Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Many irons in the fire

       When I read this month’s topic - my current work-in-progress – I did one of those laughs that ends in a sob because it suggests a singular WIP. One of the many side effects I’ve experienced during the current world crisis (I’m sick [ha!] of writing the C-word and the P-word) is scattered thinking. When you-know-what hit our shores way, way back in February, I’d been roaring toward the finish line of Book 2 in my fledgling contemporary series, MacLeod’s Cove Romance. Amelia (graphic designer and the heroine’s sister in Book 1) and Nate (owner of a craft brewery) team up to help organize the annual Oktoberfest. Of course, nothing goes to plan, particularly since they can’t agree on anything.

But as I tried to come to terms with the upheaval, my thoughts and ideas went the way of the Dodo for about a month. Once I got over the initial panic (wash all the groceries!!!) and could concentrate in a creative way, I ignored Book 2 and started Book 3 because the characters were new, the plot was shiny, and the writing was fun! I lived vicariously in my simpler fictional world and churned out fifty thousand words in a month. Jinny (Nate’s sister in Book 2) starts working for Bill (former IT whiz) on his restaurant renovation. Unbeknownst to her, and everyone else in town, he’s got a couple of big secrets that end up messing with her mind, man.

And then summer arrived in my corner of the world and because it’s a short season here in Nova Scotia, I was distracted by wanting to be out enjoying the warm weather. I had chicks to tickle, a garden to tend, and some serious exploring of my home and native land (Oh, Canada!) to accomplish. 



So why not put away the current WIP, which was at the fiddly editing stage, and write something short and fun? So here I am with my third work-in-progress, a holiday novella in the MacLeod’s Cove series. Jill is part-owner of a car dealership but is dissatisfied with her life – something is missing. So she rents a cottage on the beach for the week between Christmas and New Year’s for some peace and solitude in which to map out her future, think deep thoughts, and complete an online course called Empowered You! Unfortunately, the reclusive writer living in the big house on the hill ends up being a huge, delicious distraction. Patrick is recovering from a personal tragedy and is unable to write. He’s annoyed by the world, especially that beautiful woman who keeps intruding into his self-imposed self-pity fest.

Three works-in-progress, all close to “the end”.

So…what new story will I start now?



Guess who’s moving in next door?

 

Nicole Bennett is used to bad luck—it’s kind of a family curse. She’s spent the past year stitching her life back together after losing her dream job. Well, it paid the rent. Now stuck working at her family’s grocery store while wrangling a demoralized dad and a spoiled-brat sister, the last thing she needs is for the man who wrecked her life to move in next door, even if it is for only three weeks. So what if he’s sexier than sin and makes her believe in fairy tale endings?

 

Ross Calvert’s life in the fast lane crashed when he lost his job and fiancĂ©e. All he’s got to show for years of hard work are a sleek sports car and a closet full of designer suits – minus the closet. Determined to salvage his relationship with his best friend, he trades in the corporate life for a brief stint as a caregiver. The decision was simple—until he discovers the tempting vixen he wronged lives next door. Maybe she’s what he needs to reboot his life.

 

What starts off as a no-strings fling soon veers into making promises that might be impossible to keep.


https://books2read.com/if-I-didnt-care


Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. She spends her days writing spicy contemporary romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, and historical romance. When not torturing her heroes and heroines, she’s in her kitchen baking something delicious. She lives in Nova Scotia with her patient husband and two spoiled cats.

 

Website ~ Bookbub ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Amazon Author Page

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Luanna, C-19 (I no longer write the C or P words either) did throw many of us off course. I'm always intrigued with anyone who can juggle more than one serious/big writing project at a time (I can work on a book and write a blog post but that's about it).

All of your stories sound like fun reads. Hope you stop by this weekend when I'm hosting the Blog-Versation on "Romance as Therapy" or more accurately reading romance novels to learn what healthy loving relationships look like.

Sarah Raplee said...

I agree with Judith. All of your WIPs sound good! Can't blame you for enjoying the summer weather while it lasts. I'm making it a point to enjoy the present more, as the future is uncertain. Stopping to smell the flowers, pet the pets, enjoy the moonrise on a cool evening, hug the husband - those things keep me sane.

Luanna Stewart said...

Judith, given my above admission of multiple WIPs, you won't be surprised to hear I started a new book yesterday. In my defense, I had a great idea for the opening scene and had to write it down immediately, otherwise it would have disappeared into the ether, never to return.

I'll "see" you this weekend.

Luanna Stewart said...

Sarah, these plague times have definitely taught me to seize the day and not put it off until tomorrow because who knows what tomorrow or next week or next month will bring.

Maggie Lynch said...

Luanna, thanks for making laugh today. When I read about your multiple new book starts it put a big s mile on my face. Unlike me, who has a difficult time returning to a book that is 1/3rd done or starting a new one, you now have four underway.

I did think your Christmas one sounded very much like a potential Hallmark Christmas Movie special. It is exactly the kind of plot they love. So, finish it fast and submit it to them!!! It may not get made for this Christmas, but maybe next year.