Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Giving Thanks for All We Have ... by Delsora Lowe

It’s not Thanksgiving yet, but after the year and a half we’ve all endured, there is so much to be thankful for. I mourn those who got sick and passed away or have lingering issues from Covid. The grief will stay with all of us for a long, long time. But I am thankful that those who are close to me managed to stay healthy.

I am thankful for the vaccination that means I can now get out more. I still wear a mask because at this age I have underlying conditions that worsen when I am sick. So, I am also thankful that the mask kept me from developing the flu or colds last winter.

My assortment of masks, bought and made by friends.

I am thankful that I am finally able to visit with friends and family this summer. I can’t begin to tell you how much I missed hugs and in-person conversations and trips that were cancelled and my children and grandsons.

Hanging with friends one warm summer evening - note huge lobster float in the pool

I am thankful for the bounty of the farmers in the area, where I can fill up on wonderful fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, meat, and seafood. And decorate my deck with herbs, lettuce, and tomato seedlings, that are now growing and producing.

I am thankful for the flowers that bloom in my now overgrown garden.

NOT my messy garden, but my son's neighbor's GORGEOUS garden

I am thankful for lobster rolls from one of the food trucks that social distanced on our town mall (the rectangular green that sports a beautiful gazebo where music is played all summer, a Christmas tree that is lit up November through early January, and the area that afforded social distancing for all our farmers to set up their markets.)

I am thankful for all the surprises nature bestows on us every day.

After the storms - mushrooms blossom in the yard

I am thankful for my writing community. All of you have kept me sane, motivated, informed, and sometimes productive. Although I will admit to a great deal of lack of motivation through this last year—you all encouraged me to stay on track. And always provided tons of laughs.

What are you thankful for this summer? 

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Left-Behind-Hartford-Estate-ebook/dp/B08L5N5DS9/

 Books2Read   books2read.com/u/mglVqK

~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet and spicy romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine. Her new novella, The Love Left Behind, will release in late fall, 2020.

Social Media Links:
Author website: www.delsoralowe.com
Facebook Author page:
https://www.facebook.com/delsoraloweauthor/community/
Amazon Author page:
https://www.amazon.com/Delsora-Lowe/e/B01M61OM39/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Books2Read Author page:
https://www.books2read.com/ap/8GWm98/Delsora-Lowe
BookBub Author Page: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/delsora-lowe-93c6987f-129d-483d-9f5a-abe603876518
Goodreads Author Page:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16045986.Delsora_Lowe
Instagram: #delsoralowe / https://www.instagram.com/delsoralowe/

11 comments:

Susan Vaughan said...

Wonderful post. Thanks so much for the reminder of all there is to be thankful for, especially during a Maine summer. I've been feeling isolated and lonely, so this is a boost. Thank you.

Ashley York said...

This is a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing it. Perspective is everything and you've really helped me to have a better attitude. Things are getting better and that's very important.

Judi said...

Thanks for the reminder of things to be thankful for after this past year. I write this while visiting my daughter I've traveled to visit in Asheville, NC. Like you said, Deb, so good to get in-person rather than virtual hugs.

Deb N said...

Susan - sometimes it is hard to remember all the good we have around us. It took a while to remind myself, but once I put pen to paper, I realized how important it is to "stop and smell the roses." and remind myself of things that bring joy in this crazy world. So glad you could stop by today!

Deb N said...

Ashley - thanks for popping in today. I had to laugh, since my perspective hasn't been great lately. Writing this blog sure did help to remind myself. I do need to do this more often, so I am glad my reflections can help others (and in doing so, remind myself of all the good in this world.)

Deb N said...

Oh, Judi - have a blast with your daughter and enjoy beautiful Ashville. Someday, I will get there to visit. I'm booking flights today for my daughter's wedding in November. Still not happy to be flying, but it will be wonderful to see my Denver family in person and for a special occasion. Thanks for checking in.

Sarah Raplee said...

Beautiful, uplifting post, Delsora! I have so much to be thankful for, not the least of which is RTG and our amazing Genre-istas.

Deb N said...

I agree, Sarah - I am so thankful to be a part of this great group.

Judith Ashley said...

Love the "village green" where music is played all summer, Christmas tree goes up in November through early January and the Farmer's Market is held. The closest Farmer's Market is in a grocery store parking lot so while there are fresh foods, the ambiance is missing. And, thanks for the pictures. I'd have missed the giant lobster float in the pool if you hadn't pointed that out.

Deb N said...

Judith - it is such a nice feature in our town and runs several blocks long. We also flood it in the winter for ice skating, plus we now have 5 food trucks who each have a "pad" on which to set up, so there is always something going on in the center of town. Families gather and have lunch and sit on the benches and throw around a frisbee... It's a place where people gather to celebrate or protest issues. And within the next few blocks are indie book stores, restaurants, boutiques. I almost missed the lobster float until I cropped the photo. My friend's grandkids spent the day jumping into the pool and pushing the lobster around on one of our overly HOT June days. Thanks for checking in today!

Maggie Lynch said...

Love this list of thankfulness and especially the pictures! I think it is easy to get lost in all the challenges in the world right now and wonder if we can be thankful again. But your example of making a list and taking the time to notice is absolutely uplifting.

I have two things I do every day to keep me moving forward. I watch the news at night (usually before dinner) so I am aware of the challenges in the world. I also engage in some type of exercise that clears my head and makes me wonder at what the world provides to my life. I take a dance lass called Nia which focuses on the gifts of earth and others. On the days I don't dance, I walk with my phone and camera and take pictures of those things that give me wonder. It may be a small plant I hadn't noticed before, a tree now turning colors, a smell that has changed with the weather, or the way the sun or clouds change my view. All of those still cause wonder and help me to see clearly that in the midst of challenge and tragedy there will continue to be hope and beauty. Somehow I learn to embrace both and move forward.