Friday, March 27, 2020

My Favorite "First" came a little later in life than expected! by Peggy Jaeger

So, this month's topic is Favorite Firsts. I had so many things swirl around in my head, that deciding on what to write about was a bit more difficult than usual.
Should I tell you about my first love? First memory? First apartment? First job?
See? Lot's of things to talk about, but I decided that since this is -- at its essence -- a writing blog, I would tell you my absolute favorite first - my first published book!

I came a little late to the world of published book authors. I was 55 when my very first novel - a romance - was published. I could have self published years earlier, but didn't want to. I grew up with the cache of what being a traditionally published author meant and I wanted my very first foray into the publishing world to be with the backup of a known publisher.

You may think that the reason this is my favorite first is because it finally got me in front of the the reading world. Well, that isn't really the reason. I'd been a successful non-fiction writer for years, with many credits in Nursing journals and newspapers/magazines devoted to parenting topics, child care, and nursing/health issues. I'd also had a stream of good luck with fiction short story publications in Literary magazines and anthologies.

No, the reason this is my favorite first is because it came about in Cinderella fashion ( which also happens to be my favorite fairytale, so double SCORE!)

In 2013 I decided to enter a romance writing contest I found listed in a writing magazine. I submitted the required 3 chapters of a story I'd written while in the throes of menopause induced insomnia. Long story short - I won my division - contemporary romance category. Yay.


I thought that was the end of it and went back to not sleeping and sweating like a farm animal in the dead of summer.

Two weeks later I received an email from Rhonda Penders, the publisher of The Wild Rose Press.

She had been my judge for the contest. She asked me to send her the completed manuscript for possible consideration for publication. I did. A WRP editor read it and asked for a few changes. I made them. Then I received the email that changed my  life forever: WRP wanted to publish my book and wanted to know if I had any others.

Um- you betcha I did!!

That book, SKATER'S WALTZ, launched my second act and my writing career. I quit my day job ( really, I did!) and have been a full-time writer every since.


20+ books  and 5 years later I am now almost 60 and I have never been happier. I am a  better writer every day and every day I thank that damn menopause insomnia for giving me something to do when I was wide awake from midnight to five a.m! Hee hee

Fairy tales come true all the time you just don't hear about them.  This was mine.

Bio and Social links:


Peggy Jaeger is a contemporary romance writer who writes Romantic Comedies about strong women, the families who support them, and the men who can’t live without them. If she can make you cry on one page and bring you out of tears rolling with laughter the next, she’s done her job as a writer!

Family and food play huge roles in Peggy’s stories because she believes there is nothing that holds a family structure together like sharing a meal…or two…or ten. Dotted with humor and characters that are as real as they are loving, she brings all topics of daily life into her stories: life, death, sibling rivalry, illness and the desire for everyone to find their own happily ever after. Growing up the only child of divorced parents she longed for sisters, brothers and a family that vowed to stick together no matter what came their way. Through her books, she’s created the families she wanted as that lonely child.

When she’s not writing Peggy is usually painting, crafting, scrapbooking or decoupaging old steamer trunks she finds at rummage stores and garage sales.

A lifelong and avid romance reader and writer, Peggy is a member of RWA and her local New Hampshire RWA Chapter.

As a lifelong diarist, she caught the blogging bug early on, and you can visit her at peggyjaeger.com where she blogs daily about life, writing, and stuff that makes her go "What??!"

Social Media links:



Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00T8E5LN0



15 comments:

Barbara Bettis said...

Yaaay for the first step in your wildly successful 'second act' :) So glad you entered that contest :)

D. V. Stone said...

I love the second stories in life. I'm so glad you are living your dream.
D. V.

Ilona Fridl said...

I published my first novel in my fifties, too! With TWRP. I have several under my belt at almost 71. My story is very similar to yours. Loved the post!

CB Clark said...

Fun story! Thanks for sharing, Peggy. Getting your first signed contract is a thrilling event.

Judith Ashley said...

WTG! I love stores about real people taking a chance and finding their pot of gold or maybe catching the gold ring at a time in life when many people are looking at retiring and going fishing or maybe play a round of golf every day. Seeing those first books published is an amazingly awesome glorious milestone.

peggy jaeger said...

Barbara - so am I because if I hadn't I wouldnt have met all my fabulous Rose sistahs - like YOU!!!

peggy jaeger said...

D.V.. thankyou and I think we both are, right??

peggy jaeger said...

Ilona - I knew I loved you! Now I know why! hee hee. Sistahs!

peggy jaeger said...

CB, you know, it was! But every one since has been a blast, too!

peggy jaeger said...

Judith - I agree and thank you for saying so!! Honestly, without the WRP I don't know what I would have done. They gave me the courage to fulfill my dreams.

Sarah Raplee said...

Peggy, it amazes me how each author's road to publication is different. Loved your Cinderella story!

peggy jaeger said...

Sarah - I do, too!!! it's fun to know how we all got to where we are today. And the twisty roads it took to get here.

Deb N said...

Peggy - very similar story. Started writing at 50 - after about 20 completed MS's sat under my bed, I finally sold to a small publisher. At that point I was getting ready to retire and decided to indie-pub. It turned out that book ended up being the 4th that I indie-published, after 3 novellas. So my first book baby was published when I was 66. Now working on getting books 6 and 7 out this year - if I can get back in the groove :-) Love your tale, Peggy - gives me courage to keep going.

Maggie Lynch said...

Peggy, what a wonderful first. The Wild Rose Press has helped many a writer to fulfill their dream and gain the confidence to continue--whether with them, a different press, or independently.

Like many others have said, my first novel was published later in life as well. When I turn 50 I decided if I was ever going to be a novelist I better get started. :) Like you I'd published nonfiction--books and articles--and short stories in a variety of magazines and anthologies. I had two novels under the bed by then--gothic romance--so started writing an SF novel shortly after my 50th birthday. When I finished it I started shopping it around and gained plenty of rejections.

A god SF friend said I should change to romance because that is what was selling (This was in 2004) and I should join Romance Writer's of America because they were supportive of new writers. I immediately took his advice and started a contemporary romance series. I major publisher (NAL) picked me up and I thought I'd made it--even got an advance. Then, three months later my editor left and my novel was abandoned. Fortunately, I had a kill fee in the contract so I didn't have to pay back the advance. No one else wanted it then.

Next I wrote a romantic suspense and it was first published by Wild Rose Press in 2011. I was 57 years old--seven years and four books from my decision to finally become a novelist. That same year I published my SF novel independently and made three times the money. From then on I was indie and publishing on my terms instead of any one else's timeline.

I believe that authors who start writing later in life have so much to offer. They've lived life, had so many experiences, and seen the ups and downs many times. They don't give up easily and that helps them to realize their dreams. So, here's to all the people who followed their dreams later in life and kept going no matter the rejections. Huge congrats Peggy for all you've accomplished!

peggy jaeger said...

Maggie I agree - writers who get their start a little later def. have a whole passel of life experiences behind, and they know whothey are and what they want to to write!