Friday, May 7, 2021

One Contest, 120 Blogs, and a Million Questions about Parallel Universes

Celebrating 10 Years of RTG

Greetings Readers, Writers, and Fellow Members of My Universe,

I’m extremely honored to be part of the Romancing the Genres Blog-O-Versary and delighted to host today’s celebration.  While I can’t claim to be one of the original Blog Queens, my credentials include being one of the earliest Genreistas, having joined in April of 2011. Yes, I did a personal Google to validate that date 😊.

The amazing thing – I’m part of this great group because of a contest. Yes, one little event led to ten years of interaction with people I’ve never met but have come to admire and consider friends.  Honestly, I don’t even remember the name of the writing contest, although I’m sure Judith and Sarah will know, since the competition was hosted by their chapter. I’m pretty sure I didn’t’ finish first either, which goes to show you don’t have to win to be a winner.

Shortly after the contest, I received an email from Sarah, asking if I’d like to be part of a blog group comprised of authors representing different genres. How could I say “no” to such a novel (get it?) concept?

In my introductory blog, one of the questions I answered was: “What’s your genre?

My response: I admit to skepticism when it comes to astrology, but perhaps being a Gemini explains why I can’t settle on just one genre.  I approach writing like a box of candy (NOTE: not as corny in 2011 😊), sinking my teeth into several categories and enjoying every delicious word nougat and buttercream.  My first love is mystery/suspense, but I dabble in YA, light paranormal, contemporary and humor.  

That response should have been an early warning to Sarah and Judith, that I was never going to have a straight-forward answer, nor write a blog directly related to the theme.

Reminiscing makes me wonder, what would have happened if I hadn’t entered that contest? What would have happened if I hadn’t seen or responded to Sarah’s email?

A growing number of physicists propose everyone exists in multiple realities every microsecond of her life. Mindboggling, right? And while I don’t necessarily believe this, anymore than I directly believe in astronomy, I try to keep an open mind, especially when a concept is supported by mathematics.

So…. In an alternate universe…

·       I haven’t become a Genreista, so I’m probably hosting some lame site that begs readers to submit photos of the “Dumbest Thing I’ve Seen All Week.”

·       That website had absolutely no traffic until my daughter (assuming I had her in this universe—and assuming she let’s me blame her blameless-self in this world) posted: TOP TEN HEADLINES ABOUT BREAST MILK.

·       I get lots of traffic, but no book sales because none of my mysteries include anything related to boob juice.

·       I never post my favorite 2011 blog: I Should Write a Book, Too. As a result, you never get to see my interview where I ask future novelists, What genre do you plan to write?

Or see the replies:

Morrel, Marge R.T.: I won’t write that racy stuff.   I want something the entire family can read.

Drew A. Blanque:  There are no Johns in my book.

·    In 2012, no one hears about my favorite great uncle, Noverta Strange, who “allegedly” killed his wife.  The strange twist (pun intended) didn’t happen after the conviction, because Noverta didn’t escape prison and wear the tin star of a deputy sheriff for thirty years. Nope, in this alternate universe Noverta’s wife kills him, and runs away with Elvis.  Even worse, Styrofoam Corpse never gets written, or published (hint: shameless plug). 

·    In this version of the multiverse, you wouldn’t have seen my 2013 blog about Kiko, the wonder Cat, because in this new world, she’s still living—still fetching, still dancing when she hears music, and still tapping the faucet when she wants to wash her paws.

·    The Most Romantic Potato wouldn’t be a “thing” in cyberspace, because I wouldn’t have known one of the 2017 themes was “My Romantic _____.”  Wouldn’t potato have been the first thing you entered into that blank?  After all, potatoes have names like Desiree, Red Bliss, and Purple Viking, and Mr. &Mrs. Potato Head have been married for over 65 years. Still not convinced the potato is romantic. Then picture this: A cold night, a flickering blaze in the fireplace, a good movie, and you…snuggled on the couch with a blanket and a bowl of yummy potato soup. Loaded with cheese.  If you aren’t loving this scenario already, add Ryan Gosling beneath that blanket. And everyone loves French fries—yee-gads, what if there are not fries in this multiverse??

    I’m sure you already know that one event can change everything. If I hadn’t entered that writing contest, we would have missed all this. And I would have missed getting to know a great bunch of authors. Heck, I might have even stopped writing if not for the nudge to get my blog done on the first Wednesday of the month.

I know this has been a cheesy way to review some of the blogs of the past ten years, and I truly appreciate your indulgence.  Just keep reading RTG blogs—we get better every year. Maybe every month.  June’s theme is Relationships/Partners.  If you have any suggestions to make that the best blog ever, just contact me on Jupiter’s moon, Europa (for those of you who won’t be in the neighborhood, just email RobinWeaver913@yahoo.com.

Wishing all of you, in all your multiverses, a happy ending.

Robin

 

6 comments:

Linda Lovely said...

Your decade of blogging has given me lots of laughs. Today included. Keep it up.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for another fun blog post, Robin. I am delighted to read your RTG contributions, and look forward to many more!

Judith Ashley said...

Yes! The BQ's do know the name of the contest "The Golden Rose"! And if you didn't win, you were a finalist or we wouldn't have known who you were.

Memory lane - loved the posts you mentioned. They were memorable. So glad you said "yes" and have stayed with us through the ups and downs of this universe if not the others.

Maggie Lynch said...

As always, you bring a smile to my face. As I do believe in the multi-verse, I'm certain I've seen you in several of those scenarios. And the one you didn't mention which is when you were Mrs. Potato Head in real-life and advocating against the use of yours and your husband's name in so much advertising. :)

I hope you stay blogging for ten more and keep your marvelous sense of humor.

Connelley said...

Haha, so many creative and entertaining blogs that make you think outside the box and smile! Always what I need to distract from the worlds boring and/or stressful days. Enjoyed this! Happy RTG’s-versary!

Robin Weaver, Author said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments.