Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Heroes I Learn to Love ....... Delsora Lowe


Since I am not one who likes to read suspense, not because they are not compelling stories, but because they scare me 😊, I prefer to stick to the type of heroes that might seem like villains to begin with. ***

 
Having said that, for some reason a villain always manages to sneak into my stories. But they never get too much billing in the story. They are usually there to move the love plot along, not to have their own plot thread.


The villainous-type heroes I love to hate are the ones who swagger, and insist on being king of the castle, ruling their own domain and thinking they know best. But underneath they are marshmallows when they finally meet The One they are meant to be with. The little hints along the way, while they are being overly obnoxious, are things like loving their mom, or they will stop at nothing to help the women in their lives (even when being a bit overbearing about it), or showing kindness to animals and other people who need a helping hand.
Don’t get me wrong, no matter how much they swagger and protect, in the end we find out they do it out of love. Winning over this type of hero takes a heroine who is also king of her domain. She doesn’t like to be protected, until she does find the right man to do that. But, and this is a big BUT, she has to have equal billing in the protection game. And that hero has to love her enough to trust that she will protect him.


As you can imagine, it takes a lot to get these two together as they each vie for power in their own worlds.

Those are the compelling stories that make me go back to authors over and over. The stories where there is no way the heroine would ever choose a man like him. And vice versa.

Some of my go-to authors who have heroines who fight tooth and nail, while falling head-over-heels in love with alpha-males are Melody Grace, Nancy Herkness, Donna Alward, RaeAnne Thayne, Jill Shalvis, and Maisy Yates. And…I could go on and on.

Now if this blog was about different types of character, I would have numerous other lists of favorite authors. A good handful of those are ones who write the terrible villains that I can only read during daylight 😊. Others write sweet, inspirational, historical, romantic comedy, paranormal, and women’s fiction. But each of those genres have different types of heroes.


I’d like to think the heroines in my The Cowboys of Mineral Springs series are the kind who put up with these annoying protectors, but in the end get equal time in the protection business. The third book that I am currently editing and hope to have out in early 2021 is entitled Rescuing the Sheriff. You got it! The heroine does a bit of rescuing of her own, but I won’t tell you how, or I give away the plot.

What’s your favorite kind of villain? Or hero?

*** Disclaimer – even though I say I don’t read romantic suspense, I do. I have many author friends who write that genre, so I want to support them. I buy their books and I read them during daylight. Sometimes it takes me months, since I stop every time I get to something scary. 😊 I used to read a lot of romantic suspense, but I think I’ve steered away from that genre in recent years, because of the way the world is today, I need to escape into the strictly happily-ever-after.

Amazon (also available in print)
 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZD3FNC/Books2Readbooks2read.com/u/b6xzr6

~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.
Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine.

Social Media Links:
Author website
: www.delsoralowe.com
Author FaceBook page:
fb.me/delsoraloweauthor
Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Delsora-Lowe/e/B01M61OM39/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Books2Read Author page:
https://www.books2read.com/ap/8GWm98/Delsora-Lowe
BookBub Author Page: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/delsora-lowe-93c6987f-129d-483d-9f5a-abe603876518
Goodreads Author Page:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16045986.Delsora_Lowe


ClipArt and Photos:
https://www.pinclipart.com/pindetail/TxxhJT_hero-s-and-villains-one-stop-heros-heroes/ and https://www.pinclipart.com/maxpin/TxxhJT/ 
https://favpng.com/ - SuperMan and SuperWoman https://images.app.goo.gl/zDXWq1cuBaRAKsko7

8 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Deb, I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to our reading choices these days. The swaggering, I know best little woman kinda guy really sets my teeth on edge. However, you definitely delineate why I keep reading in that I can see underneath that bluster and swagger the kind and compassionate heart.

Holding positive thoughts for "Rescuing The Sheriff" launch in early 2021!

Luanna Stewart said...

Deb, we share a taste in heroes, BUT I need to see a glimmer of kindness pretty darn quickly or I'll refuse to believe ANY woman would put up with that nonsense.

Deb N said...

I totally agree, Luanna. And his reason for his behavior to begin with can't be selfish, unless it is self-protection.

Deb N said...

Judith - I agree, and maybe this is sacrilegious, but I never liked the "John Wayne" type of characters, who never seem to give up their swaggering or I know best l'il lady attitude :-)

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

I love stubborn to the last heroes. The moment of their capitulation is all the sweeter. I think that's why North To Alaska is my favorite John Wayne movie. It's killing him to admit he love Capuccine on her terms but so be it. Thanks for the post.

Deb N said...

Anna - I guess I'll have to rewatch a John Wayne movie. This prejudice goes back to my high school years :-), where he always rubbed me the wrong way. I saw so many of those movies and Clint Eastwood, etc. because of course, the guys I dated or hung out with wanted to see those movies versus the romances :-)

Nina Pierce said...

Tough guys with a chink in their armor ... *swoon*. Definitely one of my favorite type of book boyfriends. But, unlike you, I adore a good romantic suspense or psychological thriller. There are a lot of swaggering tough guy heros with a marshmallow center in those types of books. Like you said, they just need a strong woman to stand toe-to-toe with them against the threat.

Deb N said...

Nina - I wish I could get past the scary parts to see those kinds of heroes (w/ marshmallow centers) to the end. But there are usually too many really evil people standing in the way of me getting to the end :-) I do love swaggering, marshmallow inside heroes. Just no villains.