Friday, September 10, 2021

Change? Who, Me?

 Many of you know that my husband and I have packed up our home in OR, and moved to CA. With that move came many changes.     


We left the climate of the Pacific north west for the much hotter and arid weather of northern CA. We left the high desert 3,500 ft above sea level, cold winters and couple feet of snow, and not many trees. Only to put down our roots in Paradise, 2,200 ft above sea level (no snow, or a dusting) and plenty of Cedars, pines, and hardwood trees. 

We left a city of 130,000 people to a city rebuilding after the devastating Camp fire 3 yrs ago and right now it only has a population of 1,200 people. Well, now 1,202! We love that. No more sitting in traffic trying to get across town. No more rush hour traffic! No more crowded restaurants or stores. And the traffic lights are all new and change with in 15 seconds!

People are friendly, kind and smile. Many lost their homes to the Camp fire, and are rebuilding in Paradise or have put in modulars and moved back.  And they welcome us as new residents. We are doing our part to help the town come back. We shop local as much as we can, even if we have to pay a little more.

I must add how this move has changed me! I've come to the conclusion I have collected an obscene amount of clothes and stuff over 40 years that I no longer need or wear. True some are old favorites but totally not in style any more. When I go to a book signing I want to look my best. Dress for success! Put my best look on, a current look that will say "Hey, I'm a professional and I care how I look."

I have changed in that I am no longer going to be attached to my old clothes. If I haven't worn it in 2 years, off it goes!

I'm going to be a minimalist. If I do decide to buy something new, then something in the closet has to go!

The same goes for all those knick-knacks and dust collectors. I mean do I need 18 different candle holders, when I use the same two or three all the time? I'm cutting back and donating. I no longer want clutter in my life, not physical or emotional.

When we were done packing the house we had 300 black crates with yellow lids, a very small part was from the garage. It was a quick move and we did not get to weed out at the time but threw everything in crates. 

Books are the hardest to weed out. I'm not talking about my one shelf of keepers, the books I'm sure I'll read again someday. I'm talking about books I've inherited or collected. I've a whole bookcase of those. I've never opened up one of them in all the years I've had them. Yikes!!! Do I really need all those, or is it an emotional attachment because of who gave them to me?

What things to you collect or become so attached to you don't think you'll ever part with it?

13 comments:

Lisa said...

So proud of you on your new outlook!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Books are my big collection. Like you, I keep some because of who gave them to me. But mostly, I want them close by because they're like old friends. I take some to the used bookstore (for credit!) now and then, but I don't think I'll ever get to the minimal stage. We all have our weaknesses. ;-)

Sarah Raplee said...

I keep books, but have been cutting back. Now I keep some for research, a few favorites to re-read, and my to-be-read pile (but I thin that periodically.)

Things I've inherited that I don't really need, I'm ready to let go. I am passing those on to kids, grandkids, or donating to charity.

I collected angels for a while, but when I had one for each room in the house, I quit.

Diana McCollum said...

Hi, Lisa,

Thank you!

Lynn,

I agree, books are like old friends! I do think I'll reread some one day. 20 years later I still haven't ! But I can't part with them.

Karen Duvall said...

Hi, Diana! We sure do miss you. Steph, Kathy and I met at Steph's house this morning for coffee and breakfast. We thought of you and how you would have been with us today. :)

Ugh, I hate moving. I recently gave a bunch of books to my husband's employee break room so that others could share. I couldn't believe how many bags of books I sent with him when he went to work. :)

Take care, Diana. Can't wait to see you when you're here next month. Hugs!

Diana McCollum said...

Sarah,
All good ideas on donating or giving away items. Books- yes, I do thin now and then too.

Karen,
So good to hear from you! I can't wait to see you, Kathy and Steph next month.

I like "sent bags of books with husband to work for the break room.". I'm sure they will all appreciate the books.

SusanD said...

