Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Everyday Heroines Who Make Life Special... by Delsora Lowe


The world is filled with heroes and heroines, many famous, but most ordinary people like you and me. Those people who plod through daily life, working jobs, taking care of families, and volunteering in their community. The unsung heroes and heroines of the world. Every now and then, one does something extraordinary enough to be called out to the world as a heroic figure
.
I have many personal heroines. Some I’ve mentioned, like my aunt who was an actress, WWII pilot, as well as a journalist and a ghost hunter, to name a few of her occupations that made her interesting. But her most heroic deed, was taking her nieces under her wing, as a second mother, since she had no children of her own. Every year I sent her a Mother’s Day card. I’ve talked about her in other blogs, so know that she will always be my heroine.
My heroine, Aunt Virginia. 
     But today I’m going to talk about fictional heroines.
As writers of romance, we write about heroines and heroes every day. We share their insecurities. Show their faults. Build their redeeming qualities so that those characters around them want to share a life with them. And we show all they go through to find and believe in love.
They might not be the people who make the front page or the evening news, but they are heroines to the people they love and those who love them.

The heroines I write about are superwomen in their own worlds. No, I don’t write paranormal or fantasy. I write contemporary. My heroines are ordinary mortals, who don’t do anything more than most of us do in daily life. But my goal as a writer is to make each heroine in my stories, someone readers can relate to. That someone who will mirror the heroine (or hero) within each reader.

Not only do I want readers to relate to my characters, but I want readers to see in themselves that the ordinary things they do in life are heroic.

Lynette Mercer, the heroine in The Rancher Needs a Wife, is an ordinary woman. She’s a widow of a war hero, a single mom, a business owner, a daughter, and a friend. I won’t give away her little acts of heroism, but I'll give you a few clues. Know they have to do with caring for her daughter and a family who has befriended her in her new town. She’s also a heroine to a woman who has drifted for the last few years and needs a friend and a job. She cares for each person she touches in different ways.

Cue in a frantic bride (hint: heroine from book one) in need of a dress and wedding planning.

Our heroine helping her new friend make a wedding dress.
            Cue in a serious and sometimes controlling (in that annoying, protective way) cowboy rancher, who, yes, is a hero.

Lynette gives poor Carter a run for his money, especially when he goes into protective mode.
           Cue in a new lingerie shop in a ranching town where ranching women are excited to have a bit of frill in their lives, and strong cowboys fear to tread.

A lingerie ladies night at Lynette’s shop, the Pink Petunia.
All of the above are the little, everyday ways my heroine helps others in her new home town.

To me, the qualities of a heroine are women who are true to themselves. As we all know, in true life and our stories, this is part of growth for every individual, and part of the story arc for each of our main characters. A heroine must face problems (and in our books, we tend to throw a lot of problems at our heroines.) The more problems, the more the story holds the attention of readers. And…the more fun we have developing a character.

As I’m writing this, I have a favorite Hallmark movie on in the background. Cooking with Love is full of character development. Watching movies and reading books, for both writers and readers, is a great way to not only be drawn into another world, but an opportunity to study what challenges can be thrown at characters to make them stronger.

In the scene of the movie where the hero goes over the heroine’s head at work, then gives a lofty and somewhat cavalier apology, the heroine responds with an absolutely-no-problem type of response. As a viewer, one has to wonder why she is buckling under, until the scene progresses, and she, without apology, proves she also has gone over his head to get him back on track. The look on the hero’s face and his actions are one of I’ve just been one-upped. And that look gives the heroine courage to find her own voice, gain respect, and become a success at work. And, of course, they fall sweetly in love.

In a scene in my new book (releasing on October 20), Lynette proves to Carter that she’s not just an overly feminine, “too pink,” kind of woman, but a woman who just might have the qualities of a rancher’s wife. Loyal. Hardworking. Cares about family and work. Knows how to show love.

Cue in plumbing is not woman’s work. Note: the hero comes to the rescue to fix a sink, but, ta-da, the heroine has everything under control.
Finding a photo or clip art of a female plumber turned into an impossible endeavor. The only females associated with plumbing were on ads for a school recruiting underrepresented women plumbers and one for a plumbing company which showed a woman sitting by a sink with her palm plastered against the side of her forehead in an “Oh, what will I do?” pose. Hence the need for heroines who can plumb.
Lynette might not be a heroine in the eyes of the world that is conditioned to look for overly heroic deeds, but she is a hero in the life of her daughter. And she will prove she can be a heroine to Carter with her words, actions, and good deeds.

Of course, as an author, all my heroine’s traits mimic those of the real-life, every day heroines who are part of my family, and my work and community life.

Who, like my aunt, is the real-life heroine in your world? And what words, actions, and good deeds does your heroine do to show her heroic side?

~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~
Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine.

The Rancher Needs A Wife
preorder now or purchase on October 20

Social Media Links: Author website:
Author FaceBook page: 
Amazon Author page:
Books2Read Author page: 

Photo Links:
Sink:
Lingerie:
Carter:
Cover: 
Seamstress:

8 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

When my neighbor retired, she wanted to stay active so she began volunteering. She loves dogs so at first volunteered with Project Pooch, a non-profit that matches shelter/rescue dogs with incarcerated youth. While involved, she realized that Native youth were disconnected from their culture. She talked to them about learning how to bead. She's been spending all of her free Sundays making the two hour drive (roundtrip) and spending two hours teaching, mentoring, encouraging, supporting these young men in their pursuit of learning to bead. She also takes their finished projects to bazaars around the city and sells them. Those funds go into the young man's account. She's at 7 or 8 years volunteering there (I lose track). Spending Sunday with "the boys" still feeds her soul and she always comes home with a full heart. BTW: There is a waiting list to be in her class.

Deb N said...

Wow, Judith - now your neighbor is a true heroine. I love hearing about the things people do to give back to their community is so many ways. This one seems truly special. Thanks for sharing!

Diana McCollum said...

Deb,

I really enjoyed your blog post! Meeting some of the heroines you write about was really special. I think writers who watch Hallmark channel can find a lot of down to earth heroines, hero and love stories. And the more we read and write the better we writers we will be.

Sarah Raplee said...

I have been lucky to have many real-life heroines in my life. My mother, my sister, my friends...women who have endured hardships and loss, and have grown more self-aware, caring and compassionate as a result. They are a blessing to those whose lives they touch and they humbly find ways to serve their families, friends and communities.

Great post!

Deb N said...

Diana, you are so right abut finding those down-to-earth heroes and heroines that we can relate to - both in fantasy (books and movies) and in real life. And even if we do write paranormal or other genres, we take those wonderful qualities from real life and put them in our characters.

Deb N said...

Sarah - you are so right. All those women (heroines) we surround ourselves with add to the quality of our lives. I'm always in awe of what the women I know accomplish, not only in day-to-day life, but in what they give to others in their community. We all need those heroines to look up to, and to reinforce the goodness in life, among our daily struggles. Then add to that, the women who came before us in our families and in history in general. They fought for what we have today.

Maggie Lynch said...

Love this concept: "Not only do I want readers to relate to my characters, but I want readers to see in themselves that the ordinary things they do in life are heroic."

This is a big reason I write the books I do as well. Even though I do have some characters that act like superheroes--my fantasy and SF book characters--I still put them in every day situations I think all readers can relate to. No matter the background of the story now, in the past, or the future, I believe as humans will still all search for the same things. We all struggle with morality, seek justice, try to define who we are in the world and what we want to accomplish, and of course we all search for love. And finding a way to survive those journeys is heroic in itself.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to that second book coming out on the 20th.

Barbara Strickland said...

Great post. I know so many woman that fall into this category. They are odinary, everyday people who do so much to help others and still maintain their own lives with warmth and love. Surviving is heroic enough at times but that little bit extra by so called ordinary is amazing.