Saturday, August 24, 2019

Turn Left to Find Mr. Right

Oh my the on going saga of looking for Mr. Right. What exactly makes a Mr. Right???
             Looks???
                Bank Account balance???
                    Past relationships???
                      Remembers the name of your childhood dog that you mentioned one time in passing???
                           Great cooking skills???



The list goes on and on. And in truth it varies for each one of us. I've been married for over 35 years lived together for 3 before that so I could have a shot gun wedding ;-)

Back then would I have said I was with or marrying Mr. Right?  Nope.

So when did my husband become Mr. Right? I'm not really sure to be honest I just know that he is.

I can tell you one of the reasons he is Mr. Right and more importantly - Mr. Right for ME. We all have our Mr. Right and when you read my story you may go  - is she crazy??? This is Mr. Right and share your story. That's how it should be. We all have our own Mr. Right.

Let me introduce you to....

My Mr. Right

I was young when we met. Seventeen. I was working as a waitress in a bar (I know how country song can you get???) and he would come in and talk to the owners son. My husband isn't a big man, this is key in this story, at this time he was 5 foot 11 and weighed about 150 pounds (my doughnut eating habits have caught up with him and he now weights 170). 

The bar had closed and I was restocking. He asked me out. I not so nicely told him no. I was in over my head. I was holding down my sisters while my dad was on drinking binge, I most definitely did NOT need another man who hung out in bars in my life. 

He looked at me with all seriousness and said, "You know I won't look like this in the summer. I only work in the shop in the winter. During the summer I'm a Greek God."

I actually laughed - a lot. Here was this skinny guy telling me he was gonna be a Greek God. He went on to tell me that he built sea walls in Lake Michigan in the summer and that turned him into a Greek God. 

I did leave smiling but no date. I stopped at a 24 hour gas station used my tips to buy bread, doughnuts, chips, and pop. (I was 17 ... they had food and something to drink, I was doing good.) I went out to my car and there was Mr. Right.

"You got a jack?" He was leaning against the car pulling his coat tight. It was cold and snowing. This is late February.
"What? I have to get home and get my sisters up." 

"You got a flat tire. I'm sure you ruined it driving on it but I'll put on the spare."
I might have swore - no this is a real thing story- I did swear. Really ugly words. Loudly. And repeatedly.  

Sure enough I did have a flat tire. I had no spare tire and no money for a new one.
Hubby gave me a ride home. I thanked him and went inside defeated and very angry.  After getting my sisters up and ready for school, I made some calls looking for my dad - not really I was just looking for his car. No luck.
I went to sleep. Hours later one of my sisters came in and brought me a flower.

"Some guy who said he's a Greek god gave you this." And she handed me my car keys. 

My hubby had replaced the tire. It wasn't a new tire but it was a tire. 

We dated for a while. He helped when he could in any way he could. But most importantly, he made me laugh. Laughing wasn't something I did often then. And he stood beside me. When I was dealing with my dad, my sisters, when we were facing homelessness, when our son died, when we became full time parents to our 7 year old grandson who has serve trauma, he has never left my side. 

He has become much more than my Mr. Right, he's truly become a Greek God to me. 

Oh, our kids know the Greek God pick up line and they laugh about it just as much as I did. 




5 comments:

Linda Lovely said...

What a wonderful story! Your husband is definitely Mr. Right for you. The friend who introduced me to my husband confided I should date another fellow who shared the house with her fiance. She thought my future husband and I wouldn't hit it off. We've been married going on 44 years. My Mr. Right.

Judith Ashley said...

Lyncee, He is certainly your Mr. Right and would be for many. That steadfastness is so important. A Mr. Right for me would have to someone who would "be there" and bring humor and light as well as love into our relationship. And I would hope I'd do the same for him. Wishing you another 30+ years.

Sarah Raplee said...

Lyncee, thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

Intuition told me he was my Mr. Right. His actions affirmed what my heart told me.

We met volunteering for the American Freedom from Hunger Foundation. That alone said we had much in common. He had a great sense of humor and made me laugh. He loved kids and animals. He was kind to everyone, and intelligent and hard-working. When he was #8 in the Draft Lottery, he opted to join the Coast Guard because he wanted to serve his country by saving lives, not taking them. He had integrity and was trustworthy. And he made me feel beautiful and loved.

Lyncee said...

Odd, I can't reply to the comments individually :-(
But Linda - how true! No one knows your Mr. Right except you. I've known many people who have ended up with Mr. Wrong because dear friends or family had found Mr. Right for them.

Judith, Thanks! And humor is key for me. I couldn't imagine go through life with a serious Joe. I know he's the guy for some but not me.

Sarah, what a wonderful man for your Mr. Right. Isn't amazing when we get the right one?

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Such lovely stories. It's funny I know Mr. Right for me, however when I find him, he usually comes encumbered. I remain ever hopeful.