Monday, February 18, 2019

Favorite Romantic Movies Round 2...by Kristin Wallace

Last year for (post) Valentine’s Day, I wrote about my favorite romantic movies. I had so much fun that I decided to do follow-up with Round 2 of some classic rom-coms.

Crazy Rich Asians

We’ll start with a recent movie. This movie was a hug hit last year and was unique in that is featured an all-Asian cast. American Rachel falls in love with handsome Nick Young, not knowing he is basically royalty back home in Singapore. When she travels to Singapore for his friend’s wedding, she’s introduced to the life of the “crazy” rich. A modern fairy tale where Cinderella is smart and more than capable of standing up to his mother. 


You’ve Got Mail

Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan made the list last year with Sleepless in Seattle. In the story, a children’s book store owner is trying to save her store from the mega-bookstore opening around the corner. The two are also unknowingly talking in an online chat room. She doesn’t know he’s the guy putting her out of business. He doesn’t want to tell her once he finds out. Then he has to make her fall in love with him…the real him. Not the online version. (BTW, the choice of song makes even more sense when you know that You’ve Got Mail is a modern version of an old Judy Garland movie.


Notting Hill

“I’m just a girl, standing in front a boy, asking him to love her.” Only the “girl” is the most famous woman on the planet, played ironically by Julia Roberts. The “boy” is a regular Joe bookstore owner played by Hugh Grant. It’s sort of Cinderella in reverse, which is a nice twist. 


Sweet Home Alabama

An up-and-coming New York fashion designer, played by Reece Witherspoon, has gotten engaged to an amazing man (Patrick Dempsey!) Unfortunately, she never quite got divorced from her first husband. She must return to her Alabama hometown to get the divorce papers signed. But does she still love her childhood sweetheart? You bet she does!


Pretty In Pink

This was the peak of Molly Ringwald fame, not to mention one of the best 80s teen movies. Poor girl Andie is wooed by rich guy, Blane while her quirky best friend, Ducky, pines for her in secret. She sews a pink dress and gets the rich guy (although many secretly thought she should have ended up with Ducky). 


Enchanted

A Disney fairytale with a fun twist. Giselle is a classic Cinderella/Snow White-type girl in the animated world of Andalasia. She’s all set to marry her prince (after knowing him for 1 day). Before the wedding, the groom’s evil stepmother throws her down a well and she ends up in the real world of New York City…where she meets a gorgeous single father (Patrick Dempsey again!) 


So what do you think? Do you have a favorite romantic movie? Share it here!

Kristin Wallace is the USA Today Best Selling Author of inspirational and contemporary romance filled with “Love, Laughter and a Leap of Faith”. Look for her upcoming release, an all new Palm Cove Tale, SECOND CHANCE HERO next month. 



5 comments:

Deb N said...

Great list! I do love While You Were Sleeping with Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman about a woman who has a crush from afar on a man she doesn't know. She rescues him from an accident. He is in a coma. While he is in a coma, his family thinks she is the fiancée, so she sits by his bed, and manages to fall in love with his brother (and his family) who returns her love, but doesn't act on it since he thinks she is engaged. It has comedy, but some really sweet scenes.

Judith Ashley said...

Yeah, at least I've seen some of these movies...not Crazy Rich Asian's or Sweet Home Alabama or Enchanted but all the rest---or 50%. That's better than a FB post I saw with maybe 30 movies listed and I'd seen 8. In response to another post with a similar question I listed "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Pretty Woman." I'd also add "Don Juan DeMarco" with Marlon Brando, Faye Dunaway and Johnny Depp. "Zorro" or maybe it's "The Mark of Zorro"? with Catherine Zeta-Jones and ??? Also, "Somewhere in Time" "Romancing The Stone" - movies from the 1950's and 1960's for the most part.

Checking out my old library of VHS tapes, I realize I could be watching these classics of an evening instead of t.v. when my VCR begins talking to my t.v. again! Much better than what I see on t.v. or the news channels!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

I have seen all your movies except Sweet Home Alabama, and agree that they're great flicks! My other favorite is Kate and Leopold with Neg Ryan and Hugh Jackman.

Luanna Stewart said...

I love love love You've Got Mail, I could watch it every week. Notting Hill is a fave as well. I'm making note of the others you listed to watch at the first opportunity. I'm throwing another into the ring - Mamma Mia!. I love the ABBA music and the scenery (I cringe at poor Mr. Brosnan's singing), and the "second chance" romance trope is one of my favourites.

Jody E. Lebel said...

Also always liked and often watch Romancing the Stone with Michael Douglas Jr, Kathleen Turner, and Danny Divito.