Thursday, January 16, 2020

Where Am I???? Finding direction

Hey Hey everyone!  Welcome to 2020 and my first blog post.

I'm sort of on a theme this month on my blog and social media stuff - New Beginnings.

But before we discuss that let share my 'funny story' - the theme for this month here on Romancing the Genres.

Now these stories honestly happened... as they say, I couldn't make this stuff up.

First you need to know I never - ever get lost. I may become misplaced but never lost. An example of this -

About 10 years, my family was staying with friends at their cabin on a beautiful lake -





I decided to take a walk. So I hook my leash on our dog and set off to walk around the lake. And I did, only I somehow got twisted around and ended up walking around the wrong lake - several times. Because you know that's how I am. This was before everyone carried cells so no calls. This new lake was pretty (no pictures because well no cell phone and I didn't grab my camera) but totally uninhibited. I kept thinking I'd recognize the trail I traveled down to find this treasure of a lake.

NOPE. You know what all trees sort of look alike. What should I do? I took our dog to the lake so she could get a drink and I could soak my feet.  Just as I was deciding I needed to circle the lake again, I heard a car!  Jerking the dog's leash I ran to the road. It was my amazing husband!

"You know this isn't our lake?"
"Yup." I climbed into the car. "I wanted to check out the neighborhood."
"You were lost."
"Nope, just checking stuff out."
"You've been gone three hours."
"There was a lot to look at."

He rolled his eyes and drove us back to the cabin. Where I ate many doughnuts and drink several glasses of wine.


Now I could have handled this many different ways - like paid attention to where I was going (I fail do that a lot) - started down the side roads hoping to hit the right one (which was the plan until super hubby came to the rescue) - but the real thing is I didn't freak out. I mean I knew eventually I'd figure it out.

What do you do when you find yourself misplaced?

Often people slip into panic mode the minute they find themselves in a unfamiliar place. But if you are going to be a writer, you need to step out - often. Things are always changing, shifting, moving.

The thing I like about writing is that it's something new - every time. Each book is a new beginning for my characters. They can grow as they circle around an unknown lake trying to figure out which trail will take them home.

My newest book - Taking Risk is all about trying something new - making a new beginning.


Leigh Ronaldson is one thing, it’s predictable. What’s wrong with having a routine? Apparently, it makes her boring or so her ex-boyfriend claimed as he dumped her. And her best friend agrees.

She decides to prove them wrong and books an extreme adventure in Ecuador. The hiking, kayaking, and camping she signed up for. She didn’t plan on the hot guide who by just looking at her made her squirm with desire and definitely not the drug cartel who wants them dead. 

Nick Greco golden rule is never to touch a client. NEVER. But rules can’t be broken.  Once the local drug cartel starts hunting them, he knows it will take all his skill to get out of the Amazon jungle alive.

And if your life is hanging in the balance even golden rules can be broken… 

It's available for pre-order here.

If you want to check out a teaser (and my new website) drop by and say hi. Lyncee Shillard

Have a month everyone! See you in February :-)


3 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

I love how you turned your story into a metaphor for life, Lyncee. Have fun with the new book, too!

Judith Ashley said...

Lyncee, I'm directionally dyslexic so I'm always getting my right and left mixed up which has made for some interesting trips and destinations or roundabouts to get to my destination. Even knowing this about myself for many decades doesn't mean it never happens! But I'm not able to shrug it off without being embarrassed.

Maggie Lynch said...

I have been directionally challenged all my life. Fortunately, my father taught me to read a map by age 10. Though it's hard to do that while driving. When GPS became a thing I was quick to embrace it and it has saved me from miles and miles of driving aimlessly.

However, somewhat like you, knowing I was directionally challenged always gave me an attitude of patience and faith I'd eventually find my way. If I'm driving and get lost (pre-GPS) I knew that eventually I would see a sign or a street I recognized and figure out how to get back on track. Once on a cross-country trip that meant a four hour detour but I did get back.

The most frightening time for me was at a women's leadership retreat at the Silver Falls Lodge and Conference Center about 25 years ago. After three days of mind-boggling workshops we had half a day off. As an introvert, I needed to be alone and away from people. So, I headed out on a three mile hike. I don't know where I lost track of time or took a wrong turn, but dusk durned to night. I didn't have a flashlight. At first, there was some moonlight to guide my way. But after a couple hours I figured I was well and truly lost so I did what I always do in the wilderness, I kept heading downhill I figured I'd walk an hour and if I didn't hit a road I'd do my best to stay still and warm until daylight.

I eventually popped out on a dirt road obviously used for cars but had no idea where I was in relationship to the lodge or which direction to walk. I turned left and started walking. Within about 20 minutes are station wagon pulled up next to me and yelled my name. One of the workshop leaders had been concerned when I didn't show up at dinner and they'd been driving the local roads.

I was relieved to get in the car. It ended up I was walking in the correct direction and a little less than a mile from the lodge. Since that time I don't hike alone unless it is somewhere I've been lots of times and know every turn.