Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Celebrating the Little Things…in a Big Way by Delsora Lowe


In this crazy world, we find ourselves inside or imprisoned in the confines of our yards. Maybe we can wander through our neighborhoods, as long as we stay far away from others.

When all we hear is sad and bad news on a daily basis, as we have for months, instead of only celebrating birthdays and holidays and work promotions and book launches—those monumental milestones in one’s life—now celebrating the little things is a must.  
Weird mushroom with wild strawberry leaves top and bottom - soon tiny red berries
LITTLE has many definitions: insignificant, tiny, inadequate. In this case, I want to concentrate on those everyday “tiny” things we take for granted. Not because they are unimportant, but because we know we can depend on having them. And when we don’t have easy access, they become HUGE. They become things we yearn for or things we obsess about.

Then there are the little things we may not take notice of or think of as important, but are delightful and put a smile on our face. Those little things that make us forget our big problems, like the first dandelions in spring.

My way of celebrating myself is to celebrate what is around me, to energize me, and give me the strength to celebrate myself.

Dandelions aren't just weeds
For me dandelions signal the birth of spring. And more than that, they evoke images of my grandmother, who made dandelion wine from the flowers and picked the tender leaves as they appeared in early spring, before the flowers bloomed. She sautéed them for dinner. My grandmother knew the health and culinary benefits of dandelions (see link below*)—probably why she lived to be ninety-nine. I lived in a small, country town when the kids were pre-school age. We had a huge garden that took up the side of the house. But in early spring, before we rototilled, I’d take the kids out and we’d pick dandelion greens for dinner. I never did try making wine.

Buds are out - soon May flowers

I celebrate taking walks. I live in a medium-sized, safe town and I have two legs that work and I have energy (sometimes), so taking a walk shouldn’t be monumental. As I write this, social-distancing is the norm. Hopefully that term won’t be as significant a barrier when this post appears, as the mandate is now. But I’m not counting on that to be the case. Getting out in the sunshine or on a chilly, windy, brisk day with questionable clouds skittering above me, is a gift. Part of that gift is watching the seasonal changes around me—growing gardens, the return of migrating birds, and even the color of the sky, sunsets, and cloud formations look different than they did this winter.


Waving to a neighbor who is cleaning up the lawn and setting out colorful chairs after a long winter, is a gift. Saying a quick hello to someone you don’t know, but pass by on the other side of the street, and getting an enthusiastic greeting back, is a gift. And standing on the back lawn after a walk, watching your neighbors five new laying chickens peck the dirt, is a gift.
Right now, our celebration of the simpler things that are usually a given in life, are making a huge difference. Last summer a friend who moved gave me a compost barrel. The thing was huge and would take me a decade to fill it, even with the bags of leaves I rake every fall, so I offered it to my neighbor who is building raised garden beds and has just purchased his hens. It sits at the corner between our lots, so I can still help fill the container. He is thrilled and in return gave me fresh eggs.

Fun in the Sun
Escaping the Rain
Another friend gave my ex-husband fresh oysters. His friend had to purchase 100 at a time, but did so to help the local oyster harvesters who have no business with restaurants and the farmer’s markets shut down. My ex, in turn, shared them with me and also with the neighbor who gave each of us fresh eggs. The oysters were the biggest, sweetest, and most tender I’ve ever eaten and were harvested near my town. So much to celebrate, as we all exchanged gifts.

Fresh Maine Oysters
Then there are the simple things we take for granted. Going to the grocery store is now a celebration, especially when the shelves aren’t bare, people are being polite and social-distancing, and the employees who have worked there for decades are still safe and healthy. Hoping that someday soon I’ll be able to get my haircut and chat it up with all the women who work at the small salon as well as the customers who are familiar faces from around town.

Connecting on Zoom or WebEx or Skype and chatting with authors from all over the country and hearing workshops on the craft of writing, is a blessing when we’re all stuck inside. Video chatting with my grandson, so I can show him the Easter basket I’ve been filling up since February, is reason for celebration. I was finally able to deliver the candy in person, dropping it off at the end of the driveway. I got to see his face light up and wave and blow kisses. We did a distancing display of hugging. It wasn’t the same as putting my arms around him, but it was a huge gift to see him and talk in person.

