out, they're amazing).

Maybe I'm just greedy and want more than one story for my money!

So it's not surprising that the books I enjoyed most during 2018 had this common thread. My 'reading' involves a mix of digital, hard copy and audio books and these are just a few those which gripped me and had me reading/listening more than once :

The Shape Of Us by Lisa Ireland
 (link is for the ebook but image is from the hard copy because I love this picture so much)

A touchingly emotional story of four women sharing a battle with weight loss and subsequently sharing each other's lives and supporting each other through relationship ups and downs.

Very relatable because Lisa paints a very realistic picture of female relationships. The strength of them, the fragility and the importance.

Four very different women meet in an online forum for weight loss and soon take their friendship into the real world.



What I love even more than a book about interwoven stories is a series of books about the same characters (which is why I'm currently writing Book 1 in my own series!)


The 'Mischief Bay' series by Susan Mallery 
 
Four books about four groups of friends, whose lives also intersect in the small town of Mischief Bay. Strong friendships weather real life problems, griefs and share joys. Once I'd read one, I had to read the rest.

Three Sisters by Susan Mallery 
(Book 2 of the 3 Book 'Blackberry Island' Series)

 Another book about three friends who live in three adjoining houses (The Three Sisters).

Three women with complex, compelling lives and relationships who rely on each other for support and sometimes the brutal truth.

I'm yet to read the other two books in this series, but know I'll be drawn in to the life of this small town just as strongly.



While this style of book is my absolute favourite, I do read beyond the interwoven relationships theme. This next book did start with another trio of friends, but then concentrates on the erotic and romantic adventures of one.

Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren

Can't say enough how much I love this book!

'After a crazy Vegas weekend celebrating her college graduation—and terrified of the future path she knows is a cop-out—Mia Holland makes the wildest decision of her life: follow Ansel Guillaume—her sweet, filthy fling—to France for the summer and just...play.'

Of course it becomes more than just an erotic game and emotions run high.

The emotions in this story are raw and real - and the sexy sections are some of the best I've ever read. Christina Lauren knows exactly how to combine the two.

Catching Captain Nash by Anna Campbell

 Anything by Anna is fabulous. If you want strong, totally believable emotion with sizzling sexual tension then you will never be disappointed.

'Five years after he’s lost, presumed dead, Captain Robert Nash escapes cruel captivity, and returns to London and the bride he loves, but barely knows. Five years is a long time, and beautiful, passionate Morwenna has clearly found a life without him. Can he win back the wife who gave him a reason to survive his ordeal? Or will the woman who haunts his every thought remain eternally out of reach?'

Loved it!

Looking forward to another year of disappearing into beautifully created worlds and meeting flawed and relatable characters in 2019!

Visit Andra's own creative world at www.andraashe.com

1 comment:

Judith Ashley said...

Andra, I also like interwoven character stories...and while I've not read the entire Three Sister's series by Susan Mallery, I've read one of them. I love her Fools Gold series also. Will have to check out Lisa Ireland. I haven't kept up with Anna Campbell. Always did like her stories.

Sigh, we're half way through January and my list of new-to-me authors and books to read? Well, if a physical pile, it would be tipping and on the way to toppling over. Thanks for adding to it, Andra.