Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Authoring Can Be Fun When Writing’s a Chore


By Linda Lovely

I’m practicing social distancing and staying inside the confines of my house and yard. The sole exceptions are long walks with my husband to enjoy the spring sunshine.

What do I miss most in my COVID-19 reality? Getting together with far-flung family for celebrations, gabbing with fellow authors and critique partners in person, and planning lunches and outings with my tennis, gardening, and book club friends.

I’m also quite cognizant of how many squares of toilet paper I use whenever I visit the loo. My husband chuckles each morning when he first spies my wild, wavy, out-of-control hair—weeks’ overdue for a cut. And, yes, it took a few Instacart attempts before I got the hang of ordering groceries online for delivery. (Who knew if you put a “1” next to a photo of a bunch of bananas with a price per pound underneath, that you’d get one lone banana?)

Has being house and yard bound dramatically impacted work on my new mystery series?
Thankfully, no. Some author friends have reported (online) that they're ready to climb the walls. Isolation and worry have made it nigh on impossible to meet word count goals. Frustration, they add, makes the writing a chore. 

But word counts shouldn't be an author's only measure of progress. I try to work a minimum of two hours a day on my latest manuscript. On days when inspiration strikes, I may write two-thousand words or more. Other days, it would be counterproductive to force myself to add words to a manuscript. That doesn’t mean non-writing days need to be a waste. Here’s how I try to improve my manuscript when I’m not writing.
Research Makes for Believability
Research is one of my writing joys. When I’m stymied or just not feeling it—yeah, I’m a die-hard pantser—I research relevant subjects to add depth and believability. The heroine in my new mystery is a retired Coast Guard officer, who lives on a boat in the Downtown Beaufort, South Carolina, Marina.  

Among the things I needed to learn? Can a yacht owner call another boat without being overheard by the Coast Guard? The answer is yes. Most large recreational boats are equipped with VHF radios, and newer ones offer Digital Selective Calling (DSC). If you know another DSC user’s Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number, you can radio it without broadcasting to every boat in the vicinity.

There are also generic searches required for every book, like knowing average temperatures, and the times of sunrise and sunset for the book's setting and time of year. Such knowledge ensures my heroine isn’t “in the dark” two  hours before sunset.

Research projects are not only interesting, they often can inspire new plot twists. The only danger is  diving into Google for one tidbit, and then taking an hour's long swim among minutae that will never see the light of day in your book. But it's still fun!
Editing for Lean Prose
Editing is another major pastime when I’m not adding words or scenes to a manuscript. Though our local critique group isn’t meeting in person, we still trade chapters online. My partner’s suggestions are invaluable. Looking at comments from more than one reviewer is a huge help in determining wht needs fixing. 

Unlike some writers, I am incapable or dashing out a first draft without editing as I go along. It helps me see and catch problems earlier. But there's a balance. It's possible to waste hours editing scenes that may eventually be discarded.   
Character ID and Continuity Checks
As a seat-of-the-pants author. I start each book with an overall theme and main plot. I also know who my heroine, hero, and villain(s) are. What I don’t know? All the adventures, dangers my characters will encounter and how I'll make certain the villain(s) get their just reward. I also have yet to meet many members of the supporting cast my major characters will meet along the way.

Without an outline, pantsers like me can result in continuity problems. That’s why I outline after the fact. I keep a spreadsheet with the following headings:
        Chapter…Page… Action…Location/Day/Time…Characters…Weather
As I go along, I periodically open the spreadsheet to insert bare-bones summaries for each of these columns. This makes it much easier to add new chapters/scenes or make other major changes as the plot develops. It avoids mistakes like teleporting characters to distant location in adjoining chapters or changing sunny skies to a tornado watch. 

I also keep a spreadsheet for characters. Headings on this one include:
   First Name…Last Name…Age…Hair…Eyes…Height…Build…Distinguising…Profession
As new minor characters are added, the spreadsheet helps me insure I haven't given similar names to two characters which might confuse readers. It also prevents characters from changing eye color or build in the space of a few chapters.

