Saturday, November 30, 2019

Holiday Giving by Roni Denholtz

I’ve always felt it’s important to give to those less fortunate, and to be charitable during the holidays. My husband agreed. So when our kids were several years old, we started a tradition. Before Hanukkah, we would go to a toy store and I let them pick out a toy for a child their age (Amy would pick for a girl; Josh would pick for a boy). They knew these were for children from families who couldn’t afford to get them gifts.

They were delighted to pick out gifts that they themselves would like such as a Barbie or a Batman toy. We would then donate them to a toy drive or a women’s shelter. We would also pick out some non-perishable foods for the local food pantry; and we always picked up some treats for the local animal shelter.

I think this helped instill in them an appreciation for the satisfaction and happiness you get when you give to others. When both were in college, they were active in their university charities which raised money for children with cancer.

To this day, we all give to various charities around the holidays.

No matter what holiday you celebrate, it’s important to remember that some people are struggling, or alone, and the holidays are especially difficult for them.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

More about Roni!

My first published romance, Lights of Love, was a Hanukkah reunion story. I decided to do another holiday book since I love to read all kinds of holiday stories during the holidays! A Christmas Carol has always been a favorite, and I enjoyed the movie about how Charles Dickens wrote it (The Man Who Invented Christmas) which I saw with a writer friend.

While searching for characters to celebrate Hanukkah, I wondered what would happen if a hero had the 8 nights of Hanukkah to convince the heroine he loved her. And so...Eight Nights to Win Her Heart was born!

Here's the back cover blurb:

Roslyn Stein is convinced that her boyfriend Ben Jaffe will never marry. Ben’s parents’ contentious divorce left him with emotional scars.

But Ben doesn’t want to lose Roslyn. So he asks her to give him the eight nights of Hanukkah, to prove he really does love her and deserves another chance.

As they light the candles on the menorah each night, Roslyn struggles with the decision of whether to let him back into her life. And Ben realizes how much she really does mean to him.

Will Ben be able to win Roslyn’s heart again?

Roni Denholtz is an award winning author of 16 romance novels and novellas--contemporaries, holiday stories, cowboys and historicals.

She is also the author of 9 children's books and hundreds of articles and short stories, published in magazines such as Baby Talk and Lady's Circle.

Roni's social media:
I'm on Instagram as Denholtzroni (for some reason I got locked out of roni denholtz which where I first was).  

Please friend me on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/RoniDenholtzAuthor/



7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Roni, Thank you for being our guest this weekend at Romancing The Genres. I love the Giving Tradition your family has. While not as consistent as yours I do remember doing something similar with my parents and then again with my son and granddaughters. Learning the power of the gift of giving is so important in this day and age.

Roni Denholtz said...

I'm so happy to be here! I'm relaxing today after hosting Thanksgiving. Happy Holidays everyone!

Roni Denholtz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynn Lovegreen said...

Roni, I love how you used the holiday season to give to others. And your books sound perfect for this time of year! :-)

Roni Denholtz said...

Thanks Lynn!

Sarah Raplee said...

Your family traditions are beautiful and inspiring, Roni. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to read your Hanukkah Romances!

Luanna Stewart said...

What a lovely tradition, Roni. And the premise of your story sounds like great fun.