Monday, March 1, 2021

The Seasons of Writing by Paty Jager


When I first saw the theme for this month was seasons my mind immediately went to Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. As I digested the idea of what I could write about, I realized seasons are more than the changes of weather. They are the changes of life, the change of career, the change of anything that goes in cycles. 

Realizing it meant more than snow, wind, sun, and cold, my mind jumped into my writing career. It has had it's seasons. 

The tumultuous early years, trying to write a decent book, taking classes, attending writing conferences, and finding time to write while the kids were still at home. I was focused on mystery writing, but forces were against me there, so I turned to romance.

One-by-one the kids left, and I found more time to write, more time to connect with other writers, and more time to research just what publishers and agents were looking for. I also made some long-standing connections with other writers. 

The next season was becoming a published author. I finally had a small press express interest in my writing. That tossed me into writing historical western romance. I wrote 6 books in this genre for them.

Then at a conference editors were looking for historical paranormal romance. I wrote my Spirit Trilogy, also thankfully published by the small press. And at that time I also wrote two contemporary western romance books. One of which won an EPPIE. 

As I began exploring other stories I was interested in writing (Isabella Mumphrey Adventures), author friends began explaining the concept of being a self-published or Indie author. How I'd make more money and have more control over my books. And so began a new season of my writing.

Self-publishing was a bit overwhelming at first, but now I'm so glad I took the plunge. I produced the Adventure trilogy. The first book, Secrets of a Mayan Moon won the Reader's Crown in 2013. The success of that book and producing more books as an Indie author propelled me to return to where I'd started.

My Mystery season had arrived. I wrote the first three books in the Shandra Higheagle Mystery series and was pleased at how well they were received. The first book Double Duplicity was a runner up in the RONE award and Haunting Corpse was a finalist in the Daphne de Maurier contest. This was a balm to my weary soul. I could write mystery books and they would be liked. 

As I continue with my Mystery season, leaving behind writing western romance, (though I still have a couple of series to finish) I am looking forward to a long season with the mystery genre. 

But as seasons do come to an end, this month I published the last book in the Shandra Higheagle Mystery series. Vanishing Dream is book 16 in the series. I felt to keep the series from dwindling a tragic death of getting boring, I would end it now.  With a caveat at the end of the book that there might be more later. ;) 

Here is how the Shandra Higheagle season ends:

Vanishing Dream


Book 16 in the Shandra Higheagle Mystery series

Deception, Gluttony, Murder

Shandra Higheagle Greer’s deceased Nez Perce grandmother appears in her dream, dancing at a powwow. Since Grandmother only appears when there is a murder, Shandra believes, she, Ryan, and the twins should attend the yearly Powwow at the Colville Reservation.

While out for a walk the first night, Shandra sees someone lurking in the dark between the vendor tents. A vendor is discovered the next morning strangled with her own beads.

When members of Shandra’s family are attacked, she finds it hard to stay out of the investigation. While Ryan is working with the Tribal Police, Shandra follows a suspect and is captured. No one knows her whereabouts. Calling upon her grandmother seems futile. The dreams are vanishing and so could her life.

Universal buy link: https://books2read.com/u/4XLkvg 


Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 49 novels, 8 novellas, and short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. This is what Mysteries Etc says about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.”

blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub


Photo courtesy of Paty Jager

5 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

I love hearing about your writing seasons! The blog is so well done. I'v enjoyed your books both historical western, the spirit books and Shandra's stories. Keep on writing you have such a wonderful talent!

Paty Jager said...

Thank you for commenting and your kind words, Diana! I will keep writing until the characters no longer speak to me.

Judith Ashley said...

So true, seasons are more than winter, spring, summer and fall. So glad you took the indie plunge and can write what you so obviously love.

Maggie Lynch said...

I love everything you write, Paty! You've had a long career and have worked very hard in each genre you've tackled. I do think that series come to an end--at least for a few years--either because they come from a different time and place in life or because the author just is more interested in something else. Shandra Higheagle has been like a favorite blanket to me, but I think it is time to say goodbye. I love your new Gabriel Hawke novels and I still have a special place in my heart for your Spirit novels and Isabella Mumphrey. So many great characters all along the way.

Love this post.

Paty Jager said...

Thank you, Judith! I think being able to write what I love is what helps me keep coming up with ideas.

Maggie, Thank you for the kind words! All the series you mentioned have all been my favorites and the ones I have loved writing. The western romance books were interesting to write for the research of history, but they have never been the books I loved writing.