Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Come Away With Me

I'm pretty sure most of us love to travel. Whether it's just to somewhere in our own State, a bit further afield or overseas. It usually means we're off to see and/or do something interesting and new. While I love the excitement of being out and about in a new city or small town, or even exploring more thoroughly somewhere I have been before, for me a big part of my enjoyment also comes from where I stay.

I am so not a backpacking kinda girl. Did that (for a few nights with my daughter in Riga) and
once was more than enough.  There's a bit weird, then there's 'let's just get whatever paint is cheapest'. There's a market for it, but it's not me.

I don't know why, but for me to feel good, my surroundings have to be attractive to me. Not necessarily luxurious, but well put together. 

Ok, I do have champagne tastes and sort of a beer budget but if I'm going away I do dig into the bank account to make sure I can indulge my desire for delicious surroundings. My idea of 'delicious', though, leans more towards something that is unique and quirky, rather than your standard contemporary or classic glam.

I've stayed in lots of hotels, most have been really nice, but I've been lucky enough to stay in two that fall into the 'my absolute favourites' category (so far).

We had a trip to the States that was primarily business but I thought it would be lovely to stay somewhere special before we headed into that long LA to Melbourne flight (after a not so short flight from Florida to LA). I found an absolute gem - The Redbury.

The location is iconic - the corner of 'Hollywood and Vine'. Sadly that's all I can say a out the location. It's not a particularly nice part of LA, very tired and run down with a really ugly empty lot on the actual corner (used for car parking). But as depressing as the surrounds were, the hotel was divine.

You only have to look at the fabulous entry to know that inside isn't going to
be neutral and marble and gilt and glass. It's all moody lighting, lots of red, black and white. There was so much to look at just on the way to your room. A simple thing like waiting for the lift was a pleasure and every time out of the room there was something you'd missed seeing the last time.

All the rooms are different and, even as a writer, I struggle to describe their fabulousness. Nothing particularly ornate, but eclectic mixes of furniture and decor (like old-school record players in many of the bedrooms.). Maybe not everyone's idea of fabulous and gorgeous, but it ticks all my boxes for somewhere super special to stay.

My second stunning hotel stay was in Sydney at the spectacular QT.

Again, just so much going on here that words aren't nearly enough. Visual overload. Definitely not everyone's 'cup of tea' - definitely not if you don't like a detached hand on the wall that holds your room number. I thought that touch was awesome, but not everyone has my bizarre tastes! 
They had me at their sexy logo !

Then the slightly spooky hands on the walls outside the rooms, holding your room number. So cool !

And definitely at the fur throw that waited for me on my bed.

Again, it was a matter of everywhere you looked, there was something fantastical to see and it would take many visits to take it all in.

A highlight is the lounge/sitting area with a wall of old suitcases. I have a penchant for old suitcases, so this room was just bliss. These are obviously 'my people'. The random mannequins dotted around were also bizarrely beautiful.

Again, I struggle to explain it all.  If you're on a visit to Sydney and feel like spoiling yourself, have a visit or a stay. It won't be like anything else you've ever experienced. 

Sighhhhh. I love revisiting these amazing hotels and it's made me want to find another weird and wonderful place to stay.  Better get back to writing and maybe sell some books to fund my dream!

When Andra isn't daydreaming about sexy, romantic places to stay she writes steamy romance. Find out more about her writing life at www.andraashe.com  

5 comments:

Deb N said...

Andra - these sound like so much fun. When I worked in Washington, D.C. and planned events around the country, I would find hotels on the internet. I stayed in some really interesting places that were off the beaten path in terms of décor. I wish I could remember names, but it was almost 20 years ago. I remember in NYC, riding up an old elevator in a "slim" hotel with a tiny lift with the metal gate you had to close before it would start up, that barely fit one person and luggage. A bit spooky, but fun. The room was also on the tiny side, with barely enough room to walk between the bed and bureau, and all sleek metal and black & white décor, but with an antique bureau and the tiny, old-fashioned tiles and a clawfoot tub in the bathroom. I've stayed in South Florida beach -style small hotels in Miami, jam packed with knick-knacks old inns in San Francisco, and an inn where the dining room sat over the water in Seattle. So fun. I loved this blog.

Judith Ashley said...

Andra, My pet peeve is when a hotel says they have a room with a view of ??? and then when I check in, "the view" is a sliver if you stand just so and angle your head to look out the window. Since I love the ocean, I've stayed in less than luxurious places that have had a spectacular view and been more than happy. Best experience is a room with room to move around. Really do not like the ones with bathrooms the size of a small broom closet either.

Most luxurious place I've stayed is the Ashford Castle in Ireland. Loved the room we had while in London but with 3 of us, it was TIGHT. Most conference hotels are so-so and I really can't remember one that was special. And since I seldom travel without it being work/conference related, I come back to my original "room with a view" - if not the ocean with waves crashing on rocks then one with snow capped mountains I can zen-out on.

I think my dream hotel also a fantasy hotel is in the first book of my Sacred Women's Circle series. Totally made up but I'd stay there in an instant.

Oh, and I have been in one of those elevators - Milan, Italy and it did Not fit both me and my suitcases - major stressor having to leave one suitcase in the lobby while I took one to room and then come back for the other one. (Hotel employees were on strike).

Carly Carson said...

I love special hotels, and I've been lucky to stay in some due to my husband's travel perks. Wish I could include a picture or two. I don't go as quirky as you (the hand and the mannequins would freak me out, but the logo is sexy.)

Recently, we stayed at the Roman Camp Hotel in Scotland, which was a former English country home, and just so beautiful and interesting, complete with peacocks on the lawn.

Sarah Raplee said...

I enjoyed your post immensely, Andra! I love unique, quirky hotels and hotels with history. I still remember when I was fifteen staying with my parents in B & B in Berlin in a sixth-floor apartment in a building the had a 'bird cage" elevator. Loved it!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Fun post, Andra! An exceptional hotel can enhance the whole trip.