Grandson's eyes widened at this stash
And to wrap up my long lament on things I am grateful for and celebrate, is being a monthly contributor to Romancing the Genres. It is indeed a gift and reason to celebrate. Writing is a gift. Sharing my writing and my thoughts on writing is good for my soul, not to mention, a mental exercise that invigorates and challenges me. And celebrating nine years if RTG as this month, the blog moves into its tenth year is…yes… a great gift.

One more thing to celebrate – is my new book cover. The Legacy of Parkers Point is not a new book, but a new cover for my very first book. When I wrote Legacy, I did not envision writing two more to make a series. Although I loved my very first cover, I decided a new cover was needed to better fit the look of the series, and to show the book takes place in the fall.

Here’s to celebrating ourselves and all the wonders that surround us.

What are the important little things in your life that you now celebrate more than ever?

New Cover - YAY!
The Legacy of Parkers Point


Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Parkers-Point-Serenity-Starlight-ebook/dp/B0743NVCC6/


~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine.




8 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Ahh, celebrating the little/tiny things! Flowers blooming in my yard after the winter months are over; shadows dancing on my back deck as the sun shines thought my larch; walking albeit I only go around the block for now; virtual meet-ups with friends; friendly waves and greetings from people I don't know who walk by my house or who I see on my walk (although usually I see no one). And while not a little or tiny thing, staying connected with the Genre-istas each month through their blog posts. When we started RTG all those years ago, I did not believe one could become "real friends" over the internet. I'm grateful to have been proven wrong.

Deb N said...

Judith - thanks for stopping by. One thing I noticed was the quiet and clear skies. In the last two weeks, the traffic noises are coming back and I've noticed airplanes flying overhead. Our little executive airport only a few miles away has been quiet until about a week ago.

Cathy said...

Hi Deb, nice reflections. So glad the compost bin is useful! Save the scraps for the chickens. They love carrot scrapings, cantaloupe seeds and rind, apple cores, lettuce leaves, strawberry hulls, and lots of stuff as treats. And you might receive more eggs. I feed the chickens down the road. And dandelion greens are a favorite of mine. Better than spinach! Hello to Jack! We see S and A about every two weeks across the yard.

Deb N said...

Can't wait to see you, Cathy! Oooh - I have two carrots that need scraping :-) I mostly see Jack via video camera on his phone. I did drive the half an hour to drop off basket and wave from the car. And they did the same for Mother's Day. It's hard not getting to hug for real. But we did the air hugs from afar. Happy you were able to stop by the blog...also from afar!

Peggy said...

Delsora, Loved the post here. The little things are the important things as they can bring us joy. I love my hummers that come to visit my feeders all the time. And I love the little bunnies that frolic in my garden now that the resident coyote has left the area. I love the joy I get from looking up from my laptop,out the windows, with my orchids right in front of me in all their delicacy. I can't tie them into my palm trees like I did in Florida, so I have to take extra care that they live and flourish here in the PNW. I love the happiness flowers and my garden brings me, even the deer that eat my roses. Most especially, I love the cards and notes one of my sisters sends to show her love and support. My family still does thank you, Easter, Valentine, and Christmas cards and it always makes me smile. Your post made me smile as well.

Sarah Raplee said...

Great post! We have so much to celebrate!!!

Deb N said...

Oh, Peggy -thanks so much. Your beautiful photo of the deer in your garden was one that made me happy, as well. When I visit my mom's apartment in D.C., which is right in the middle of the city, but near a park, the deer come out at night. They are so graceful and alert. And hummers...we used to put out feeders every summer at our camp in the Adirondacks, then sit on the porch and watch them fly in and out. Once we let the feeder go dry and a hummer tapped on the picture window as we ate breakfast. We got the message loud and clear and filled the feeder with sugar water.

Deb N said...

Sarah - that we do. It is so easy, in a hectic world, to forget that sometimes. So having a month of celebration on the RTG was a perfect time to remember that daily life is cause for celebration. Thanks for checking in!