Tuesday, August 25, 2020

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Sarah Raplee

 

This month most of us are sharing what we are currently working on, our work in progress (WIP). I have so many unpublished stories that need final edits and covers, and outlined stories that are crying out to be written. Now that I’m in the right headspace (more like soulspace) to get back to serious writing, it’s hard to choose what to work on next.

 

My world has changed. THE world has changed. And I’ve changed, too.

 

The manuscript for Book 2 of my Psychic Agents Series went on the shelf nearly two years ago when my smart, funny, beautiful forty-seven year old daughter had her first meth-induced psychotic break. She still is not in her right mind. She may never be sane again.

 

Since then I’ve hardly written anything except blog posts and entries in my journal, which I titled A Series of Unfortunate Events. There were dark times when I doubted I would ever publish again.

 

This post isn’t supposed to be about my ongoing quest for serenity through gut-wrenching fear, mind-numbing loss, and heartbreaking grief. Or about all the new experiences that I can draw on in my writing:  Searching our property for bodies our daughter hallucinated were buried there. Testifying in court, having our home broken into multiple times, the ins and outs of security systems. Having a loved one who is homeless due to mental illness and addiction with no legal recourse to get her help unless she hurts someone or tries to commit suicide. Learning how many other families are suffering from addiction. Benefitting from counseling, NarAnon Family Groups and a restraining order…The list goes on and on…

 

By the end of 2019 we were beginning heal and to fully embrace the Serenity Prayer we’d learned to understand at NarAnon Meetings. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."


Then along came the COVID-19 pandemic and the necessary restrictions to contain its spread, followed by the recession, and here we are in August of 2020 with millions sick and near 170,000 dead while thousands, maybe millions, teeter on the edge of eviction. Even so, what I've learned helps me cope.

 

Anyway, back to my difficulty in choosing a WIP to work on. Yesterday I was captivated by the Curse Series of novellas, of which one, Curse of the Neahkahnnie Treasure, is complete. Today my half-finished Steampunk alternative history Romance, Saving Mister Lincoln, is very tempting in light of the Black Lives Matter movement. And I have two more books planned in the series, The Mad Scientist’s Daughter and The Starman’s Undead Son…But it’s after midnight, and my Fantasy Romance short story (based on the children’s poem, “The Owl and the Pussycat”), Spellbound Lovers, seems to need to be expanded into a novella…

 

What’s a writer to do?  Ideas are appreciated.

11 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Me being me, I'd probably finish "Saving Mr. Lincoln" or start something new. You know that shinny idea that gets the creative juices going. Just glad you are at the point of picking a project because I love how you tell a story.

Sarah Raplee said...

Thank you Judith! That's what I've been thinking. I like yourdescription of "the hiny idea that gets the creative juices flowing." That sounds like just what I need!

Pam said...

So sorry your world was derailed. I've been through a similar issue with my son. Many rehabs, breaks from each other, NAMI, learning to say no to an addict. Luckily my son was able to find recovery but he'll never be the same and paranoia is always there. Can't wait to read the next project.

Melissa Yi said...

Wow, Sarah, that’s so much you’re dealing with. Good luck with _Saving Mr. Lincoln_ or a new work. I feel like Judith—you can’t go wrong either way.
Pam, glad your son is better, if changed.
This is so tough.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

(((HUGS))), Sarah. Glad you are back at a place where you can choose from an array of writing projects that all sound interesting!

Dora Bramden said...

At a time like this, It might be best to do what you're drawn to. You have some very interesting works to focus on. Take care of your self.

Paty Jager said...

Sarah, Hugs to you and your hubby. Life doesn't always play out like we think it will. I'm glad you found help and are back writing. I say go with what is calling to you the most, be it something new or one of the started projects. You always tell a great story so you can't lose no matter which way you go.

Diana McCollum said...

Like Paty said, you tell a great story. Whichever one is calling to you or the shiney new idea that is just waiting for you to choose, and run with it. I can't wait to read your next story!

Sarah Raplee said...

Pam, thank you for sharing about your son. I'm sorry he will never fully recover from his drug-induced mental illness. we are not optimistic our daughter will either even if she finds recovery.

Sarah Raplee said...

Melissa, Genie, Dora, Paty and Diana,
Thank you all for your support and advice. It means so much!

Sounds like you are all in agreement about following my intuition in making this choice, so that's what I'll do. :)

Maggie Lynch said...

Sarah, I agree with everyone else, go with what is most calling to you and stick with it to the end. Your first Psychic Agent book is very well written and one I took a chance on when it came out, against my experiences of never being pleased with a psychic book. But it was a hit and handled beautifully--both the psychic part and the action/adventure and suspense romance part.

Kudos to you for sharing what you've been dealing with. I think it is important to speak up about these things and it is part of the healing process--if one can heal. I have a niece and nephew in the same family of four children who have had addiction problems with meth (nephew) and heroine (niece) for the past four years and continue to be a problem. I've watched my sister struggle with it and the push and pull between grief and hope, horrific acts that make her children unrecognizable followed by acts of compelling remorse. She is also balancing the raising of her daughter's and her son's toddler children with the need to protect them and the desire to have them know their parents. It is heartbreaking and I can see my sister's soul being crushed with each new round of problems.

So, I appreciate you being open about that part of your life. You are joined by so many who have faced this and are continuing to face it. I'm so glad that you have found a way to a place where you can write again and find some joy in sharing your gift. Truly hugs and kudos to you for making your way out.