Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Villain I Love to Hate by Lynn Lovegreen

I don’t read a lot of books with stereotypical villains who laugh demonically and have evil plans to take over the world. But I know one villain I love to hate: Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice

Like many villains, Lady Catherine sees herself as the heroine of her story. She does what she thinks is right, for herself and her family. But her arrogance and prejudice make her a great opponent for our real heroine, Elizabeth Bennet. Lady Catherine has arranged for her daughter to marry Mr. Darcy. She also finds Elizabeth’s family too far below Mr. Darcy’s status and Elizabeth herself to be too outspoken. That sets up a great conflict.

Lady Catherine and Elizabeth are both strong, intelligent, women. Part of the fun of reading this novel is watching them trade verbal barbs. Here’s an example:

Lady Catherine comes to Elizabeth’s home to dissuade her from marrying Mr. Darcy. At one point she says, “…I have not been used to submit to any person’s whims. I have not been in the habit of brooking disappointment.”

Elizabeth replies, “That will make your ladyship’s situation more pitiable; but it will have no effect on me.” 

In the end, Lady Catherine’s efforts backfire. Not only does Elizabeth refuse Lady Catherine's demand to promise not to say yes to Mr. Darcy, but Lady Catherine's telling him about it makes his resolve stronger. He says to Elizabeth, “Lady Catherine’s unjustifiable endeavours to separate us, were the means of removing all my doubts.” True love prevails—yay!!!

My favorite movie portrayal of Lady Catherine de Bourgh is by Dame Judi Dench in the 2005 version (with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden). Which movie version of Pride and Prejudice do you like best?



Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for over fifty years. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering at her local library. Her young adult historical fiction is set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram.

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I have read the book but I don't know that I've watched any version of the movie. Does that make me a villain?

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Maybe that makes you a Jane Austen purist. :-) They say the book is usually better than the movie.

Sarah Raplee said...

Anything with Dame Judi Dench in it is outstanding!!! I have not seen a movie version either.

Maggie Lynch said...

I have to admit, I attempted to read the book way back 40+ years ago and just couldn't get through it. I have a hard time in general digesting those regency era stories--even Jane Austen--because the requirements for society and women are so anathema to me.

That said, I did see the movie and loved it. I can watch good actors bringing he parts to life and with that addition of body language and great rendition of the language (much like Shakespeare for me) I can more easily grasp the comedy, the passive aggressive lines, the manipulation and appreciate them for what they needed to do.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for chiming in. Sarah and Maggie!