Thursday, April 18, 2019

The side trips of life....

Brief note before regular scheduled post...
I'm late...life is really running me over lately. But that isn't an excuse for not meeting your commitments so I apologize. 
Now on to our regular post
The theme or topic this month is 'a funny thing happened on my way to...' Sometimes the side trips are more or as fun as the actual destination. Whenever I take a road trip (without hubby who is an over-the-truckdriver and doesn't believe in side trips) I have many many stops plan...and they are ALL at ...
BAKERIES!!!!
For those who follow me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/lynceeshillard) or Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/lyncee_shillard/) now I have a slight obsession with doughnuts.  I took my 7 year-old to Shedds  Aquarium over spring break. The Aquarium was amazing but oh the doughnuts!!!

A cappuccino whoopie pie!

Voted the best bear claw in Michigan

A triple fried cinnamon roll

Death by red velvet

How do you pick???

Got to have fruit....it's good for you

Charlie with a coconut macaroon cookie

A snicker doodle muffin

And cannoli from Little Italy Bakery

Whenever I plan a trip, I always look up bakeries along the way. It's what we do. I know some people love to see the largest ball of twine, and I'm good with that as long as I can eat a doughnut while looking at it.

I'm a firm believer that you have to enjoy the trip to the destination. Be to an amazing place like Shedd's Aquamarine or just to the local park. Often in life we become focused on our destination and we miss sooo much. While it's a balance not to get lost in the side trips and miss the destination entirely, the side trips, in my opinion are what enhances the destinations.

When planning a trip do you have 'favorite' or 'must sees' that you incorporate?

And when I'm not traveling to bakeries, I write ;-) I have a new release coming out in June... here the cover which I think looks almost as good as the doughnuts

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lyncee, I gained 5 pounds just reading this post! Great, drool-worthy photos. And what a fun "side-trip destination." I'm more like your husband...shortest, fastest way to get where I'm going although I do have some favorite rest areas: vistas or wooded walk areas give me a break from the road and a chance to stretch, check voice mail, text messages, respond and then head out again. Your cover is amazing. Is the model real? I can't imagine anyone really looking like that.

Lyncee said...

Thanks Judith! I don't know if he's real or not but he's as yummy as the doughnuts :-)

Deb N said...

I agree, Lyncee - the side trips and / or stops are just as important as the original destination. Sometimes they are traditional stops like Judith's favorite overlook, or food stops that are on the way during a once-a-year road trip with writing buddies (like the diner in NJ - where the desserts are mile- high), and not close to home. Or there are the surprises just around the bend, where you have to pull over. Your photos (including book cover) are incredibly yummy! And the nice thing about them, is I can look and not gain weight. Although, if it wasn't the middle of the night in Maine, I'd be tempted to run down to Frosty's Donuts or over to Wild Oats Bakery :-)

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Hi Lyncee, I agree that side trips (especially to bakeries) is a highlight of most road trips. One of my favorites is Two Sisters Bakery & Restaurant in Homer, AK. You can check them out at http://twosistersbakery.net.

Maggie Lynch said...

Hi Lyncee, I agree that side trips are often the highlight. I'm not a big sweet tooth person so the donuts don't work for me. However, I DO love bread so bakeries with bread options always draw me in. When I can on my writing retreats to the beach, there is a favorite bakery I stop at in town and buy enough varied bread treats for my five day stay. When my husband and I travel together, we tend to eat at brew pubs. He's a home brewer and always looking for a new great microbrew place.

Outside of food and drink, like Judith, I like nature side trips--a hike, a vista. If there is a waterfall possibility I'm all over it!

Thanks for taking me away for a moment from my busy day.