These non-writing activities help me stay productive and make sure working on a new mystery is never a chore!.  

Linda Lovely is the author of eight mystery/thriller novels that include varying degrees of romance. Please visit her website: www.lindalovely.com for an introduction to her titles. 

13 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Hi LInda, I'm looking forward to your new heroine, as my husband was a Coastie. Glad you are doing okay during the pandemic. So am I.

What you said about checking for continuity errors resonated with me. I've been reading a wonderful Indie Author whose book's only fault is continuity errors. They really pull me out of the stories! I usually won't read a book that annoys me this way, but everything else is so top-notch that I soldier on. That's one reason we need Beta Readers to give us feedback before publishing!

Your time spent on this is very well spent!

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks, Sarah. I'm delighted to know your husband is a Coastie! I'm interviewing a Coastie acquaintance today, but if he can't answer all my questions I may contact you for help!

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Entertaining but very true blog. I'd been wrestling with a story recently and did exactly what you suggested -- left it and went to google and research. The details entertained and relaxed me and the next morning the words flowed.

Glad you are writing. Looking forward to when we can all see each other in person, but at least, we can enjoy the written words whether shared in critique groups or reading for pleasure.

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks, Debra. I'm still hoping to see you at Killer Nashville. I signed up and am hoping the danger has lessened enough then to convene. I'm doing lots of reading and catching up on books by author friends, which is a particular joy.

Polly Iyer said...

I have no doubt that when you get to those final two words, The End, your book will be as close to perfect as possible, filled with the imaginative writing that sets you apart. I, for one, look forward to reading the next Linda Lovely book.

Judith Ashley said...

So glad to "see" you here this morning, Linda. Wise words about productivity. What resonates the most with me, probably because I'm also a pantser, is not pushing it. When authors feel engaged and joyful about their stories, the reader knows it. Love your picture! I was around goats once many years ago at a children's petting zoo. I was wearing a pretty summer dress with a strawberry print...they saw me as lunch! Quite distressing actually until the staff literally stepped in and extricated me. My son was a bit disappointed but I was grateful to escape fully clothed.

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks, Polly! I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Not on a timetable, but have an idea I'll be through the first draft in June.

Linda Lovely said...

Judith, I'm laughing in the goat picture because the white goat behind me is chewing on my shirt and the black one is nibbling on my shoestrings. No harm done. They were mostly curious. I made several visits to a goat farm (including goat yoga) because my Brie Hooker Mysteries are set on a goat dairy farm. Like you, I'm not pushing it. If I did, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.

Diana McCollum said...

Linda,

Love the picture of you and the goats. You look so happy! Love your spreadsheet idea. I hand write everything about my story and would much prefer a spread sheet. I have Excel on my computer, I just need to figure out how to use it! Great post! I ordered banana and got one also! Instacart is a learning curve.

Linda Lovely said...

Diana, Glad someone else had the same banana experience! Good to have things to laugh about. The spreadsheet is easy, just set up your columns and format for Text Wrap so you can write in details & make sure they show.

Donnell Ann Bell said...

You are such an organized panster, I can't believe it. I can't wait for your new series. I hope you are enjoying it! Stay well and stay sane.

Linda Lovely said...

Donnell, I confuse myself if I don't try to get a little organized!

Maggie Lynch said...

Great to see you falling for goats. :)

You have great advise about consistency--two hours per day is a good idea without seeming impossible.

I hear you on research. I love, love, love research. In fact I love it so much I use it as an excuse to procrastinate the actual writing sometimes. The first draft go, go go is also a great idea. Several writer friends have suggested that to me. It is my approach when I'm on retreat and have a high word count I want to accomplish. I just put TBA for everything I don't know.

However, when I'm home and faced with regular daily stressors somehow I can't do that go-go-go approach. Probably because every time I get up to answer a question, answer the phone, etc. I forget where I was going and have to start again.

I love your work and I'm excited to see your next book.