Saturday, March 2, 2019

5 Things You Should Know About Sensitivity Readers by C. Morgan Kennedy


If you want to create more diverse worlds, move beyond stereotypes to add depth to your characters, or just generally don’t want to ‘screw things up’ when it comes to diversity and inclusion you may want to consider hiring a sensitivity reader.

Here are five things you need to know about sensitivity readers: 
  1. It’s NOT just about racial diversity – Authors often associate the need for a sensitivity reader with writing characters and stories from ethnic backgrounds other than their own. Yes, ethnic and racial diversity are where the conversations on inclusion started but the conversation has been expanded to include other abilities, age, sexual orientation, body types, etc. In addition to ethnicity, characters in wheelchairs, on the autism spectrum, battling PTSD, or managing bipolar disorder all deserve the extra insights a sensitivity reader can bring to your work.
  2. Sensitivity readers are NOT line editors – Not all sensitivity readers are going to take a red pen to your grammar. (Some do and if they provide this service you should pay them more!) What they will bring is a critical eye to your characters’ actions, reactions, backstory, voice, and all the other attributes of your diverse character. Often their input is more in the ‘story editing’ and / or ‘character development’ categories.
  3. You can engage a sensitivity reader at any stage of your writing – Typically an author hires a sensitivity reader when their manuscript is beyond the first draft, but not quite ready for publication. However, as soon as you have words on the page you can work with a sensitivity reader. A sensitivity reader can assist you with your character profiles, backstories, etc. at any stage of your writing process.
  4. It is important to be SPECIFIC with regards to the type of sensitivity read you want – If you are writing a story that features a Mexican-American Gulf War veteran who is a multiple amputee with severe PTSD, you may need multiple sensitivity readers. Before you engage a sensitivity reader, you should be clear on their areas of expertise. Some sensitivity readers have multiple areas of expertise. For example, a friend of mine needed (and found) an African-American sensitivity reader with a background in foster care and adoption. (She is a white author and her hero was a black man adopted by a white family.) The input this sensitivity reader provided to her finished work helped to add that extra touch of authenticity to her character and how the his story unfolded on the page.
  5. Sensitivity reads are a PAID service, so budget accordingly – as the old saying goes, time is money. Doing a sensitivity read and providing a thorough report on your manuscript more than merits payment. Many sensitivity readers charge a flat rate based on word count, but some may charge by the hour especially if they acting as a consultant during the early stages of your writing. Again, be clear on what fees are associated with the work you want done. Now…that being said, payment can take many forms...swapping or bartering skills is also common. Again – it goes without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway – be clear on what you want and how you are going to compensate your reader for their time. 
Need help finding a sensitivity reader?
  • Your first stop should be your fellow authors. Reach out to your writing friends and ask them for a recommendation.
  • Reach out to community centers, local nonprofit organizations, the various online chapters of RWA (Romance Writers of America), or friends and family.
  • Join online organizations like the Facebook group Writers for Diversity. (Writers for Diversity strives to create a safe place for questions and dialog for all authors seeking to create diverse worlds.)

AUTHOR AND SENSITIVITY READER
C. MORGAN KENNEDY

C. Morgan Kennedy is an author of young adult alternative history adventures and contemporary interracial romance. She has done sensitivity reads for authors looking for insights on African-American and characters of African descent during the Victorian Era and modern day time periods.

10 comments:

Paty Jager said...

An opportune time for me to read this post, Cheryl. While I have diverse characters in most of my books, because I feel the world is not made up of one flower, one tree, one race. It is beautiful because it has a variety of everything. I joined the FB group. I didn't know about it and appreciate the head's up. I'm starting a historical western romance right now with an African American heroine, though at that time period they were called colored in the North and darkies in the South. I know some don't care for the accuracy, but I'm a stickler for historical correctness, so will use the correct term for the time of my story. If you think this is something I need to talk about in the FB group, please let me know. I have a sensitivity reader for my Native American mysteries and I've been contemplating one for this book. Thanks for a good post!

Marcia King-Gamble said...

How very interesting. I was clueless. I had no idea such a thing as a sensitivity reader existed. Makes sense though. We are a diverse world.

Sarah Raplee said...

Thank you for Guesting with us today! I especially appreciate you including the section on how to find a sensitivity reader for your particular story.

I had a less-than-stellar experience asking a new writer with no experience to do a sensitivity read for me. That was not fair to him or to me. Now I realize it's important for writers who do sensitivity reads to have a basic understanding of craft, as well as a willingness to mine the broad experience of a group rather than using personal experience as their only reference. They need to understand where both sides are coming from on hot point issues within a particular community.

Again, thank you!

C. Morgan Kennedy said...

Thank you everyone for reading and appreciating my post. I am happy to help!