You sound so energized. The move has really been good for you. I cleaned out a lot after when Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans--and our house--to the ceiling. But the disaster meant my husband and I didn't need to argue about which books to save. They were all ruined. But we'd read them!

Too funny about 18 different candle holders!

Enjoy your new home. You are truly making it yours.

Deb N said...

Ditto - on the keeping of books. I have culled many out, but still have way too many (many signed by good author friends.) Now I only read on my Kindle, otherwise I would have a very narrow tunnel to walk though in my house :-) And yes, I have paintings my grandfather painted, and things from my grandmother and from my sister. It is very hard to get rid of things from people who are no longer with us. It is so wonderful to hear how happy and content you sound.

Diana McCollum said...

Sue and Deb,

Thank you for your kind words.

Diana

Dari LaRoche said...

I enjoyed your post, Diana. I moved from Florida six years ago and brought several PODS of stuff with me. I still have most of it but am working on going through it. Fortunately, I don't now have a rush like you did this summer. My home has a lot of pottery and eclectic items in it, so many that sometimes I feel I should start labeling all the items with what they are and where they came from like they do in museums. Oh, and I have the shelves of books too. I must admit I hang onto lots of "stuff." Glad you are getting settled and are happy.

K. Loney said...

I'm so glad you guys are so happy there! I just have to say ... After 19 months working from home, I can relate to the "Hey, I'm a professional and I care how I look." statement.... It's going to be a big change if /when some of us have to go back into the office after this! I'll have to get back into that mode of dressing professionally again, too!

We are also trying to go through things even though we are not moving, little by little, shelf by shelf, and I'm trying to keep the mindset of 'clean out as if you were moving'. What would we really keep, in that case? It IS liberating!

Maggie Lynch said...

Wow, Diana! 1,202 population. That is a place you really could no every one's name in a year or two. I'm so happy for you that you love your location and your new home. I'm also pleased that you are fitting in and helping Paradise come back to life.

As for things I carried for a long time, it is also books. When we moved from Ohio to Oregon, we had 83 boxes of books! With two writers in the house you know we both love to read. As my husband was a historical nonfiction writer, he had loads and loads of research material. At the time we had built a cabin home on the lower slopes of Mt. Hood and had a big finished basement that primarily housed our books and bookcases.

Subsequent moves and particularly when we started downsizing ten years ago, I slowly hauled boxes of books to the library. At the same time, for any I felt I couldn't part with I tried to find them as ebooks so I would have them forever. Out of I don't know how many books (over 1,000?) there were less than 100 I purchased ebooks for. Many of the reference books we both felt we could get again by visiting the library. It is very rare I remember a book I gave up and wish I still had it. When that happens, if I really want it I see if I can get it in ebook or get it through an used bookstore or online store.

I know that soon after Paradise burned, there were many projects to send books to the Paradise library. They had a list of about 1,000 books they needed to replace. I think they were able to reopen the library a year later. In any case you might check with them about donating books. Many libraries, will selective accept books they know their community will enjoy. And for those they don't have sufficient space, they will put them in a community library sale and the funds go to support the library.

Judith Ashley said...

Diana,

I've been eyeing my keeper shelves reminding myself that I've 3 full shelves of "keeper" books that I'm not rereading as well as 2 shelves of "keeper" books I've reread at least 3 times.

I've never been someone with lots of clothes so I'm down to no jean, 2 pair of dressy pants, 4 pair of casual (work around house/yard) pants although I do have more tops. I have couple of dressy outfits to wear to "events" like book signings, weddings (one next summer) or for a special occasion.

Even though I've gone through my house top to bottom and cleared out a lot, that was 4 years or so ago and I know there are things like old tax returns that can be put aside for shredding. That would free up storage space in the basement. Oh and if I figure out what I'm going to do about old photos (I want to turn them into digital files) that will free up even more space in the downstairs bedroom.

Always something...but I'll do it while I continue to live here. My downsizing won't be in the square footage of my house but in the items within.