Friday, April 3, 2020

Stressful Terror with a Happy Ending

Hi, I’m Judith Ashley, author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, soul nourishing romantic women’s fiction that honors pagan spiritual practices. My stories show you what life could be like if you had a place like The Circle where you are unconditionally accepted, supported and loved. And where, with this support, you do overcome obstacles and find your happily-ever-after.
In my experience, some scary things can also be exciting. For example, walking along that narrow path on the side of a mountain with a sheer drop on one side would have both elements. Another example I’ve actually experienced is a narrow path along a rocky outcropping on a beach headland. If I’d slipped, I’d have fallen onto the rocks and then been beaten to a pulp by the pounding surf.

However, neither of those narrow path stories are related to writing. Or not directly.

Putting words on a page, telling a story is for me the easiest part of the writing process. It’s also my favorite. However, what to do with the finished product is the most stressful and yet the most exciting.

Sarah Raplee
Sarah Raplee and I started Romancing The Genre in May 2011. At that time neither of us were published although we were writing, taking classes, participating in Critique Groups and engaged in Romance Writers of America chapters.

We had a mentor in MaggieLynch, one of the founders of Windtree Press. Through Maggie we had a basic understanding of self or indie publishing.

The Blog Queens (Sarah and me) also wanted to provide the Genre-istas (RTG’s bloggers) another creative outlet so we started Free Reads From The Genre-istas and those of us who signed up, wrote free short stories for our readers.

Diana McCollum
From that came the idea of publishing an Anthology. Another Genre-ista, Diana McCollum, Sarah and I put our collective heads together and came up with Love & Magick. We each wrote two short stories, hired an editor and cover designer. I’d purchased Jutoh, a software program that formatted documents into books.

Diana took the lead in seeing the cover move from our ideas to something we all loved.

Sarah, being the most tech-savvy of us and I worked on putting the short stories into Jutoh, adding the cover, proofing the results, figuring out meta data and all those pieces that go into the actual publishing of a book.

Diana, Sarah and I also set up accounts on Kobo, Apple, Amazon, Gumroad and Barnes and Noble.

There comes a time when an author has done everything s/he can do and it is time to click on “Submit” or “Publish.” To add to the tension, the three of us had made a commitment to have Love & Magick published for Valentine’s Day 2014.

At the time we set our deadline, it seemed reasonable but…

In the wonderful world of self-publishing and back in the day, with three people who were wending their way through the process for the first time, it was daunting!

I remember clearly that it was approaching midnight on February 14th and Sarah and I were working on the last of the issues.

At 11:58 p.m. Pacific time, we hit Publish to Gumroad. And we were officially published!

Excited? Definitely!!!

Stressed? Oh my yes!
We walked that narrow path with a sheer drop on one side and a rising cliff on the other. We made it safely to the end of the path. We looked toward the self-publishing horizon and had officially joined the world of published authors!

Since then, while we no longer write for Free Reads because we shut that site down, we have pursued our publishing careers as best we can with the other responsibilities we have in our personal lives.

We have stories to tell and because of that there will always be that narrow path with a sheer drop on one side and a rising cliff on the other. No matter how many times I’ve traveled that path, I always breathe a sigh of relief when I reach the end and look out across the vast library of published works where my books reside.

You can find all of my books at your favorite e-book vendor. Be sure to ask your local library if you’d prefer to read my books through that resource.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2020 Judith Ashley




8 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great post, Judith. It takes courage to put your words out there!

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks Lynn. That does take courage and added to it the lack of techie skills made it daunting, especially at the time. I've learned a lot - and remain my own worst enemy when it comes to having confidence in my techie skills.

Sarah Raplee said...

We've all learned a lot, Judith! It is stressful and exciting to publish-and a LOT of work. I'm sure glad it was the three of us the first time!

Judith Ashley said...

Sarah, without you and Diana heading down this path with me or my heading down the path you the two of you, who knows when I'd ever get anything indie published. At the time it was so stressful for me but in hindsight, it was exciting.

Maggie Lynch said...

It is critical for indie publishers to support each other. No one knows everything AND processes and opportunities continuously change. Fortunately, most of the changes actually make publishing easier--better software, better aggregators, tools for marketing that doesn't require you to be a graphic artist.

If it weren't for a large network of people in the trenches, I would miss so much that is critical to me publishing books and selling them. I hope that sense of helping each other never stops.

Judith Ashley said...

I agree Maggie. While I've let my memberships in most writing organizations lapse, I have three strong smaller communities of support, encouragement and information. As we grow as writers, as our lives shift and change, it's important to pay attention to what serves us best. The publishing industry is not static and neither should we be.

Deb N said...

What a wonderful adventure, Judith (and Sarah and Diana.) Indie-pubbing is indeed scary. Any publishing is scary. Putting yourself out there doesn't get easier with time, but hopefully the confidence does... a tad :-) And having a great network is so important. And despite how scary writing and publishing is...you wouldn't catch me near the edge of anything up high and overlooking rocks and water :-) To me, that is true social distancing - stay away from the edge of anything, especially something dangerous. Kudos to you and the pioneers of RTG. We owe you!

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for stopping by, Deb. I've had a fear of heights for a very long time. Panic if in a high building with those floor to ceiling windows people love. I'm better now when it comes to those buildings but walking along a cliff edge? I'd rather not imagine what would need to be happening for me to take that path. You and I can sit on a rocky point and ooh and aah as wave after wave crashes on the rocks.