Paty - I am currently working on a YA Civil War era alternative history (steampunk). My years are 1860-1865 for the series. I am also using the word 'darkie' as the derogatory term in my world. While some may not agree with my stance, I refuse to use the n-word in my works. It is a hurtful, caustic, and incendiary term...anyone that doesn't like my stance is welcome to write their own stories - end of subject. While I do believe in historical accuracy, I also believe that there needs to be a balance between accuracy, cultural sensitivity, and audience. I will also say that I write alternative history because I like bending history a bit and speculating what the ramifications of that bending might be.Anyhow - email me and let me know how I can help! <>

Marcia - so glad you stopped by and found my article informative! Happy Writing!

Sarah - I am SO SORRY to hear about your experience. I agree...it is best if your sensitivity reader understands writing craft as well as their specific area of expertise. (At a minimum, they need to be an avid reader of your genre and sub-genre.) It sounds like there was also a lack of emotional maturity and objectivity, too. While no person can speak definitively for an entire race / population of people, as a sensitivity reader you do need to be more broad and objective in your work to accurately depict a character's experiences and reactions.

It is also worth noting that we are never going to please everyone...and (unfortunately) there are people who will find a bone to pick regardless of the best preparations and / or intentions.

Deb N said...

This was interesting. I did use a sensitivity reader for one book, and she was helpful in giving general advice as I wrote, before she did read my edited version. I also appreciate your suggestions on finding diversity readers. Do you think an organization like RWA might start a list, as they have lists of agents and editors? Diversity in writing seems to be a topic that RWA has spent a lot of time on in the last few years. Thanks for your insight.

Judith Ashley said...

Cheryl, So glad you could share your expertise with us. Very informative and helpful post.

I would add to your list of areas of diversity, etc. spirituality. I see people lumping a group of spiritual practices as Wicca when they aren't. They may be Pagan practices but all Pagan practices are not Wicca. I think it's very important that the author truly understand the breadth and depth of the experiences of the sensitivity reader to make sure it encompasses the type of experiences of the character.

If a sensitivity reader has never experienced sexual harassment and that is a major incident in the story of a person with other abilities, can the sensitivity reader with the other ability still help the author develop an authentic character? Or is this a situation where the author would need more than one sensitivity reader or even keep up the search in an effort to find one reader who has had the spectrum of experiences the character does?

Or, am I off base entirely?

Unknown said...

Great post, Cheryl. I particularly like your advice about finding someone who already knows and understands craft and storytelling. I think it is also important not to choose someone with an agenda, unless your character has that same agenda.

I made the mistake of hiring my cousin as a sensitivity reader for a story about a non-binary character contemplating a romantic relationship. I asked my cousin to do it because that was how they identified. However, because they were not a fiction writer, they saw this as an opportunity to make my character into a political advocate for the cause. When I wasn't willing to do that we had a falling out for awhile. Our relationship is now healed, and I did learn a lot about the pain my cousin felt in their dictated life choices. I never did publish that story because of the conflicts. However, I will include a non-binary character in a future story where it makes sense.

I also think it is important to realize that we do all have the same basic wants and needs for love, shelter, acceptance in community, and dignity. It is when we make assumptions that a certain type of person--based on race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or even political party--will always act a certain way, or like/dislike a certain thing, that we run into trouble. That is where stereotypes are born and reused again and again.

Thanks for doing this work. I agree with others that it would be great to have a list of sensitivity readers that are authors and understand their role in relationship to another author and the story.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thank you for this helpful post C. Morgan. I've used a few sensitivity readers, and this is great advice I'll use in future work. Plus, your books sound fascinating! :-)

C. Morgan Kennedy said...

Hello everyone! Thanks, again, for finding my article to be helpful and for leaving a comment!

Deb - I've found that some publishers keep a list of sensitivity readers for their editors and authors. And I know that RWA has a Diversity Committee. It would certainly be worth sending an email to your favorite Director-at-Large for consideration. I think where RWA would get 'stuck' is on the fact that sensitivity readers are paid for their services and having a list could be misconstrued as RWA's endorsement of that service. But still - it can't hurt to ask, right?

Judith - I agree. Spirituality should most definitely be added to my list. I've read articles about Wiccans not particularly liking how they are portrayed in some works. The same can be said for Jewish and Muslim communities. It is important to be sensitive to the needs of communities to which we are not members.

Unknown - I am so sorry to hear about your experience, but I am glad to hear that your relationship with your cousin has healed. Some people do try to bring their own agendas into your work...It think you handled it well, but I would encourage you to reconsider publishing your story. I'd like to see more stories featuring non-binary characters. Again, I have to recommend joining the Facebook group 'Writers for Diversity' and being active in that community. People in that group are incredibly open and supportive. If you post a question / need, people respond with answers / support.

Lynn - thanks! Glad I could help...and I will be sure to let everyone know when my books are published! I appreciate your interest and encouragement!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Excellent post, thanks! I follow Writers for Diversity and highly recommend them, too.