Friday, May 24, 2019

Eight Author Delights

By Linda Lovely

“Eight” is this month’s Romancing the Genres theme, since our blog is celebrating its 8th anniversary. Wow! Time flies.

For my post, I decided to name eight author delights. Well, at least this list represents my top eight writing-related reasons to smile!

  1.  REVIEWS! Bless the readers who make the effort to post a review of my book on Amazon, Goodreads or their own blogs. The reviews don’t need to be detailed—just a couple of sentences that tell me (and would-be readers) someone enjoyed reading a book that I spent months crafting. The number of reviews matter to authors as they impact Amazon algorithms and can help determine a book’s visibility in a very crowded marketplace. So, please, if you like a book do the author a favor and post a review!
  2. CRITIQUE PARTNERS & BETA READERS. I’m very fortunate to have a wonderful group of critique partners and beta readers. These folks tell me straight out if something doesn’t work for them…if dialogue seems stilted…if a plot point seems improbable…if a character seems “off.” Of course, they also tell me if scenes really click and what makes them laugh. Even better these astute critics don’t take it personally if my fixes don’t follow their suggestions. Good critique partners realize that each author has a unique voice and needs to solve problems with plots, characters or wording in a way that fits his or her voice or vision. 
  3.  FELLOW AUTHORS’ GENEROSITY. I can’t emphasize this enough. Authors are so good about stepping up and helping each other out. I’ve made so many wonderful author friends over the years. We all have deadlines and commitments, but these friends will put their own projects on hold to help with a critique, a book launch, or just listen when I’m stumped or need someone to talk with about anything—book related or not.  
  4. EYE-CATCHING COVER DESIGNS. Creating book cover is an art. They need to catch the attention of potential buyers even when they appear as miniature squares on a computer screen. They also need to be true to the book’s content so buyers don’t think they’ve been hoodwinked. It’s such a pleasure to share your ideas about covers with an artist who can translate them into intriguing images.
  5.  A DISCERNING EDITOR. I’ve enjoyed working with both publishers’ content editors and line editors. Good editors definitely help authors improve their books. Content editors can spot weak spots that slip right past critique partners and Beta readers. An example? One editor pointed out that I’d fallen in the trap of making “good guys” physically attractive while “bad people” were unattractive. Once my subconscious bias was pointed out I intentionally made a villain very attractive and made sure my “good guys” had at least some imperfections. Line editors also deserve a shout-out for catching those typos that become invisible when an author is reading something for the umpty-umph time.   
  6.  A TALENTED NARRATOR. K.C. Cowan is currently narrating LIES: Secrets Can Kill, my historical suspense set in 1938. She is amazing! This is the fourth book K.C. has narrated for me. I get engrossed listening to her narration and marvel at her ability to subtly change voices in a way that lets the reader know which character is speaking in a two-person conversation. The books she’s narrated for me include DEAR KILLER, NO WAKE ZONE, DEAD LINE and DEAD HUNT. Thanks, K.C.
  7. SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS. I’m continually amazed at how generous subject matter experts are with their time and how patient they can be in explaining their in-depth knowledge of subjects ranging from poisons and guns to arson and bank fraud. They’re also quite willing to discuss how they do—and don’t do—make decisions and how they might react in hypothetical situations. Authors, if you have a question about how a character would act in a given situation, do yourself a favor and ask his or her real-life counterpart. Interviewing and learning new information is half the fun of writing fiction.   
  8.  WRITERS’ POLICE ACADEMY-HANDS-ON FUN. Finally, I can’t leave this list without mentioning the Writers’ Police Academy. August 1 will mark my seventh year attending this annual event. I’ve been a volunteer staffer for six of those years. Founded by Lee Lofland, the event gives authors a chance to have hands-on experience in all types of law enforcement situations. Over the years, I’ve joined a SWAT team as it tries to secure a building, been forced to make snap decisions in shoot-don’t-shoot scenarios, searched jail cells for contraband, and the list goes on. There’s nothing like hands-on experience to bring a situation to life so you can share with your readers how your characters think and feel. Come join us this year if you can! The WPA is open to readers of crime fiction as well as authors.


5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Linda, I totally agree that even though the actual time at the computer is "alone time" none of us ever get a book published without a host of others supporting us in a variety of ways. And without the readers and their reviews, the rest wouldn't be as much fun.

Linda Lovely said...

Absolutely, Judith.

Maggie Lynch said...

Great post about the village of people it takes to produce a book. Readers are so critical with reviews, talking to their friends about your book, and begging or the next one. In addition to all the other people you mentioned I would add cover designers as well.

Luanna Stewart said...

Great list of everyone and everything it takes to produce a book worth reading. I would add always keep learning the craft - online workshops, in-person workshops, writerly blogs, and craft books. Another key component, for me, is coffee and tea, hehe. Not only is it a mild stimulant but brewing and drinking forces me out of my chair at least once every hour. I switch to herbal tea in the afternoon so as to not affect my sleep.

Diana McCollum said...

Your list of eight is great! It does take more than the author's wonderful story to get a book published and noticed! Great post!