Saturday, June 8, 2019

20th Century Historical Romance's Allure by Anna Brentwood


What draws me to the time periods in my books? There is no one answer. I am drawn by the characters where they lead, compelled to weave their truths with real history.

Because my first published book percolated years through career and raising a family, I had ample time to develop a passion for research. Getting immersed in the times I write about is one of my greatest pleasures. This makes me a thorough writer but a rather slow one.
Anna Brentwood and her Flapper Collectibles
Even before I know the entire story I want to write; I create a history timeline.

When the story begins and when it will end, place, I note things that may affect my characters life be it local, national, what newspapers they read, music they listen to, popular or not places they might go, people they might see or be influenced by…even weather conditions. 

Early on, pre-internet, my research involved studying and reading countless books and magazines, libraries, museums, eBay, antique shops, correspondence and interviews. Today, while I still study quite a bit, visit museums and talk to people, I rely heavily on the internet and Pinterest.

For example, if I need to know what music people listened to in 1930, I google, YouTube or iTunes it. If I need to see what women wore in 1940, or the kind of hats available to men in the 1920’s, I pull up images from Pinterest or Google images. Instead of having to dig, I can immediately see and describe it from actual visuals.

The Sapphire Songbird Series evolved from one book, The Songbird with Sapphire Eyes (TSSE).

TSSE takes place from 1918 through 1928, through Pre-Prohibition and the roaring 1920’s. It came to me in a series of dreams, so real, so enticing and accurate, it prompted me to investigate and develop a passion for the time and quite a collection of memorabilia.

Mermaid’s Treasure (MT), a prequel, happened differently, from an assignment to develop a story based on my book and incorporating a holiday theme. I didn’t think I had another book in me, but I wrote it in six months to deadline and it follows an object—a brooch with mystical properties that is one of the threads now tying all the characters and books in the series together. It takes place between 1893 to 1921.

MT ties to several countries and cultures and three main, real historical events; the sinking of the Russian battleship, Rusalka, the Decembrists (Russia) and the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City. Descended from mostly Russian immigrants myself, I was attracted to that idea and country and I plan to revisit this backstory in the future.

My current work-in-progress, Anthony’s Angel (AA) takes place from 1929 through 1949.

Compared to the roaring 1920’s, before researching AA, I considered the 1930’s drab, the 1940’s and the war years dull, but Bee’s Knees, was I a dumb dolly—it is anything but dull.   

AA weaves in characters and situations from both books, history of life at home in Brooklyn, New York during the war years to overseas; the brave men who flew into danger, the ladies who left home to join the workforce. Let me just say, it’s not called the greatest generation for nothing and Rosie the Riveter doesn’t have a monopoly on riveting…

If I have learned anything from the characters that I take these journeys with, human life is brief and every time, every era, every living creature has a unique story to tell. History can repeat itself and that’s not always good, but reading about it and gaining a better understanding, is.

About Anna: Anna Brentwood grew up in Philadelphia amidst a large family of interesting and colorful characters-think Godfather, Yentil, the Sopranos or Meet the Fockers. Her childhood home was noisy; televisions were always on and annoying-at-the-time, neighbors, friends, family and various younger cousins abounded. Her mother forced her to play the piano, pledge a sorority and be a girl scout. As a child, Anna had to hide in the closet to read or she would get in trouble for being anti-social. As a young woman, she had to dodge her mother’s relentless matchmaking attempts and she once sent a potential suitor to the gym where Anna worked out to spy on her.

After graduating University of the Arts where she majored in graphic arts and illustration, she moved to Southern California. Anna enjoyed working in publications in Marina del Rey and Venice and being able to read to her heart’s content in her own studio apartment in Orange County, CA, spending many weekends gorging on chips, diet coke, tuna sandwiches and romance novels.

Anna and spouse at Speakeasy Event
She especially enjoyed meeting and marrying her former Navy Seal, country boy husband of now thirty-six years because not only did he save her from her mother’s diabolical attempts at matchmaking, he gave her two beautiful, now grown up children. They share two amazing grandchildren and several pets and he fulfilled many of her greatest dreams. Anna had a successful career as an illustrator, graphic artist, publications director and more and with her husband’s early encouragement and support, she moved to Oregon with her family and turned her passion for reading into writing. 

For more about Anna Brentwood and her books, go to www.annabrentwood.com or email annabrentwood@ymail.com




Off the Beaten Path Historical Stories; https://www.facebook.com/Off-the-Beaten-Path-Historical-Stories-2060763167365535/


8 comments:

Maggie Lynch said...

I always love reading your eclectic background, Anna. Great pics in this post too. Can't wait for Anthony's Angel to be completed.

Judith Ashley said...

Anna, thank you for guesting with us today. You do/have immersed yourself in this time period. Love your covers!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great post, Anna. I also love 20th century history. I'm currently working on a novel set in 1941-so much going on then! Any recommendations for finding examples of 1940s slang?

Anna said...


Thanks everyone. Lynn, I agree, the 1940’s is rife with history and much more interesting than I imagined when starting my current work in progress. Aside from looking online, and reading some classics from the era and viewing films, two of my favorite sources are classic radio shows and my most well used and favorite book for lingo is The Writers Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition through World War II by Marc McCutheon.

Deb N said...

Your stories sound fascinating. I really think you need to write a romantic comedy based on your true life. Another movie that came to mind as you recited your mother's matchmaking antics and the chaos of family and friends surrounding you growing up, was My Big Fat Greek Wedding :-)

Diana McCollum said...

Great blog post , Anna! I feel the early to mid 20th century is fascinating. So much going on. One can tell by reading your books that you have researched the history well. Good luck on sales!

Sarah Raplee said...

The more I learn of history, the more it seems there are no truly dull time periods. I'm glad to hear you are working on another book, Anna. You are so talented!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your bio except for the part of annoying cousins! I love how your writing immerses the reader to love the time period, the characters, and the story of their lives.