Friday, June 28, 2019

Weddings Versus Marriage


By Linda Lovely

Growing up, I don’t recall ever dreaming of a big wedding with a fancy dress, a church filled to capacity, or a budget that would put me in debt. My husband and I have been married for more than 40 years and we’re doing fine despite the fact that our wedding was a simple affair. Our only expense--other than paying the Justice of the Peace--was taking the four family members who happened to be around for our patio nuptials out to dinner.  

So, I have no wedding advice or good stories. But I do have some thoughts on what makes a marriage work—regardless of whether the wedding is simple or over-the-top production. I’ve seen weddings succeed and fail with both types of starts.

What counts in making a marriage last?
(1)   Never marry someone thinking you’ll change that person. I’ve known folks who’ve done this. In one instance, a woman who really wanted children married a man who didn’t want kids. She eventually had children with him. Divorce, predictably, came a few years later. Of course, what one would like to change about a significant other may not be so drastic. Maybe you’d like him or her to
(2)   Have independent interests. Don’t depend on your spouse to fill all of your emotional and intellectual needs.  Examples of things that I do independently? Book club, tennis, professional associations, critique groups/partners.
(3)   Make sure you’re on the same page when it comes to finances. Differences of opinion over key money decisions can erode a relationship over time. This relates to point number one. If you’re a financial conservative, be wary of marrying a spendthrift. Fortunately, my husband and I are both penny pinchers, but have no problems with occasional splurges on items that matter to only one of us.
(4)   Agree in advance on your contributions to the home. I’m talking about the biggies—housework and child care. There’s no right answer for couples. It’s fine if a woman enters a marriage expecting to do all of the housework and most of the child rearing. But people can get out of sorts quickly when they feel the weight of a responsibility unfairly rests on one’s shoulders when that wasn’t the expectation. Since my husband and I both worked, we’ve always divided the housework. We don’t have children.
(5)   Marry your best friend and nourish that friendship. My husband is my best friend and has been since before we married. We talk about everything. We respect each other—even when we disagree. Not a day goes by that we don’t have a real conversation. That’s love.

What else would you add to this list? Or do you disagree with anything on my list?

I write in a variety of mystery/thriller genres, but all of my novels tend to include women and men who are equal partners as they face life's challenges. For more information, visit my website.


6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Embedded in your post, Linda, is the ability to talk to each other about major issues but also the minutia of a day as well as listen to the other's thoughts. It doesn't have to be weighty to be a real conversation. Listening to other people is a major way of showing them we "see" them and value them and being seen and valued are important aspects of a long standing, happy marriage or any type of relationship.

Linda Lovely said...

Agree, Judith. I love the fact that my husband will listen to minutia that would bore most people to death. WE all just need to talk sometimes so we can discard the trivia that would otherwise be given undue importance.

Sarah Raplee said...

If you DO marry with some of these issues not worked out ahead of time, as long as you are both willing to work on your relationship, you will probably be able to work things out in a way that works for both of you. A counselor can help with this.

Linda Lovely said...

You're right, Sarah. Counseling can help. But it's best to go in with eyes open and no surprises.

Sarah Raplee said...

You are right about that, Linda!

Paty Jager said...

I would also add, being able to laugh at and with each other! There isn't a day goes by that hubby and I don't have a good laugh either over something we did or said or an experience.